Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Where Did You Buy Supplies?
Unregistered 10:18 AM 02-16-2010
Besides basic supplies- where did you buy child sized tables and chairs? Also do you use rest mats and if you do where did you get them? Do you use cubbies or how do you store child's items. Any help will be grateful.
thanks
MNM
misol 10:49 AM 02-17-2010
Purchasing everything new was just not in my budget. Almost all of my daycare furniture was purchased secondhand. I searched craigslist for daycares that were closing and got a lot of quality pieces that way. After a good cleaning and disinfecting, a lot of my items were like new. You can also try children's consignment shops.
DBug 11:18 AM 02-17-2010
I did the same thing -- scoured the internet for used daycare furniture/equipment. I made my own cubbies using bookshelves and hooks. My kid-size chairs and my high chairs are from Ikea. I use the Lack side tables for kid-size tables (although we only use them for activities, not for eating or heavy-duty crafts). You may want to check out S&S Crafts for supplies and furniture too (www.ssww.com). I pick up toys (only in really good condition) at yard sales and second-hand shops.

When I started, I only bought what I absolutely needed, and I only had one of each thing (1 booster seat, 1 playpen, etc), but as business has picked up, I've been able to invest in more equipment, toys, and furniture. And I think that's good for the parents to see too -- that I'm investing part of my wages back into their kids (it also essentially means more money back in my pocket in the long term, ).

Good luck with your venture!
gkids09 11:45 AM 02-17-2010
My daycare is actually the former home of my great-grandparents. My grandmother established the daycare in the 80's and honestly, a lot of the furniture is from my great-grandparents. The dining room table was theirs, along with the craft table. My grandmother just got the legs cut down so it is now child-sized. There are lots of shelves my grandmother ended up having to buy when she started, but even some of those were here when she started. As for cubbies, we just use dollar store plastic baskets and make and laminate tags with the kid's name and picture, and tie it on the basket with yarn. Then, the kids know where their belongings go and don't just throw them on the floor. We also have a strip of wood with coat hooks screwed into it. (kind of like classrooms at schools have) The kids' names are also on these, so they know where to hang their coats in the mornings. The baskets are where we keep their extra set of clothes and their artwork and notes that need to go home. Around the time that school supplies are out, I ask the parents for a supply fee. I use their supply fee money ONLY for art supplies, and nine times out of ten the supplies last until the next year. As for mats, we used to ask every parent to bring a mat/sleeping bag for their child. We store them in drawers. Sometimes, people go ALL OUT and get HUGE mats or sleeping bags that won't fit into the drawers. Now, we just ask for a pillow and blanket and use the fold-up kindermats from Wal-Mart. When a kid leaves and a new kid will be using the mat, we wash and disinfect. Hope this helps!
safechner 11:46 AM 02-17-2010
I bought some cool stuff at IKea and it is good price to get deal than used. I also bought some used toys at craigslist and I cleaned all of toys and looks like brand new again. Check it out www.ikea.com .
mac60 12:32 PM 02-17-2010
My folding table and chair sets came from Walgreens. They fold up easily for the weekends. I made my own mats out of egg crate mattress toppers and shower curtains and made the pillowcase type slip covers. Bought the little pillows at Goodwill. I have bought quite a few things at Once Upon a Child very reasonably. I did buy a new play kitchen a few months ago. Acquired things thru garage sales.
Unregistered 09:38 AM 02-18-2010
Someone mentioned that Walmart sells Kindermats. I tried looking for them on the Walmart website but not luck. any else find them or how did you find them?

Anyone else have any recommendation for where to buy rest mats.
Unregistered 08:55 PM 02-18-2010
I just have a couple ideas to add. We have the parents supply their own child's playpen when they first enroll their child. I've never heard any of them complain about having to supply one. They keep the playpen at daycare, by the way, so there's no setting it up and taking it down each day. It's really convenient because they each have their own, and we're able to keep their blankets and pillows in it (which saves on storage space). Also, I've thought about having the parents supply their child's school/daycare suplies at the beginning of the year, so that will get you started on supplies, and then when you run out, maybe you can set up a "giving tree", where you write down which supplies you need, and then the parents "pick" one and donate it, if the want. They did this at a different preschool I used to help out at and it worked great! The parents were always sending in donated supplies. This includes kleenex, baby wipes, art supplies, books they don't need anymore, etc.
gkids09 12:06 PM 02-19-2010
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Someone mentioned that Walmart sells Kindermats. I tried looking for them on the Walmart website but not luck. any else find them or how did you find them?

I am honestly not sure if Wal-Mart sells them all year, now that you mention it. I KNOW they are EVERYWHERE in there when school's about to start. I searched walmart.com for Kindermat, and there were lots of results of websites for sleep mats. One is http://www.mynappak.com/ The mats are kind of expensive, but you might can give the parents the option of buying one so their child can take it when they leave. I have a few who have actually done this just so they know it's their kid's own mat.
On http://www.gooddeals.com/products/36...KinderMat.aspx the kindermats are sold in packs of 8, 12, or 24. The prices are shown, and this may be more of what you are looking for. Good luck, and hope this helps!!
momma2girls 12:13 PM 02-19-2010
I just have a couple ideas to add. We have the parents supply their own child's playpen when they first enroll their child. I've never heard any of them complain about having to supply one. They keep the playpen at daycare, by the way, so there's no setting it up and taking it down each day. It's really convenient because they each have their own, and we're able to keep their blankets and pillows in it (which saves on storage space). Also, I've thought about having the parents supply their child's school/daycare suplies at the beginning of the year, so that will get you started on supplies, and then when you run out, maybe you can set up a "giving tree", where you write down which supplies you need, and then the parents "pick" one and donate it, if the want. They did this at a different preschool I used to help out at and it worked great! The parents were always sending in donated supplies. This includes kleenex, baby wipes, art supplies, books they don't need anymore, etc.
I started this yr. to have all new parents that come in supply their own pack and plays. That way it is for their child only and if they pee, poop, vomit, etc. plus all the germs on it, it is theirs to clean and keep!!! I have went thru 4 pack and plays since starting each one costing between $50-125.00 each. A couple of daycare friends are doing this as well!! I think it is a great idea!!!!
mac60 01:06 PM 02-19-2010

I made my own for dirt cheap out of a eggcrate mattress pad and shower cutain to wrap it in. Much better than the ones you can buy at WalMart.
Unregistered 01:00 PM 02-08-2015
I have a COMPLETE Child Care Center of furniture, vans, Playground, Cribs, Decorations, Teaching suppies as well as a full Kitchen. . There is plenty to go around 200 + Children. Toddler Tables. Too much to list but ROCK BOTTOM PRICES. I have my reciepts were I bought the last center ( sold) but I did take my FFEI. Will willing to talk to talk to anyone that is serious.
The Majority of my equipment was purchased from Discount school Supplies and I can bet their prices.
Unregistered 07:56 AM 08-12-2015
Hi,

I am opening a new day care in Pennsylvania and am looking for everything from furniture to books and toys since it is a new business.

Sincerely,

Sarah
Controlled Chaos 11:56 AM 08-12-2015
Hi,

I am opening a new day care in Pennsylvania and am looking for everything from furniture to books and toys since it is a new business.

Sincerely,

Sarah
amazon.com truly I buy everything there. Wait no...I bought kid table and chairs from ikea but EVERYTHING else I own is from amazon
Nisaryn 02:53 PM 08-12-2015
I got a lot of things from amazon.com but a vast majority of it actually came from garage sales! Since I live in a military community people are always moving and they usually want to make as much room as possible on the shipping freights (we are only allowed a certain weight) and so they will sale literally ROOMS FULL worth of toys and equipment. I got pretty much all of my toys, PnPs, highchairs, and other items from garage sales. I just made sure to wash and sanitize everything before I used it.
Thriftylady 03:32 PM 08-12-2015
I have gotten much of my stuff second hand also. Thrift stores, consignment stores, yard sales, facebook sites, etc.
Lovatic24 09:14 PM 08-20-2015
Target has Kindermats this time of year in the back to school section. They are ten dollars apiece and i have some that have lasted two years. My target has red/grey ones.
LysesKids 04:12 AM 08-21-2015
Originally Posted by Lovatic24:
Target has Kindermats this time of year in the back to school section. They are ten dollars apiece and i have some that have lasted two years. My target has red/grey ones.
Targets mats are only 1" thick; many states require a minimum of 2" between the floor & a child, but it's great that some people can use these
Lovatic24 04:17 PM 08-21-2015
Duct tape them together??
Tags:chairs, consignment, furniture, supplies, tables
Reply Up