Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Neighbors Dog Update
daycare 08:14 PM 08-05-2014
So it's been well over 24 hours and the neighbor just came over and said that they just realized their dog was missing. They wanted to know if I have seen it.

I have not seen it since sunday night when it was pooping on my lawn. I didn't lie and I didn't give any information willingly without them asking. They said if you happen to see it will you call me. Gave me their phone number and then left.

Part of me feels bad, what is going to happen to their dog if they don't get to pick it up? Of course I am not going to tell them.

I am also saddened that they just realized the dog was missing. If my cat is missing for an hour I freak out........

why do I feel so bad????????????
TheGoodLife 08:17 PM 08-05-2014
You feel bad because you're a good person! But they are not responsible pet owners- what if their dog got hit by a car being out so often? Or if it bit an innocent person? I'd just keep up with your telling them you saw it last that Sunday night and keep it at that... it is the truth. Hopefully someone who can provide a good home for the dog will adopt it!
Michelle 08:24 PM 08-05-2014
if that dog is in the pound, they will put it to sleep within a few days
(put it to sleep means kill it) I know some people are ESL
I would tell them where their dog is
you don't know what that family might be going through
personally, maybe struggling with a family member in the hospital or a sick child, just help them and tell them where their dog is

I don't know any back story about this... I spend most of my day taking care of my sweet babies but this just kinda struck me as odd why someone would do this, I am sorry
i just love my animals
Crystal 08:58 PM 08-05-2014
Originally Posted by Michelle:
if that dog is in the pound, they will put it to sleep within a few days
(put it to sleep means kill it) I know some people are ESL
I would tell them where their dog is
you don't know what that family might be going through
personally, maybe struggling with a family member in the hospital or a sick child, just help them and tell them where their dog is

I don't know any back story about this... I spend most of my day taking care of my sweet babies but this just kinda struck me as odd why someone would do this, I am sorry
i just love my animals
Here is the back story:

https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=72664

Daycare.....Don't feel badly about this. You did the right thing....in the best interest of the dog, in the best interest of ensuring your children and families don't get bitten......in the best interest of your business.

You went WAY above and beyond what 99% of neighbors would do by purchasing supplies and repairing their fence. Their lack of appreciation speaks VOLUMES about their character, as well as for their lack of concern for an animal that they took responsibility for when they got him.

I'd stick with the truth.....the last time you saw him was when he was taking a dump on your lawn!
NightOwl 10:48 PM 08-05-2014
Please find a way to tell them where the dog is. They may call animal control, or they may not think to do so. Animal control will euthanize within 5 days, I think, if he isn't claimed. Maybe you could anonymously send them a message or have a trusted neighbor say to them "hey! I saw animal control in the neighborhood the other day..." I know this dog is a pain, but I also know you don't want him dead. You seem like you have a kind heart and would feel terrible if that happened. Don't allow that onto your conscience.

ETA: If you do notify them somehow, and he goes right back to the same routine, don't hesitate to call animal control again. They will know to call the second time around and will start incurring fines. I bet they'll figure out a way to contain him then!
TwinKristi 01:11 AM 08-06-2014
As a dog owner with a missing dog known for getting out, why wouldn't the animal shelter be the first place they call? Probably because they know it was picked up for running free and they didn't know for over a day!
Don't feel bad. They are crappy dog owners and your business and family and yard were at risk (as a tenant this matters...)

Hopefully the dog was taken to a no-kill shelter and maybe adopted out!
daycarediva 03:42 AM 08-06-2014
Here the dog is kept for 72 hours and then put up for adoption. They only euthanize animals deemed not fit for adoption (dangerous or too ill to save). In addition, if they didn't have a license, they CANNOT get the dog back no matter what.

My dd volunteers at 3 local animal shelters.

Call and ask what the procedures are if you're concerned. I WOULD NOT feel bad. The dog deserves better treatment, and so do you.

You are far too kind, daycare.
coolconfidentme 03:44 AM 08-06-2014
Not all places euthanize animals. Most are no kill shelters. I would not point them in the direction of where the dog is. They are grown @$$ people & can figure it out on their own. I would ask the neighbors how the dog got out when you just spent 300 bucks to fix the fence.
NightOwl 04:31 AM 08-06-2014
Originally Posted by coolconfidentme:
Not all places euthanize animals. Most are no kill shelters. I would not point them in the direction of where the dog is. They are grown @$$ people & can figure it out on their own. I would ask the neighbors how the dog got out when you just spent 300 bucks to fix the fence.

This is true, I don't know the laws where daycare lives. Lots of places have went to no kill, but here, we have one of each. The humane society is no kill, but has a 3 month waiting list. It's ridiculous.
Play Care 09:50 AM 08-06-2014
Originally Posted by coolconfidentme:

These people have shown themselves to be irresponsible pet owners. I wouldn't give them another thought. Chances are they'll just replace pooch anyway
Naptime yet? 10:10 AM 08-06-2014
Or, dog will come home & you'll be back to square one. If/when their dog does come home, do you really think they'll start containing it? Are they truly that concerned about the welfare of their dog?

I'm not trying to be negative, it just doesn't seem like the neighbor's (ie you or anyone else on the block) or the dog's best interests have been a concern for them.
deliberateliterate 11:42 AM 08-06-2014
I don't think you did the wrong thing here. I would be worried about the future of this dog, but at least he is safe. Is there anyway you're neighbor can find our who dropped the dog off? The SPCA can't release that info, can they? .
Reply Up