Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Pregnant, When to tell Parents
WAHMderful_Life 06:34 PM 01-11-2016
I run a licensed home daycare and just found out we are expecting our second child . I am wondering how long I should wait until telling my daycare parents?

Luckily 2 of the children I watch are off to kindergarten just before we are due (Planned it that way ) but I have 2 more children who will have to find alternate care. What I am worried about is loosing anyone before my maternity Leave. I am from canada and pay into EI so I will be taking the year off so they will need to find new care.

What do you think is a fare amount of time for them to find new care? I was thinking of telling them at 4 months if I can hide the belly that long

If i tell them at 4 months, then they have to give me 1 months notice before leaving care so that gets me to at least 5 months before possibly loosing anyone. hopefully longer.

I want to be fare to them in giving them time to find new care but I really can't afford to loose anyone early before my due date. What do you think or what are your experiences? Anyone loose clients early or did they stay until your due date?
Indoorvoice 06:44 PM 01-11-2016
I told my parents right away, but I did not tell them yet that I don't plan on reopening after maternity leave. I'm due at the very end of May and will tell them at the beginning of April that I'm not reopening. That gives almost 2 months to find new care, plus most of mine are teachers so they'll have the whole summer too. I think 1 month is plenty, but 2 months is a nice gesture.
Peaches 06:40 AM 01-12-2016
I told my families when I was around 4 months and so far haven't lost a family even though im due in 3 weeks. I've think one thing that helped me keep my family's for longer was I provided a list of alternate providers to them. Plus the the age range i care for has more spots readily availabe in my area.
Play Care 08:41 AM 01-12-2016
Just saw you plan on taking the whole year (and good for you!!!)

I would wait until I was at least 6-7 months along. That gives them plenty of time, IMO. And if I was only taking the substandard US mat leave, I wouldn't tell them until a month before.
Ariana 09:31 AM 01-12-2016
I think your plan is good if you can hide it that long. I was starting to get quite big with my second around month 3.
WAHMderful_Life 10:48 AM 01-12-2016
Thanks for all the feed back

The thing I'm worried about is how long I can hide the belly lol not sure ill get much past 3 months but hoping to make it to at least 4 months haha I have sweater weather working with me at least
Annalee 11:25 AM 01-12-2016
Originally Posted by WAHMderful_Life:
Thanks for all the feed back

The thing I'm worried about is how long I can hide the belly lol not sure ill get much past 3 months but hoping to make it to at least 4 months haha I have sweater weather working with me at least
Not sure what kind of community you are in, but news does travel fast unless you plan to keep your pregnancy from everyone.. The main question I received when pregnant with my two was "are you still going to do daycare?"...which I still continue to do and my second is soon to be a teenager Since you are going to quit for a year, I would keep it hid for a while because I am sure you will receive the same questions which could cause children to leave sooner if they know the answer. Good luck!
Tags:expecting, mat leave, maternity leave, pregnancy
Reply Up