Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Need Advice ASAP - Sketchy Story
Unregistered 10:26 AM 01-21-2014
Ok guys I'm a registered user but wanted to stay anonymous due to the subject matter. I have a dcm drop off this morning and give me a story about their child eating a tube of food coloring and that she was pooping blue so if I saw that her bottom or poop was blue that was the reason. As soon as I changed her I noticed the blue she was referring to. It's just on one side of her behind and looks like a big ol' bruise to me. How would you address this? I'm licensed and have a call into my rep for advice but don't know if I should tell her that it looks like a bruise to me and just have her confirm the story. I have no idea. Totally at a loss. Advice would be greatly, greatly appreciated!!
SilverSabre25 10:59 AM 01-21-2014
*snicker* pooping blue....tube of food coloring. That's funny. that'll be one to tell friends when she's a teenager. hee hee hee.

Anyway.

that's an awfully whacky story to make up to cover up a bruise. And anyway, there are a lot of possible non-sinister reasons for bruises on the booty. If baby is old enough to be eating a tube of food coloring, then baby is mobile. Could have fallen on a toy or a block, bumped into the corner of something, etc. My son often has bruises on his bottom from one nutty escapade or another. Okay not often, but he's 2.5 and has been walking for almost 2 years, and has had at least 4 or 5 bruises like that.

Long story short....I wouldn't be too worried.
daycarediva 11:00 AM 01-21-2014
Ate food coloring last night, pooped and it stained ONE butt cheek. Sounds fishy to me. I would ask dcm how it happened through text or email again. "dcm saw the spot you are referring to on jr's tush. How did that happen again?"

so I had documentation. If it looks like a bruise, it's probably a bruise!
Unregistered 11:02 AM 01-21-2014
I totally agree it could have come from anything, the dck is definitely in that age range of bruise central from head to toe just from playing. The thing that most bothers me is why cover it up? It's just the fact that she's not being honest I guess.
coolconfidentme 11:04 AM 01-21-2014
If you are unsure, call your state consultant. If you feel the child was harmed, then report it. Your job is to protect the child as well as provide care. I always error on the side of the child, every time.
EchoMom 11:05 AM 01-21-2014
It is such a bizarre story I'm inclined to believe her. I do know that cupcakes with lots of dye do make your poop sooooo colored. I had a toddler poop blue black after his birthday party and it did indeed stain his butt cheeks. And if the kid is in a diaper it's totally possible the poop squished only to one side.
Play Care 11:07 AM 01-21-2014
Originally Posted by EchoMom:
It is such a bizarre story I'm inclined to believe her. I do know that cupcakes with lots of dye do make your poop sooooo colored. I had a toddler poop blue black after his birthday party and it did indeed stain his butt cheeks. And if the kid is in a diaper it's totally possible the poop squished only to one side.

Heidi 11:08 AM 01-21-2014
Maybe the two are unrelated....she fell on her bottom AND ate a tube of food coloring.

Buuttt...I used food coloring this morning, and my hands are still stained. It'll take at least another 35 washings for it to be gone. Had I EATEN the food coloring, my mouth would also be stained. KWIM? It doesn't just wash off...
KDC 11:08 AM 01-21-2014
I have a family of a 7.5 month old, and they've been making their own baby food and blueberry/cherry if a favorite and I have seen his tush a little stained because of it, luckily they did it over the weekend and saw it for themselves first because it does look like bruising. If you've never suspected anything before, it is a viable story. Go with your gut.
butterfly 11:09 AM 01-21-2014
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Ok guys I'm a registered user but wanted to stay anonymous due to the subject matter. I have a dcm drop off this morning and give me a story about their child eating a tube of food coloring and that she was pooping blue so if I saw that her bottom or poop was blue that was the reason. As soon as I changed her I noticed the blue she was referring to. It's just on one side of her behind and looks like a big ol' bruise to me. How would you address this? I'm licensed and have a call into my rep for advice but don't know if I should tell her that it looks like a bruise to me and just have her confirm the story. I have no idea. Totally at a loss. Advice would be greatly, greatly appreciated!!
I'd definitely be watching this child's bowel movements today! If they looked normal than I would be concerned. I have a kid that everytime he eats cherries it stains his bottom and looks as though it's a bruise - even when changed rather quickly after having a BM.

You probably know from the parents past history if this is something you should be concerned about. And if you are having doubts than I'd have to say report it.
Unregistered 11:11 AM 01-21-2014
Did you try to wash it off? Like an alcohol swab? A way to see a bruise is shining a light on it in the dark. It will look yellow if it's a bruise. One of my DCBs had a large blue spot on his scrotum and I had mom take him in and the first dr tried to clean it off first thinking it looked like ink. But when they returned a few days later because it was still there the other Ped turned off the lights and put his light near it and it looked yellow under the light meaning it was a bruise not a blood vessel or testicle problem.
Hunni Bee 11:17 AM 01-21-2014
That sounds like a load of crap, I'm sorry.

If the child ate a tube of food coloring, her mouth, face and hands would be stained as well. You would've noticed it before she even said anything.

Also, if that's what happened, her actual anus would be bluish, not one butt cheek.

I agree with OP, a young child getting a bruise on the butt is not really a cause for alarm but the outlandish lie IS.

I'd document and call the mom and have her confirm the story again. Write down everything she says and definitely watch this family.
Jack Sprat 11:45 AM 01-21-2014
Originally Posted by Heidi:
Buuttt...I used food coloring this morning, and my hands are still stained. It'll take at least another 35 washings for it to be gone. Had I EATEN the food coloring, my mouth would also be stained. KWIM? It doesn't just wash off...

I also would think you would still be seeing it other places..
craftymissbeth 11:55 AM 01-21-2014
Originally Posted by Hunni Bee:

If the child ate a tube of food coloring, her mouth, face and hands would be stained as well. You would've noticed it before she even said anything.

Also, if that's what happened, her actual anus would be bluish, not one butt cheek.

I agree with OP, a young child getting a bruise on the butt is not really a cause for alarm but the outlandish lie IS.

I'd document and call the mom and have her confirm the story again. Write down everything she says and definitely watch this family.

How'd they manage to get it off of his mouth and hands?
crazydaycarelady 12:19 PM 01-21-2014
I don't believe the food coloring story either because the child would have it on their hands and mouth.

With that being said I wouldn't worry about one bruise. Things happen. Kids are klutzy
BrooklynM 02:57 PM 01-21-2014
Put vinegar on a paper towel, wipe the area, if it doesn't come off, then put baking soda with the vinegar, make a paste and see if any comes off on a paper towel, if it does, you know that the story is true!
Annalee 06:30 PM 01-21-2014
I have two sons and know how bruises can and do happen. I just can't help but wonder why the food coloring fabrication if it is, in fact, just a simple bruise from normal happenings. It is like the parents are trying to hide something.
Daycaregranny 07:05 PM 01-21-2014
My vote is go with your gut as well. Is this the first time something like this has happened to this child? Has the child had other unexplained accidents? Is the family sketchy? If the answer is no to these questions than believe her and tell her "wow, I'm glad you told me about that food coloring because that really looks like a bruise!" Geeze. On a side note my brother ate a tube of ick cure ( for fish) when he was little, he was completely blue (even his eyes) for days!
coolconfidentme 03:18 AM 01-22-2014
Tell us what happened!!
jessrlee 03:36 AM 01-22-2014
Originally Posted by coolconfidentme:
Tell us what happened!!
ROFL! What she said! I'm on the edge of my seat!
taylorw1210 05:30 AM 01-22-2014
If dcm had come to me and said, "I have no idea how so-and-so got this bruise on her bum, but she has one just do you know!" I would think nothing of it. Kids are kids. However, I'd be concerned because of the cover up and lack of blue on the hands/lips/mouth...
taylorw1210 05:31 AM 01-22-2014
Originally Posted by coolconfidentme:
Tell us what happened!!
Ditto!
Blackcat31 07:47 AM 01-22-2014
Originally Posted by Hunni Bee:

This ^^

Plus, HOW did the child manage to get their hands on a tube of food coloring?

Where was the parental supervision?

Obviously there are several things wrong with this story.

I'd document and report. Takes it out of your hands and covers your butt.
LadyPearl 09:37 AM 01-22-2014
Well, bruises will turn yellow as they age. You could always wait to see if her bum turns yellow for better proof.
LadyPearl 09:39 AM 01-22-2014
Originally Posted by Unregistered:

Check for yellowing of the bruise as it ages.
Reply Up