Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I'm Pretty Sure I'm Gonna Get My Notice...
wdmmom 06:14 AM 03-31-2011
So I'm pretty sure that I'm going to get notice from one of my parents today. She got a new job and I can't and won't accommodate the new hours. This mom is a single parent and I've bent over backwards for her for the past 2 years! Charging her about $100 less a month on childcare because I knew she couldn't afford it, sent home gifts for the child, accommodate her weird schedule for the past 2 years, etc.

I'm sure today is dooms day. How do I tell her that if she cancels, payment is due today and it's going to cost her a ton because my paid time off is accrued? She's going to owe over $300 to cancel services and I don't think she's going to like it. I'd like to maintain a cordial/professional relationship and demand payment in full when she hands me her notice? I think she's going to be taken back by it.

Help...
momatheart 06:19 AM 03-31-2011
In my opinion since you have already cut her 100 dollars off per month she is going to expect that you waive this fee as well.

Maybe after stating that she owes you 300 dollars can you have a copy of your policy on hand when she picks up and say I am willing to work on the payment due to me? Or say I will cut this amount due to me to 200 dollars?
marniewon 06:21 AM 03-31-2011
Is it in your handbook anywhere about payment being due when notice is given? Or how your time off accrues? How many weeks worth would that $300 be?
wdmmom 06:55 AM 03-31-2011
My handbook specifically states notice is only accepted on your childs last day of attendance for the week and it must be received in writing. Payment will also be due at that time.

I receive 18 holidays, vacation, and personal/sick days. If you divide it over 12 months, it's accrued at 1.58 days per month. I've only taken New Years Day as a holiday...no other days have been taken. According to my calculations, she owes 4.53 days of accrued time off at $30 per day. (I charge her $5 less per day because she is a single parent...that's the $100 per month she's saving)

She pays bi-weekly and has already paid for part time hours next week but this new job is full time doubling the rate($75, $150 for the following week and $135 for accrued time off.)

I'd be willing to bet either:
A.) She'll cut a check but possibly stop payment
~OR~
B.) Not show up on Monday
laundrymom 07:19 AM 03-31-2011
I would take it to her bank. As soon as you can immediately after she gives it if possible. Then if she tries to stop payment it's her bank her account and her tough luck. she[ =wdmmom;99166]My handbook specifically states notice is only accepted on your childs last day of attendance for the week and it must be received in writing. Payment will also be due at that time.

I receive 18 holidays, vacation, and personal/sick days. If you divide it over 12 months, it's accrued at 1.58 days per month. I've only taken New Years Day as a holiday...no other days have been taken. According to my calculations, she owes 4.53 days of accrued time off at $30 per day. (I charge her $5 less per day because she is a single parent...that's the $100 per month she's saving)

She pays bi-weekly and has already paid for part time hours next week but this new job is full time doubling the rate($75, $150 for the following week and $135 for accrued time off.)

I'd be willing to bet either:
A.) She'll cut a check but possibly stop payment
~OR~
B.) Not show up on Monday[/quote]
bgmeyers 07:22 AM 03-31-2011
I'd be prepared for her with a copy of the contract she signed.
Just say that you were pretty sure this was going to happen.
Have a bill ready that itemizes her charges.

If she seems like the type to stop payment or just not show up, stress that you know she will honor her contract, because small claims is such pain for both of you. (This will let her know that you mean business and make her think you have experience with this.)
MyAngels 07:44 AM 03-31-2011
Originally Posted by bgmeyers:
I'd be prepared for her with a copy of the contract she signed.
Just say that you were pretty sure this was going to happen.
Have a bill ready that itemizes her charges.

If she seems like the type to stop payment or just not show up, stress that you know she will honor her contract, because small claims is such pain for both of you. (This will let her know that you mean business and make her think you have experience with this.)
This is good - then when she hands you the check, shut the door, hop in the car and head straight to her bank to cash it .
Meyou 09:01 AM 03-31-2011
Originally Posted by MyAngels:
This is good - then when she hands you the check, shut the door, hop in the car and head straight to her bank to cash it .
Yep if you take it to HER bank they will certify the cheque and hold the funds in her account until it clears. She can't put a stop payment at that point on it. I've had to do it before with a family that liked to bounce cheques.
Lucy 09:46 AM 03-31-2011
I think you can have something already written up that you can give her when she informs you they're leaving. I would work with her and let her know that you know money is tight for her, and that you are willing to take payments of $100 a month, or maybe $150 a month. That's probably what I'd do. I feel like if I spring a huge amount on someone who barely gets by paycheck to paycheck, that it is going to look overwhelming, and they're likely to find ways not to pay ANY of it. But if you present it in a way that shows sympathy for their situation, and willingness to work with them, they're going to accept it easier and be more likely to pay you off. Now, if it comes time for that payment and it's late, I would be on her like stink on poop. Not in a mean way, but just by calling, texting, emailing, etc. constantly, and always with a nice tone. I don't get nasty until they do. I may FEEL nasty toward them, but I don't show it, or I risk getting my money.
Unregistered 10:51 AM 03-31-2011
always the ones you give a break to that end up screwing you....
wdmmom 05:46 PM 03-31-2011
Well, as it turned out...

I did in fact get my notice AND I did get paid...in cash even! The balance was $335, I accepted $300 in cash as payment in full.

I feel bad that after 2 years of watching this girl she is leaving but I don't see any other alternative. I can't accommodate EVERYONE'S changing schedule or I'd work 24 hours a day!
momatheart 05:47 PM 03-31-2011
I am glad this turned out for you.
Abigail 05:55 PM 03-31-2011
How do you get your paid time off accrued to make sense? I'm a little confused. Did she not pay you when you were closed? How does it work?
wdmmom 06:08 PM 03-31-2011
Accrued time off is just that. If you take 19 days off a year, you divide it over the course of 12 months...meaning you accrue paid time off at a rate of 1.58 days per month.

(It's no different than an employee at a supermarket I know. For every 40 hour work week he puts in, he accrues 1 hour of vacation. So...if he worked 20 weeks and had 20 hours vacation accrued and left his job, they would need to pay him for his accrued vacation time.)

This particular child will be leaving on April 14th. I calculate any holiday/vacation/personal days I have taken...1 (New Years.) 1.58 days per month times 3.5 months (January, February, March & 1/2 April) Subtract days taken. In this case, parent is responsible for Parent is then responsible for 4.5 days. Take 4.5 days times their daily rate.
Tags:money owed, notice, penalties, single mom excuse
Reply Up