Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Curriculum Questionn "Carols Affordable"
frugalmama4 11:51 AM 01-07-2014
Good Afternoon All,

Anyone currently or recently used Carols Affordable Curriculum...for ages 18-36mos?

If so would are your thoughts on it?

I have tired doing my own which is cheaper however, my life/schedule just don't allow for the time at this point...so I need to do a pre-package curriculum.

Thanks for any feed back!
Lucy 11:55 AM 01-07-2014
It took me a few seconds, but I'm sure you mean 18-36 MONTHS, right?
frugalmama4 11:59 AM 01-07-2014
Originally Posted by Lucy:
It took me a few seconds, but I'm sure you mean 18-36 MONTHS, right?
Yep...thx I fixed it
butterfly 12:38 PM 01-07-2014
I keep waiting for someone to respond to this. I have looked at doing this one, but I just didn't feel like it would offer enough... curious to see what others have to say.
frugalmama4 01:08 PM 01-07-2014
Originally Posted by butterfly:
I keep waiting for someone to respond to this. I have looked at doing this one, but I just didn't feel like it would offer enough... curious to see what others have to say.
Yea, I know I will still have to add something...my issue is the arts/craft projections...this is the main reason I'm going to a pre-packed curriculum. I just don't have time to plan and put together "take home art" and I'm not really that creative so having something to at least build from will help a lot.

This is how our daily learning goes as of now,

8:30-9:00 free paly
9:00-10:00 (out door play)
10:00-11:00 hands on/dvd learning, we go over all our poster "abc/123/shapes/colors/sight words/sign language. do some coloring and big crafts on Thursday "usually"

Hopefully some one out there has a little feed back!
DaisyMamma 01:55 PM 01-07-2014
I've never used it, but I think I will order a month and see how it is.
LaLa1923 06:10 PM 01-07-2014
I have it and I really didn't think it was developmentally appropriate for 18months. I would say no younger than 2.
wabbittrouble 05:58 AM 01-08-2014
I have used it in the past. I used Mother Goose Time before that and it was so expensive I had to go cheaper with Carol's. Carol's is OK but the crafts are mostly paper, whereas with MG you got a lot of different materials. If I could afford it, MG would be my choice.
Annalee 06:09 AM 01-08-2014
Originally Posted by wabbittrouble:
I have used it in the past. I used Mother Goose Time before that and it was so expensive I had to go cheaper with Carol's. Carol's is OK but the crafts are mostly paper, whereas with MG you got a lot of different materials. If I could afford it, MG would be my choice.
I have used MG and Funshine. I liked Funshine because there were many things I could laminate and use for my dc room (displays, center materials, lots of literacy materials) but have used my own curriculum for the past several years. Since I have went to a more open-ended, exploration, play-based environment, I set my room up and the children then make their own learning experiences. We do have group time and some adult-directed activities but child-directed happens the majority of the day. Again, part of the QRIS system.
dalman 10:02 AM 01-08-2014
I prefer Funshine Express. The projects are prepackaged and include almost everything you need, except: paint, tape, glue, crayons. I find that those children under two are not capable of doing much in the way of crafts. Those children that are two to three have a hard time with cutting and glue, so I do that for them. I find that there are more projects in the box than we are able to finish most months, but I like having the option of using what I want.
My3cents 10:55 AM 01-08-2014
I like MGT

more stuff then I use, but I can pick what I want to do that will work for the group that I have.

It's expensive. but if I figure in my time, running around for supplies, the supplies, copies and ink etc..... it is prob cheaper. Going to the store for one things say glue for example can lead me into coming home with a bunch of other stuff I prob would not have bought other wise. Kind of like going shopping when your hungry.

I like the color, doing color copies of things for me was way expensive. I like that it covers a wide range of what the kids should be learning and breaks it all down. My time was a big factor in choosing this program. I work long hours as it is, so putting in more time on my own time was more then I wanted to do. I had to let my family time be my family time and that was including any time that I had during the day with the kids to plan, just never seemed to be enough time to do all that I wanted to do.

I can have the projects be open ended as much or as little as I want- I can also add to it from whatever else I want to do.

I like MGT for now-
Reply Up