Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Is $5 Enough To Get You Out Of Bed Earlier??
Crazy8 11:59 AM 05-23-2014
if you had a dc client who needed care a half hour before anyone else comes right now, would $5/day ($25/week) be enough to get you to do it? Your workday would be 9.5 hours instead of 9 hours so not a crazy long day.

I thought it was enough but now with rushing to be ready on time and dealing with a loud child coming in when mine are still sleeping, etc. I am second guessing it. Would you do it and for how much extra?
craftymissbeth 12:00 PM 05-23-2014
That's what my rate is for early drop-offs between 6-7am. $5 per day per child... but ONLY if they go back to sleep until 7.
drseuss 12:01 PM 05-23-2014
Yeah...I think I'd do that. A hundred dollars a month pays a bill. More than half an hour is pushing it with me. I need my sleep and every morning I use every second I have getting ready.
melilley 12:02 PM 05-23-2014
Depends on how early that half hour is!
Crazy8 12:06 PM 05-23-2014
Originally Posted by melilley:
Depends on how early that half hour is!
its only 7:30 instead of 8:00am. Not crazy early, I am just not a morning person, LOL! And I have opened at that time in the past, but right now I just seem to have all 8-8:30 arrivals.
melilley 12:18 PM 05-23-2014
I would do it. Although, it is hard to open earlier, especially when you're used to them coming in later!
cheerfuldom 12:30 PM 05-23-2014
I am going to do it next year for a family. But I completely understand the morning issue. I will have three to get out the door by 8am so it is a juggling act with kids showing up as early as 7am here. But I get off work by 4! so it is worth it to me.

but if it is not worth it to you, than just tell the parent it is not working out. I am only doing it because the child coming goes right back to sleep. I would not do an early dropoff for a child that is running around and acting crazy. I would either train them to watch TV for that 30 minutes if they will do that or sit at the table with table activities upstairs but I would not entertain or let them run wild. I dont use TV for any other part of the day but I would for early drop offs if that is what makes the day work!
Heidi 12:35 PM 05-23-2014
Depends on the kid...

One that would go lay down and have some quiet time for 1/2 hour? Sure

One that would come in the door yelling, throwing fits, or generally being loud, no way Jose'
TwinKristi 12:37 PM 05-23-2014
Depends on how early?
Jack Sprat 12:44 PM 05-23-2014
I would at that time...My earliest kid comes at 6:30. I won't go earlier. I wouldn't go earlier for $25 a week.
Crazy8 12:51 PM 05-23-2014
does your answer change if its a school ager who only comes for that hour in the morning???

7:30 really isn't early enough to go back to sleep when other kids are arriving at 8am, kids are going out for bus at 8:30am, etc. If I had a kid coming at 6-6:30am I would do the sleep thing but by 7:30 seems too late for that.
midaycare 12:56 PM 05-23-2014
My earliest is 6:45 am but yes, $5 a day would get me out of bed earlier. That's roughly $1000-$1200 a year, depending on vacations.
Leigh 05:08 PM 05-23-2014
I would open at 7:30 for $5/day. Earlier than that would take a lot more money, honestly. I have a hard enough time opening my door by 7:30, I'm usually up until midnight cooking and cleaning and getting ready for my next day.
TickleMonster 12:55 PM 05-24-2014
We do it. In fact we open 2 hours early for one of our moms. She has to drop her baby off at about 5:15am. Its no big deal. The dcg goes back to sleep and I take the early mornings to enjoy coffee and quiet time. We do not charge her anything extra for this. But she is a special case.
CraftyMom 01:04 PM 05-24-2014
I'm debating this myself right now. I have a child that needs to come an hour early. I said yes for $5 more per day. I'm wondering if it's worth it, since I have to get my kids off to school.

The parents are also debating. They don't want to pay more for coming early. I would not do it for the same pay
Crazy8 02:57 PM 05-24-2014
Its really funny, because I have been debating this situation for a while now, and I asked about it a while back and everyone said "no way" to taking the school aged kids for an hour in the morning. But when I'm looking at it from the money standpoint only everyone (most) seem to say yes.

I am so torn on taking this kid back (and adding his sibling next year). Its not "hard" work and it adds up to about $2,000 for the year (about $200/month). Its only 1 hour every morning, doesn't interfere with my ratios or anything but it requires me being ready a half hour early. Its not even really a matter of being up because I try to get up and work out most mornings anyway, it just means being showered and ready 30 min. earlier than any of my other kids come.

Just the thought of them coming in all loud and annoying every morning is what is holding me back but then I think its only 45-60 min. each day, I can handle that.
Annalee 03:16 PM 05-24-2014
Originally Posted by crazy8:
if you had a dc client who needed care a half hour before anyone else comes right now, would $5/day ($25/week) be enough to get you to do it? Your workday would be 9.5 hours instead of 9 hours so not a crazy long day.

I thought it was enough but now with rushing to be ready on time and dealing with a loud child coming in when mine are still sleeping, etc. I am second guessing it. Would you do it and for how much extra?
absolutely not!!!!!!! For no amount of money!!!!!!!
Annalee 03:22 PM 05-24-2014
Originally Posted by Annalee:
absolutely not!!!!!!! For no amount of money!!!!!!!
I am on an ipad and not doing so well...lol but I have had bad luck with the just 30 mins early kids.... It always runs longer or they do not show up and i have to enforce payment...not worth that to me!
CraftyMom 03:49 PM 05-24-2014
Originally Posted by Crazy8:
Its really funny, because I have been debating this situation for a while now, and I asked about it a while back and everyone said "no way" to taking the school aged kids for an hour in the morning. But when I'm looking at it from the money standpoint only everyone (most) seem to say yes.

It may be the school age part that everyone was saying no to.

It's a tough decision to open early at all. I personally would not do it for a school age child.

School agers are tough, and like you said loud and annoying. I wouldn't want to be awake early and start my day that way
DaisyMamma 06:18 AM 05-26-2014
If it meant losing the kid if I said no and I needed that kid I would do it. But I'd also look for a replacement.
$25 isn't enough. $50 I would consider. But it also depends on the kid. Is he quiet? Does he come in and watch tv for a half hour, or read books or use the iPad quietly? Or does he get in the way while you're getting your kids up, and make lots of noise?
It might just be that you're not used to it yet. In about two weeks it will be normal routine and you might not even question it anymore.
saved4always 12:26 PM 05-26-2014
Originally Posted by Crazy8:
its only 7:30 instead of 8:00am. Not crazy early, I am just not a morning person, LOL! And I have opened at that time in the past, but right now I just seem to have all 8-8:30 arrivals.
I would do it for this 7:30 time. If it was something early like 6 am, I would not feel it was worth it. Nothing that makes me lose sleep time .
Crazy8 08:04 AM 05-27-2014
Originally Posted by DaisyMamma:
If it meant losing the kid if I said no and I needed that kid I would do it. But I'd also look for a replacement.
$25 isn't enough. $50 I would consider. But it also depends on the kid. Is he quiet? Does he come in and watch tv for a half hour, or read books or use the iPad quietly? Or does he get in the way while you're getting your kids up, and make lots of noise?
It might just be that you're not used to it yet. In about two weeks it will be normal routine and you might not even question it anymore.
I've been doing it since September, LOL!!!

He is ok - a little hyper and comes in loud too often but when I get stern he will quiet down and read or play with blocks, etc. I've dealt with it since Sept. because I had the family for years before they were school age and I know they are going thru a lot (divorce, etc.) and I wanted to help them but dad's days are much earlier than I'd like and I start to resent it when he's standing at my door and I really could use 10 more minutes to do my hair!

Next year would be 2 kids so double the money too ($10/day). They aren't bad kids, not destructive or anything, just a little too much energy some mornings. Once my little dc kids start coming in it can get crazy but then its only 15 min. or so till they are on the bus. I don't take them on no school days - only for that hour in the morning till they get on the bus so it would never go beyond that.
Reply Up