Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Mom coming for visit, mention to parents?
Baby Beluga 02:12 PM 09-21-2015
My mom informed me today (!) that she is coming for a short visit - arriving tomorrow and leaving Thursday morning. This is not an opportunity that happens often, so we are both excited.

Should I mention it to parents? Nothing will change as far as the children and I are concerned. On one hand I feel like this is family childcare and family coming is something that may happen. On the other hand I feel like I should mention it out of respect.

WWYD?
e.j. 03:41 PM 09-21-2015
If it were me, I would mention it out of respect to my families. Unless your mom avoids being seen by the parents and kids, there will be curiosity as to who she is - whether the parents see her or hear their kids talking about her. Why not just let them know she's coming and then introduce her once she's there visiting?
Indoorvoice 06:00 PM 09-21-2015
My former provider used to have her mom from out of town visit for days at a time. If her mom was in the room when I got there she would just briefly mention her mom was staying for a while and we would exchange greetings. She didn't go out of her way to tell me before hand and I was fine with that!
kendallina 06:09 PM 09-21-2015
I usually mention it when I have family in town.
heyhun77 08:15 PM 09-21-2015
I don't make a big announcement to the parents but I do let them know I have family staying with us. The kids usually are excited to see "grandma" like she's their own grandma. Last time my mom was here she came on our field trip with us.

I agree that this is family childcare and unless there is a licensing reason to prevent guests from being here during daycare hours I don't see why it should be a problem.
childcaremom 01:31 AM 09-22-2015
I would just mention it, introduce her when she's there, and carry on.

Enjoy your visit!
MrsSteinel'sHouse 04:52 AM 09-22-2015
I would be so excited I couldn't help but mention it!! Who knows maybe you will get some early pick ups so you can have a little more time with her!!
Baby Beluga 06:32 AM 09-22-2015
Thank you everyone for your replies

I did mention it at pick-up time. It just told parents that my mom has a unique opportunity to make a short visit (which is true - although I would like her to more often her work and life obstacles prohibit her from visiting) so she will be here over the next couple of days. I told parents it was business as usual for the children and me but I was mentioning it out of respect to them and their children. All of the parents thanked me for mentioning it to them.

She should arrive late this afternoon and I am so excited! My DD does not know so she will be over the moon excited.
littletots 06:36 AM 09-22-2015
I mention to families, have my mother be guest reader, take pic of kids at story time. Under my license I have to notify office if anyone over 18 stays in my home more than three days. If more than 30 days they need background check before stay. My mother visits once a yr. Families enjoy meeting her & tell her wonderful things about how their child enjoys my program.
Reply Up