Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Tuition and Short Week
lflick 05:58 AM 11-25-2013
Hello

I have a quick question... in my contract days off are listed and two of those days are Thanksgiving and the day after.... I state that on days I am closed there is no charge; however, I am open three days..... I have a family that is 3 variable days per week which they pay for the first day of care for given week... I am planning in the event they question payment for Friday.... in my thoughts, and the way it was written (or attempted to be)... since I am open three days, which could be their three days as they change from week to week, tuition should be full... have any of you had experience with this type of situation? What was outcome?
jessrlee 06:05 AM 11-25-2013
It depends on how much you will care if they term. I wouldn't fight the fight and just charge for the days they attend.
lflick 06:15 AM 11-25-2013
Actually this is their last week. They were just dropped off in a hurry and I just noticed no payment....
Annalee 06:32 AM 11-25-2013
Originally Posted by lflick:
Hello

I have a quick question... in my contract days off are listed and two of those days are Thanksgiving and the day after.... I state that on days I am closed there is no charge; however, I am open three days..... I have a family that is 3 variable days per week which they pay for the first day of care for given week... I am planning in the event they question payment for Friday.... in my thoughts, and the way it was written (or attempted to be)... since I am open three days, which could be their three days as they change from week to week, tuition should be full... have any of you had experience with this type of situation? What was outcome?
This is one of the reasons I went to straight pay for 52 weeks a year...so many of my parents years ago were paying for days in attendance and spending time with grandma/aunt/whoever just to save money...plus I was becoming burnt out never knowing what my pay would be or how many kids would be here on a given day...

It is so much more worry -free with the 52 week straight pay.
SquirrellyMama 06:54 AM 11-25-2013
I probably wouldn't charge for the 3 days. Since you are usually open 5 days and there is more choice for them. If it is not in your contract I would put it in there in case this situation arises again.

Kelly
SSWonders 06:57 AM 11-25-2013
I have a dcb that attends three days a week - Tu, Th, Fri. This week he is attending today, Tu and maybe W. Their tuition is for three days, paid last Friday, regardless of whether he attends on W or not.
MarinaVanessa 07:01 AM 11-25-2013
Unless the contract says that they must pay for three days minimum I wouldnt charge them for the other days unless they attend through Wednesday. If their contract states that they must pay for three days each week then definitely charge the three days and allow them to attend for the three days.

It's difficult to help for sure without the text, can you quote the contract?
TheGoodLife 07:08 AM 11-25-2013
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
Unless the contract says that they must pay for three days minimum I wouldnt charge them for the other days unless they attend through Wednesday. If their contract states that they must pay for three days each week then definitely charge the three days and allow them to attend for the three days.

It's difficult to help for sure without the text, can you quote the contract?
I agree, if you have a minimum if 3 days a week contracted, that is what they should pay. If you do not have a minimum of days then I would have them pay for what they owe.

If they were supposed to pay at drop off and did not, I'd charge a late fee- what ever is in your contract!
lflick 07:49 AM 11-25-2013
They are contracted for 3 variable days a week. So since I am open 3 days of 5 this week I guess I answered my own question lol
MarinaVanessa 09:59 AM 11-25-2013
Originally Posted by lflick:
They are contracted for 3 variable days a week. So since I am open 3 days of 5 this week I guess I answered my own question lol
Then in this case they should pay for the three days but be able to attend the three days. If they choose not to attend then let that be their own choice but they are contracted for three days. Variable to me means that they have a schedule that changes so they get to tell you which three days they need. This week is only three days so I think that they should pay. What do others think?
williams2008 10:25 AM 11-25-2013
Then in this case they should pay for the three days but be able to attend the three days. If they choose not to attend then let that be their own choice but they are contracted for three days. Variable to me means that they have a schedule that changes so they get to tell you which three days they need. This week is only three days so I think that they should pay. What do others think?

Crazy8 12:18 PM 11-25-2013
I disagree. If they are scheduled for 3 variable days they could say their days this week are Mon, Thurs & Fri. and since you are closed Thurs. and Fri. without pay they would only have to pay for Monday. Its really all in how your contract is worded and I think this is an area you may want to rework.

Lots of issues here - 1st, have a set schedule or at least require their variable schedule in advance so that this question wouldn't even come up. 2nd, have it spelled out how p/t's (variable or not) pay for holidays and 3rd, get paid for the holidays - you deserve it!!!
MarinaVanessa 02:01 PM 11-25-2013
Originally Posted by Crazy8:
I disagree. If they are scheduled for 3 variable days they could say their days this week are Mon, Thurs & Fri. and since you are closed Thurs. and Fri. without pay they would only have to pay for Monday. Its really all in how your contract is worded and I think this is an area you may want to rework.

Lots of issues here - 1st, have a set schedule or at least require their variable schedule in advance so that this question wouldn't even come up. 2nd, have it spelled out how p/t's (variable or not) pay for holidays and 3rd, get paid for the holidays - you deserve it!!!
This is true! I didn't catch the non-payment for days she's closed.
lflick 04:07 PM 11-25-2013
See this is what I was looking for... feedback... thank you...

I do not receive a schedule ahead of time (argh)... in fact sometimes I get it at like 10pm the night before their first day..... let's just say it's been a nitemare and I am thankful for having other regularly scheduled kiddos! There have also been numerous, almost weekly, occasions in which "grandma" decides to take them for a day and they only come two days..... It's been VERY difficult to schedule any personal appointments that I NEED to schedule... not to mention taxing stress wise.

They had signed up for the three variable days after seeing what days I was closed... unless of course signed contract without actually reading... which is more probable..... Anyways, they are also supposed to have their schedule in a week in advance.... IE DD is the one that supposidly has to wait for his schedule and it goes from say Tues - Tues.... I kid you NOT I have yet to have a schedule given without asking on Sunday usually......
Reply Up