Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>To Take In More or Not....?
Greenshadow 04:46 PM 06-02-2010
I just moved to this area from another state. I have been providing care here now for only two months. When I started here, I did check rates of other providers and I also checked on the licensing requirements. I was licensed where I used to live but have not licensed myself yet here.

When I started interviews with parents before I took in any kids, I felt like I would only take in one, maybe two kids. Ive had a change of heart and have taken in 4 so far. I am in a smaller home and only use the downstairs but I use ALL of it. One of the mom's is pregnant and due in September. She wants me to watch her new baby too. Newborns for me are fairly easy early on so I agreed. I now have my neighbor asking me to watch her baby in October when she is due and another mom has asked me to watch her new baby when she delivers in December, but will be pulling her daughter from my care to move on to preschool. So I will have my own 3-yr old, 3 2-yr olds, and 3 newborns. Obviously thats more than I can handle. Alone. I may consider hiring someone to help me. My question is this: Because I told my parents at the beginning that I wouldnt take more kids, can I go back and change my mind? At the time, I wasnt interested in taking more kids but Im used to having more (I had 8 when I was licensed) and we could really use the money as we took a huge paycut moving here. What should I do about this? Not take them because I said I wouldnt regardless of how I feel and how we need the money or take them and let the parents decide whether to stay or not?
judytrickett 05:14 PM 06-02-2010
Of course you can change your mind - it's YOUR business.

Does anyone ever begrudge Walmart for expanding?
MarinaVanessa 05:32 PM 06-02-2010
I say do it if it's what you feel like doing it and it's financially smart for you. It's your business afterall. Talk to your parents so that you get a feel for what their opinions are then go from there. You should be fine especially if you are planning on getting more help.

Once you take on the new babies you'll have 3 infants and 3 kids over age 2. In CA that's the maximum for a small home-daycare which means that 1 person should be able to take care of all 6. If you get help then you'll have an easier time of it.
My4SunshineGirlsNY 07:06 PM 06-02-2010
If you're going to get help I would do it. I don't think it's even possible for one to take on 3 infants and 3 two year olds..I suppose it could be done, but not for me....before I was registered I had two 1 year olds, a 4 month old, a 3 year old, and my own 4 kids...at the time my youngest was 3. I had to let one family go because I couldn't keep up with changing all those diapers, feeding the infant, and keeping all those kids safe...not to mention disciplining my 3 year old that was rather difficult...all the chaos made her behavior worse.

It was just too much for me, too much stress. You might want to think about how your day would be with all those kids so close in age and so young before commiting.
Anna 07:59 PM 06-02-2010
Does your state license allow you to hire someone? Here in Hawaii you cannot hire anyone unless they are living with you. Even with having another person helping you the state only allows you to have 8 children total. 4 under 18 months and 4 over 18 months. Without having someone helping you, you can only have 2 under 18 months and 4 over 18 months. I only watch 4. One 3yr old, two 2yr olds, and a 6mo old. I could probably handle one more but I like having a little energy to interact with my husband when he gets home from work !
QualiTcare 09:22 PM 06-02-2010
i would give the parents reasonable notice to find someone else if they aren't comfortable with it. they may not care, but there may be someone who does -especially if you advertised a low ratio. i'd probably write a letter saying you've decided to expand, but the quality of care won't be affected, blah blah blah - feel free to come talk to you about it and all that junk.
boysx5 04:45 AM 06-03-2010
yes of course you can change your mind I started out slow and once all my boys started school full time I was able to handle more. Here in Maryland we can only have two under two unless we have co-provider. I will have six starting next month and although it will be alot I feel like I can't turn away business since the last two years I struggle to get this far and make some money.
Lianne 05:54 AM 06-03-2010
It's your business. You can manage it however you wish to. You're the boss and it's your perogative do expand as you wish.
Greenshadow 08:39 AM 06-03-2010
One of the moms has already mentioned something about me having the four that I have. She said that it was already alot to take on. I reminded her that Ive been doing this most of my life and that its not difficult for me to do just as her job isnt difficult for her to do because she's been doing it awhile. Some people cant handle this work. Im not one of them. So the issue of having more doesnt bother me. What does is that I told her at the beginning that I would keep my ratio's low. With her aware of that, she wanted me to watch her son and her newborn when she delivers in September (after taking time off for maternity). I might lose her if I decide to take on more kids. Which means I'd lose two because of her newborn. I get quite a few calls for care so I'd fill her spot quick but thats not the point. I feel bad telling her one thing and going back on it but things have changed since then and I dont want to tell someone else that I cant watch their child for them when I know I can.

When in California, I was licensed. The ratios mattered. Im not licensed here yet. Do the ratios still matter for me? Ive never worked without one so I have no idea. Thanks everyone for your inputs. I appreciate hearing them all.
MarinaVanessa 08:49 AM 06-03-2010
If you feel that you can do it then I would go for it. I started small also when I first opened. I had three kids plus my own and two of them were infants. I had told them all that I wanted to keep my numbers small and have a small group and they liked the individual attention. As time went by and I felt comfortable I decided to add another kid and ended up accepting two boys (siblings). One family was a little upset but I just explained that financially it was better for me and that I would rather accept 2 more kids than to have to raise her rates. She thought about it differently after that.

If you are seriously considering taking on an assistant you can mention this to her also and say that there's no way it would be too much work since there would be 2 people watching them instead of just 1.
Tags:ratio
Reply Up