Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Christmas
godiva83 06:33 AM 08-22-2011
Hi all,
I just found out my Husband has the week of Christmas off, he works shifts and only has Christmas off every six years. So, I really want to take
A few days off to spend with my family... I didn't write it into my policy or schedule these days off in the beginning of the year when I hand out my closure dates- So do you think I can still take some days off? How should I go about it? I was thinking handing out a Christmas Survey seeing who needs care for what days if anyone can help with wording, it would be greatly appreciated. I know most of my DCK's will be at home with family but I have one DCK that I just know will be here even though his parents are off
Thanks once again.
SilverSabre25 06:46 AM 08-22-2011
Don't ask; tell them! This is a fantastic opportunity for you to get some unexpected relaxation time with your family; take it! You should take it unpaid though.

Tell your families, "Hey, DH unexpectedly is getting the week of Christmas off this year. This hardly ever happens and we're so excited to have a nice relaxing holiday. I'm going to close daycare from [date] until [date] so we can spend time together as a family."

Then don't worry about it; they need to have a back-up situation ready and they need to arrange care themselves. At the beginning of December, send home a reminder: "This is to remind you that daycare will be closed from [date] to [date]. Hope your family has a nice holiday and we'll see you in the new year!"
cheerfuldom 06:48 AM 08-22-2011
What does your contract say about your own time off? I think its a really bad idea to open that week up for discussion but more than likely, every one of those kids will be dropped off (even if the parents say they won't). I think you should just take the time off, write a letter making the parents aware that they need to provide alternate care for their own kids and then enjoy the time off with your hubby!
WImom 06:48 AM 08-22-2011
I think so. You'd be giving them plently of notice and it's your business, I say do what you want.
Cat Herder 06:49 AM 08-22-2011
I close the week of Christmas every year.

4 months notice is plenty.

Edit: I wanted to add that a good will gesture of giving them a free Saturday (9am - 4pm) to shop for their kids presents together as a Holiday Gift goes a long way.
TBird 07:17 AM 08-22-2011
Well firstly, I wouldn't ask them or take a survey. You won't be able to please everyone and someone is bound to feel slighted when you don't go by what they chose in the survey. Also, it's August and you're asking for December...PLENTY of advance notice. I opened again in January....took a week off in July and taking a week off for Christmas. I know you want to be super considerate but this is your business...lay it out in writing ASAP and let it ride!!!

Also, in my contract I have my basic national holidays laid out...
New Year’s Day
Good Friday
Memorial Day
Independence Day (Fourth of July)
Labor Day
Thanksgiving Day & The Day After
Christmas Day (which is really Christmas week)

I lay all of those dates out and what 2 or 3 weeks I'm taking off for vacation (i would only ever take 3 weeks if I had a family reunion during the summer). I hand my notice out on January 1st and have the parents sign & date it. This means they usually have 4 to 6 months to find alternate care (I'm not charging them for my vacations - only my sick days & personal days so money to pay alternate care is not an issue). I go over this page extremely well on the interviews, so I've owned two day cares.....ten years.....never had a parent even blink (except for one parent who asked if I could coincide with her family vacations and I told her a nice, but big, Nooooooooo).
awestbrook713 07:24 AM 08-22-2011
I agree that this is a big enough time frame tell them now and take the time for yourself. Family comes first. I also put the holidays I will be closed in my contract which are Christmas eve, Christmas day, Thanksgiving, 4th of July and New Years day.
wdmmom 07:52 AM 08-22-2011
I'm closed Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, New Years Eve and New Years Day. With Christmas Eve being on Saturday, I'm taking the Friday before (23rd) off. Christmas day is on Sunday so I'm taking the 26th off. New years Eve is Saturday so I'm taking the Friday before. And, I told parent's I'm taking the 27, 28, & 29th off as personal days.

I already gave everyone notice last month and no complaints.

With 11 days off (including weekends), this will give me ample time to celebrate the holiday with my family, my parents, my in-laws, do some baking, and get all the decorations and tree taken down before the daycare kids return on Tuesday, January 3rd!
godiva83 10:25 AM 08-22-2011
Thanks everyone, I guess this being my 1st year open I am still unsure of myself from time to time!
I love the idea of offering up a sat. I know it would come in handy for me so the parents will appreciate that I am sure.
I plan on sending the letter home tomorrow stating I plan on taking the 24th- till 2nd off woo I can't wait to spend some well needed family time together! I am sure I will hear the complaints rolling in as soon as they read the notice- that's if they even read it
Cheers
sharlan 11:32 AM 08-22-2011
Do not ask. You will always have the parent who cries about the inconvenience.

Write up a letter telling them that you will be closed from Dec 23 until ? and have each parent sign a copy. Come the first of November, remind them. Come the first of December, remind them. Come the 16th of December, remind them. Come the 23rd of December, remind them that you will not be open the following week. Mark down on their signed copy every time that you remind them.
CheekyChick 02:01 PM 08-22-2011
You should find out what days ALL of your families will be taking off during the holidays first. Once you find out, write a letter stating:

Dear Parents:

Thank you for giving me your holiday schedules in advance. It appears that most of you are able to spend the week of Christmas with your children. For the few still needing care, I need to inform you that I will be closed from December 19th through the 26th. The intent of this letter is give you plenty of time to find alternate care during the period I will be closed. I will reopen on December 27th - rested and ready to ring in the new year with your little ones.

Thank you,
Miss X
Tags:christmas activities, christmas gifts parents, family thoughtfulness, family time, holidays
Reply Up