Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>When Is It Throwing Up vs Spitting Up?
Second Home 05:57 AM 09-09-2019
I have a dck who is 15 months old. As an infant she spit up all the time . Then around 9 months it stopped . Now she has begun doing it again .
Because she is eating table food I consider this throwing up and not spitting up , since there is solid food coming up.

What do others consider this . Would you say it's throwing up or spitting up?
Of course dcm says it's spitting up so she won't have to come to pick up the child.
CountryRoads 06:11 AM 09-09-2019
Originally Posted by Second Home:
I have a dck who is 15 months old. As an infant she spit up all the time . Then around 9 months it stopped . Now she has begun doing it again .
Because she is eating table food I consider this throwing up and not spitting up , since there is solid food coming up.

What do others consider this . Would you say it's throwing up or spitting up?
Of course dcm says it's spitting up so she won't have to come to pick up the child.

I would say throwing up if it's solid food. If it happens daily and you know its not an illness, that's a tough one. If the child just recently started doing it, and has been on solids for awhile, that's a little more suspicious.

But, either way, throw up is gross and unsanitary in a daycare setting.

I would recommend they go to the doctor.
Second Home 06:21 AM 09-09-2019
The episodes seem random .It happened once a month ago , then fine the next week ,3 times two weeks ago , once last week.

Of course dcm said it never happens at home but dcd said that it happened the whole week that they were on vacation.
Blackcat31 09:54 AM 09-09-2019
I too would request a visit to the doctor. Doesn't seem normal to me once they move to solids but I don't know for sure as I haven't had a lot of experience with kids spitting up.

Is it alot or just a little bit each time?
That's how I'd make the decision (by the amount)

However, a doctor visit is ideal so you know if it is or isn't something in her diet.
284878 10:07 AM 09-09-2019
Interesting, DS spit up as an infant and just started doing It again at 15 months.

Anyways the difference is in the smell. Does it smell like vomit? What does her breathe smell like afterwards?
Ariana 10:10 AM 09-09-2019
In the realm of normal this is not it. Spitting up from too much formula or breastmilk is normal but once over the age of 12 months I would not consider this normal. Sounds like an issue with her stomach sphincter perhaps.
Snowmom 10:20 AM 09-09-2019
She would need a diagnosis for it or it's considered vomit.
Vomit=home.
Second Home 12:02 PM 09-09-2019
Dcm asked how to get around me sending dck home when it happens.
She said that she can't leave work every time.

Now dcm says that the Dr has been monitoring dck for reflux since 12 months and will confirm with the Dr tomorrow .
Why didn't dcm say anything about this for the last few weeks .

Sometimes it smells really bad and sour , other times it just a little bad . It seems to be a mouthful or two when she does it . It always happens in the morning within an hour or two of getting here .
Blackcat31 12:32 PM 09-09-2019

Now dcm says that the Dr has been monitoring dck for reflux since 12 months and will confirm with the Dr tomorrow .

Sometimes it smells really bad and sour , other times it just a little bad . It seems to be a mouthful or two when she does it . It always happens in the morning within an hour or two of getting here .
She doesn't have to leave work every time but she definitely needs to find someone who can when she can't.

As for the Dr treating the child for the last 12 months...yes, why didn't DCM mention this prior? I would want all that in writing from the Dr. or I'd call for pick up.

I'd let DCM know that why you empathize with her about not being able to leave work every time, you aren't able to keep a child in care that vomits. Its unsanitary and unfair to others since you don't know if it is or isn't illness related.

Funny how parents want us to see their side and empathize with them but rarely do that for us.
knoxmomof2 01:17 PM 09-09-2019
Yeah, sounds like acid reflux. I had a DCG from 9 months old to 5 when she went on to Kindergarten. I don't recall a lot of spitting up as a baby, then again it's been 6 years now, but she ended up being diagnosed with AR. At that time, parents packed lunch so Mom just packed meals that didn't upset her AR and she took a pill at home in the morning or something.
jenboo 01:41 PM 09-09-2019

My friends daughter did this! She would randomly puke a couple hours after eating in the morning. It was reflux. She was 2-3yrs old when it was happening.
springv 09:53 AM 09-10-2019
I had NEC when I was little ad had a fundoplicatin done when I was three years old because I would throw up whole bottles of milk at one time. Sounds like she may have acid reflux and needs to see a GI doctor asap
Tags:gag reflex, solid food, transitioning - babyfood - solids, vomiting
Reply Up