Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Everyone is SICK!!!!!
DestinyAja 07:56 AM 09-09-2016
Everyone is sick including me and my 2 boys (8 months and 3 years old)!!!!! Some kind of way everyone in my daycare has caught a bug. Noses are running....the coughs are loud...sneezing is every 2 minutes....no one is covering their mouth or their nose...I'm spraying Lysol every 15 minutes...I have had a headache for 2 days...I feel like I want to send a note home today (Friday) letting all parents know that if they don't get their children better by Monday, they will have to keep them home. How do you all handle this? Should I give them a letter? Should I speak to each parent individually at pick up? Like what????
Nurse Jackie 08:27 AM 09-09-2016
My daycare and my kids are recovering from this now. It all started from a kid with a runny nose who was "teething" and everyone started "teething" including me. It got so bad I closed at 6pm and made an appointment with Kaiser at 7pm. I'm thinking about redoing my sick policy to excluding even if they have a clear runny nose because it's not fair that I and my family may get sick and I have to either close, which affects my other families, or work through it.
finsup 09:08 AM 09-09-2016
We just got over this, actually my 10 month old still has a cough. But like the pp it all started with a runny nose. I didn't even think anything of it honestly, I mean it was JUST a runny nose all else was fine. Then it turned awful so quickly, I was just like what?! How!? I ended up closing. I hate doing it but everyone was really sick, and my own 3 kids met exclusion policies. Personally, I'd just close Monday as a "get better" day for everyone, plus a huge cleaning and sanitizing of everything. If you give parents the idea that there's an option, I imagine the kids will "seem fine" to the parents, even if they're not and still come I'd tell mine face to face, but my group is small. An email or text could work too, but I do like "in person" then no one can claim they "didn't get it."
MunchkinWrangler 09:14 AM 09-09-2016
Tread lightly with exclusion for clear, runny nose. I have lost 3 families because my illness policies are strict.

I definitely understand that working sick, which I have been doing now for a week, and taking care of your own sick children(mine was just sick last week) is incredibly tough and draining. As well as trying to disinfect your home. To say the least, I crashed and burned with this very topic.

I am strict about my illness policy and have gotten some backlash from families about it and definitely have suspected dope and drops. Be ready to replace at a moments notice. I wasn't.
Nurse Jackie 10:07 AM 09-09-2016
Munchkin I try to be understanding but last week I thought I was gonna pass out. Luckily I had my husband here to help. It seemed to hit me the worse because unlike everyone else I wasn't able to get the rest I needed.
LysesKids 10:08 AM 09-09-2016
Originally Posted by DestinyAja:
Everyone is sick including me and my 2 boys (8 months and 3 years old)!!!!! Some kind of way everyone in my daycare has caught a bug. Noses are running....the coughs are loud...sneezing is every 2 minutes....no one is covering their mouth or their nose...I'm spraying Lysol every 15 minutes...I have had a headache for 2 days...I feel like I want to send a note home today (Friday) letting all parents know that if they don't get their children better by Monday, they will have to keep them home. How do you all handle this? Should I give them a letter? Should I speak to each parent individually at pick up? Like what????
If the runny noses is clear it's usually allergies & right now RAGWEED is like so bad here and we haven't had rain in days so the air is filled with pollen - we all have clear runny noses (even me)... another sign it's allergy & not colds are itchy eyes (me & 2 of the kids); the drainage from noses can sometimes cause a slight cough too.

We all came down with issues the exact same day, so I doubt it's a virus this time - at least here. 2 of my kids even went to a DR and were put on allergy medications and i just refilled my inhaler. The kids are up and running around and not acting ill, so why should I exclude if I have the same issue... yes I hate wiping noses, but the Boogie wipes are out in force lol
Nurse Jackie 10:10 AM 09-09-2016
Originally Posted by LysesKids:
If the runny noses is clear it's usually allergies & right now RAGWEED is like so bad here and we haven't had rain in days so the air is filled with pollen - we all have clear runny noses (even me)... another sign it's allergy & not colds are itchy eyes (me & 2 of the kids); the drainage from noses can sometimes cause a slight cough too.

We all came down with issues the exact same day, so I doubt it's a virus this time - at least here. 2 of my kids even went to a DR and were put on allergy medications and i just refilled my inhaler. The kids are up and running around and not acting ill, so why should I exclude if I have the same issue... yes I hate wiping noses, but the Boogie wipes are out in force lol
We all have/had clear runny noses which turned into very bad colds here
LysesKids 10:15 AM 09-09-2016
Originally Posted by Nurse Jackie:
We all have/had clear runny noses which turned into very bad colds here
... not the case here thank goodness; we have all had issues since Sunday night and none of the babies are coughing or running fevers... and it's still clear mucus for everyone. I have had a severe Ragweed allergy for years and moving back here just made them worse lol. Heck the 2 kids an allergy meds are acting like their normal little selves now that they aren't rubbing eyes. I do have a strict policy for illness, but this is something that I have to just give a little for... now full blown severe colds - YEP GO HOME
Blackcat31 10:24 AM 09-09-2016
Originally Posted by MunchkinWrangler:
Tread lightly with exclusion for clear, runny nose. I have lost 3 families because my illness policies are strict.

I definitely understand that working sick, which I have been doing now for a week, and taking care of your own sick children(mine was just sick last week) is incredibly tough and draining. As well as trying to disinfect your home. To say the least, I crashed and burned with this very topic.

I am strict about my illness policy and have gotten some backlash from families about it and definitely have suspected dope and drops. Be ready to replace at a moments notice. I wasn't.
I disagree about treading lightly. If you have policies, enforce them. If you don't they are as good as the paper you printed them on.

I do not care if I lose families due to my strict illness families because "those types" of families don't understand or respect the daycare world/perspective and that's great because the back lash you get from those types make it easy because it clearly separates them from worthy clients....the kind I want.

I also understand needing the income but I need to be healthy more than I need the income...kwim? I AM willing to lose those "types" of families and when they know and are aware of that, it helps with enforcement.

That being said, I do not exclude for clear runny noses on a regular basis. I will and do exclude for clear runny noses when care of said runny nose causes me to provide more care, supervision and/or attention than I am capable of providing WHILE continuing to provide care and supervision to the other kids in care.

4 yr old with a clear runny nose that uses a tissue on their own.. NOT excluded.

14 month old with a clear runny nose that uses toys, furniture and other kids as tissues.... Excluded.
Blackcat31 10:28 AM 09-09-2016
OP~ I PM'ed you a reminder letter I send out at this time of year so parents know what I expect in regards to illness and exclusion.

You are welcome to print and use if it works for you. If you are unable to access or download the file, let me know.
DestinyAja 10:47 AM 09-09-2016
Originally Posted by MunchkinWrangler:

And that is what I am afraid of. Having to close down and lose families. I understand that these parents depend on me to watch their children everyday. Everybody can't take off work for a runny nose, whether it's clear or not. I just hope they get it together over the weekend.
DestinyAja 10:47 AM 09-09-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
OP~ I PM'ed you a reminder letter I send out at this time of year so parents know what I expect in regards to illness and exclusion.

You are welcome to print and use if it works for you. If you are unable to access or download the file, let me know.
I got it and it is perfect! Thanks BC! You're awesome!
LysesKids 11:00 AM 09-09-2016
I disagree about treading lightly. If you have policies, enforce them. If you don't they are as good as the paper you printed them on.

I do not care if I lose families due to my strict illness families because "those types" of families don't understand or respect the daycare world/perspective and that's great because the back lash you get from those types make it easy because it clearly separates them from worthy clients....the kind I want.

I also understand needing the income but I need to be healthy more than I need the income...kwim? I AM willing to lose those "types" of families and when they know and are aware of that, it helps with enforcement.

That being said, I do not exclude for clear runny noses on a regular basis. I will and do exclude for clear runny noses when care of said runny nose causes me to provide more care, supervision and/or attention than I am capable of providing WHILE continuing to provide care and supervision to the other kids in care.

4 yr old with a clear runny nose that uses a tissue on their own.. NOT excluded.

14 month old with a clear runny nose that uses toys, furniture and other kids as tissues.... Excluded.
See in my case all my kids are 18 months or younger, so... yeah, not an option there lol. The fact mine do let me wipe on a regular basis helps ( I make a game of it). I only do 4 littles and there is no way I could afford to lose a family or pay over allergies; like I said, severe colds, yeah the kids go home, never had a parent not back me up because they do know my policies.
Miss A 11:10 AM 09-09-2016

BC, could you PM me the letter as well? With baby on the way, and the horrible sneezing/runny nose/crying fits 2/3 DCK's have had this week, I think it is time for a reminder!
Orange2001 11:13 AM 09-09-2016
Well the "allergies" here, and I do agree it's a huge part of them were we are and the weather we have had. I'm going to right to bed this lovely Friday at 5:32 because it now has became a sinus infection my face is puffy and ouch... ALL the DCC have had it also so it would be odd for all 6 of us and my son who's 16 and not around the DCC often.
laundrymom 11:21 AM 09-09-2016
Allergies here (Indiana) have been horrible the last two weeks too. Come on hard freeze. Come on hard freeze!!
MunchkinWrangler 11:28 AM 09-09-2016

I 100% agree with you. Absolutely. I also have made the same argument with families about the maturity of children with excessive runny noses. I, unfortunately can't recoup the business lost, and I am trying hard to. I have a small group and don't know the size of OP's but losing 3 families is shutting me down. The other issue is there are providers that are willing to take ill children, that's what I was told by these families leaving. I just can't compete.

My main point is be prepared to lose these families, start trying to replace. I didn't do that right away and am now closing. Most of the reason why I am not trying to continue is because I don't want to put up with this issue repeatedly because I hate working sick, being up all night taking care of my own sick kid, and then working all day on little sleep and taking longer to recover.

Not trying to hijack OP but your situation is very similar to what I dealt with all summer long. The summer!!!!! Not willing to do it during cold and flu season. Not interested at all. My ds spent 4 days in the hospital after 2 months of catching every single germ that came into my home. I was sick for 2 months straight, doc said I was catching virus on top of virus, for the reason why I wasn't getting better and feeling so terribly ill. My son had severe anemia, was told by docs that my daycare and everyone not following my illness policy was to blame. I was told not to allow even the slightest cold symptom into my home. That's what I did. This issue became very personal to me, I watched my child suffer as well as having cancer testing and numerous blood draws...it was horrific
Blackcat31 11:30 AM 09-09-2016
Originally Posted by LysesKids:
See in my case all my kids are 18 months or younger, so... yeah, not an option there lol. The fact mine do let me wipe on a regular basis helps ( I make a game of it). I only do 4 littles and there is no way I could afford to lose a family or pay over allergies; like I said, severe colds, yeah the kids go home, never had a parent not back me up because they do know my policies.
THE single most used reason for providers not enforcing their policies.

The trick is for providers (individually) to figure out how to not let that be an issue.

If we allow fear of income loss to dictate our business, it will slowly and eventually be the downfall to your business.

I am not saying people need to exclude for clear runny noses. I am saying that when a kid is sick and needing to rest at home, the kid needs to be home. The decision to send home or not allow them to attend, needs to be based on provider polices verses fear of losing pay.

For further clarification, I am not saying anyone has to have certain things in their illness policies...I am not even saying a provider needs an illness policy...that's up to each provider. My ONLY point is fear of income loss simply should not be a motivator or deterrent for a business.

If it is, the business owner needs to figure out how to secure income or have a back up plan for unexpected loss rather than waiving or ignoring polices they created.

Once you allow a parent to disregard a policy, it opens Pandora's Box and that's more trouble than it's worth.
MunchkinWrangler 11:33 AM 09-09-2016
THE single most used reason for providers not enforcing their policies.

The trick is for providers (individually) to figure out how to not let that be an issue.

If we allow fear of income loss to dictate our business, it will slowly and eventually be the downfall to your business.

I am not saying people need to exclude for clear runny noses. I am saying that when a kid is sick and needing to rest at home, the kid needs to be home. The decision to send home or not allow them to attend, needs to be based on provider polices verses fear of losing pay.

For further clarification, I am not saying anyone has to have certain things in their illness policies...I am not even saying a provider needs an illness policy...that's up to each provider. My ONLY point is fear of income loss simply should not be a motivator or deterrent for a business.

If it is, the business owner needs to figure out how to secure income or have a back up plan for unexpected loss rather than waiving or ignoring polices they created.

Once you allow a parent to disregard a policy, it opens Pandora's Box and that's more trouble than it's worth.
Yes, agree with the bold!
Reply Up