Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Potential client with CMV (cytomagalovirus)
Indoorvoice 07:55 AM 07-10-2015
I have a potential dcg inquiring about my daycare who was born with CMV. Anyone have any experience with this? From what I've Googled, she will have the virus for life and it can be transmitted to others. It's a risk for pregnant women who can pass the virus to their baby who will then have complications from it. We are planning to get pregnant sometime this year, so I'm a little leary of taking her on unless it's easy to keep from spreading. I'm guessing with potty training though, it probably won't be!
NoMoreJuice! 10:27 AM 07-10-2015
Googled it. Sounds like a huge risk to you and your future baby. I would say no.
Second Home 10:48 AM 07-10-2015
^^
I would agree.
daycarediva 10:56 AM 07-10-2015
wouldn't do it either.
Blackcat31 11:18 AM 07-10-2015
Originally Posted by Indoorvoice:
I have a potential dcg inquiring about my daycare who was born with CMV. Anyone have any experience with this? From what I've Googled, she will have the virus for life and it can be transmitted to others. It's a risk for pregnant women who can pass the virus to their baby who will then have complications from it. We are planning to get pregnant sometime this year, so I'm a little leary of taking her on unless it's easy to keep from spreading. I'm guessing with potty training though, it probably won't be!
http://www.cdc.gov/cmv/risk/infants-children.html

Nope. I would not risk it. The above links talks about the risks when caring for young children and mentions pregnancy and it DOES say it is risky.

I would NOT take a child with this and it would not be discriminatory for you to say no as this is NOT a protected disability .
Indoorvoice 01:01 PM 07-10-2015
How do I tell her this? We kind of set up an interview already. Should I go through with the interview and then just not offer the spot, or just cut it off before I even do the interview?
childcaremom 01:03 PM 07-10-2015
I would cancel before the interview. Why waste your time and hers?

I have no idea what to say, though.
Unregistered 01:09 PM 07-10-2015
Say you had some schedule changes and the spot isn't available.
Blackcat31 02:21 PM 07-10-2015
How do I tell her this? We kind of set up an interview already. Should I go through with the interview and then just not offer the spot, or just cut it off before I even do the interview?
Just let her know that you will not be available for an interview as previously thought. I would e-mail it and wouldn't put why...just that you are needing to cancel the interview and that you are sorry but can offer her the number to the local Child Care Resource and Referral offices to aide her in her search for care.

I would not say you filled the space because what happens if she sees you advertise again? Or hears that you are interviewing.

I am guessing she will more than likely put 2 and 2 together and figure out why but I would still go the vague route and hope she just takes it for what's it worth. Something like

Dear Potential DCM

I am writing to let you know that I will be unable to interview with you regarding the space in ABC Child Care and will be cancelling our agreed upon time/date of xx:xx PM on XXX, 2015.

I am including the number to the local CCR&R offices to assist you in securing child care that meets your needs.

I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Sincerely
Provider

Unregistered 05:25 PM 07-12-2015
Its actually a very common virus most people never even know they are positive. Chances are you or your partner are already CMV positive including some of the children you already have in care or have come in contact over the years. Ask your physician for a simple blood test to check if you are positive or not.
Indoorvoice 05:17 AM 07-13-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Its actually a very common virus most people never even know they are positive. Chances are you or your partner are already CMV positive including some of the children you already have in care or have come in contact over the years. Ask your physician for a simple blood test to check if you are positive or not.
Thank you, I did understand that it was fairly common, but if I am negative, doesn't it still pose a risk if I became pregnant? And isn't it also risky for infants in my care? I know we all share illnesses in daycare, but to knowingly be exposing them to a virus seems careless to me. I don't want to wrongly discriminate against this child, but also don't think it's fair to my current families to expose them to an illness I could prevent, kwim?
JoseyJo 07:38 AM 07-13-2015
Thank you, I did understand that it was fairly common, but if I am negative, doesn't it still pose a risk if I became pregnant? And isn't it also risky for infants in my care? I know we all share illnesses in daycare, but to knowingly be exposing them to a virus seems careless to me. I don't want to wrongly discriminate against this child, but also don't think it's fair to my current families to expose them to an illness I could prevent, kwim?
Congenital CMV Infection is NOT the same as CMV. Congenital CMV means her mother was exposed to CMV for the first time when she was pregnant. It means that the child may have physical impairments due to that exposure. It DOES NOT mean that she is more likely to spread the disease than anyone else who has had CMV. 50-85% of adults in the US have had CMV and can pass it. It is passed through close personal contact

CMV is a herpesvirus like chicken pox/shingles, cold sores and mono. It is less known because it is very mild. Most people just think it is a cold and never know they had it. 50- 85% of adults have had CMV and are immune. Once you have CMV it stays in your system (like any herpes virus). You will not get the symptoms again because of your antibodies, but you can spread it to someone who has not had the disease.

If you are negative it IS dangerous to get when you are pregnant. Your doctor can do an antibody test to see if you are immune to it. It is kind of like German Measles- not all that bad of a virus, but if you get it when you are pregnant it can cause severe birth defects.

This child is not more likely to expose you to CMV than 50 -85% of the adults you are in close personal contact with every day. The best course of action would be to be tested for CMV. If you are immune then you could care for the child, if you are not you would not want to. I am sure there are additional precautions to take if you are not immune, as you will be exposed many times over the course of your pregnancy.

-Previous daycare owner, now studying to be a RN
Indoorvoice 07:43 AM 07-13-2015
Thank you SO much for typing all that out! That was very helpful! I will schedule the interview and go from there.
Reply Up