Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Smoking
EmGabsmom 09:31 AM 11-23-2010
I have two issues and I'm not sure what to do about them. First I have a two year old who pretends she is smoking. Crayons lincoln logs it doesn't matter she will do it with anything. Parents don't smoke but grandma does. Second I have family who smokes and everything reeks in their bag. Coats and clothes too. This makes my whole foyer smell. Do you think spraying with febreeze is too rude. Thanks
countrymom 10:17 AM 11-23-2010
for the kid that likes to pretend to smoke, I would just tell her no thats not what we use the toy for. As for the other, I had the same problem and I used lysol on the stuff and once a week I would wash the stuff, no child should ever have to inhale that stuff, so I knew at least once a week his stuff smelled nice. Parents could have cared less.
misol 12:02 PM 11-23-2010
I would have to term the smelly/smoky kids. I have really bad asthma and cigarette smoke is one of my triggers. I would also not want parents (or licensing) coming in thinking it was someone in MY house that smoked.

I am also allergic to pet dander. I ask during the initial phone interview whether anyone in the household is a smoker and what kind of pets (if any) they have at home. If they smoke or have something other than fish, it will not be a good fit and I will have to pass on them. My health is more important. Sorry you are having to deal with this. My personal experience with Febreeze is that it does not cover up cigarette smoke.

For the kid who is pretending to smoke, I would do what countrymom has suggested. If she continues she would lose the privilege of playing with that toy.
TGT09 01:17 PM 11-23-2010
I was that child who pretended to smoke crayons for a very long time from what I can remember. My Great-Aunt watched me and I don't remember how she eventually got me to stop doing it. I had NO one in my life that smoked so my guess is I saw it on tv or someone on the street. I think what Countrymom suggested is what I would do if it were me.
sierrastreasures 04:43 PM 11-23-2010
This hits so close to home. I have one shy little girl that comes from a home full of smokers. It's so appearent that her mom and Grandma smoke in the car while dropping her off. Her clothes, blanket and teddy bear just reak of smoke. I don't know what it is but I absolutely adore this little girl and know this is not her fault. I would never think of terming her just because she smells of smoke. I use fabreez to mask the odor and have washed her clothes and blanket on certain occations.

I had one little boy that point blank hurt her feeling so badly that she cried. He stood at the top of the steps leading down to the daycare with his dad and I kid you not, on each of the 11 steps coming down to the daycare this 3 year old dcb looked at her and said "you stink" "you stink" "you stink" and so on until he reached the bottom step I'm not kidding 11 times this kid looked right at her and said this. This was the same dcb I termed last month. The father did nothing to correct his behavior even after I said to the dcb in front of his dad that he needs to appologize. Dcb's reaction was a loud "NO" to me and the father did nothing.

I took her in my arms and just comforted her and told her that I loved her and that no one had the right to say something like that to anyone. I promptly gave the dcb a time out right in front of his dad.
Tags:smokers
Reply Up