Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Homemade Clorox Wipes
tehck_1013 11:45 AM 02-27-2015
Was wondering if anybody makes bleach wipes to save money? I've heard of parents home making wipies for diaper changing and thought the same could work for the clorox wipes. I'd like to try it, I go through a lot of them. If you do, would you tell me how? And if you don't, would you try it?
Thriftylady 11:51 AM 02-27-2015
I have considered trying it. I am guessing it would be the same as homemade wipes, just using some bleach water. But I used to make wipes for DS (many moons ago), don't use cheap paper towels for this, you will just waste your money.
Thriftylady 11:53 AM 02-27-2015
http://www.livingonadime.com/homemad...fecting-wipes/

This looks promising they are washable I may try these!
Thriftylady 10:57 AM 03-01-2015
Ok, so you really spiked my interest in these, I love the wipes but refuse to buy them just to toss them. So I tried the recipe above. I was at the thrift store and they had receiving blankets for .99 cents each. I grabbed two and cut them up. I didn't hem them or anything figured at that price if they fray I can replace them. LOVE these. The receiving blankets stay moist longer than the store bought wipes. I have used and washed a few no fraying yet they should last quite awhile I am thinking. I did have a little to much liquid, because I filled my baby wipes tub with rags, so I needed a double batch of liquid. I have just put the washed ones in to soak it up and have had to wring them a tad as I use them but as I adjust the recipe for my number of wipes that won't happen. Hope that helps!
heyhun77 08:00 PM 03-01-2015
Just be sure that your licensing agent/health department/ect will accept this as a sanitizing/disinfecting agent. Also, you'll have to check on the contact time required to make sure it is doing it's job. With clorox/lysol wipes the surface has a 10 minute contact time meaning that the surface has to stay wet for 10 minutes to do it's job. bleach solution is 2 minutes. Also with clorox wipes you have to wipe the surface afterward for food contact and toy surfaces because it leaves a residue of chemicals.

I'm all for saving money and stuff but not at the expense of not actually doing the job it's supposed to do. I recently eliminated bleach and started using a silver/citric acid based solution that has a 30 second contact time and continues to kill germs after wiped. Between that and my norwex cloths whichare also silver I have no bleach and still get everything disinfected/sanitized to the satisfaction of licensing and the health department.
jenboo 10:58 PM 03-01-2015
Originally Posted by heyhun77:
Just be sure that your licensing agent/health department/ect will accept this as a sanitizing/disinfecting agent. Also, you'll have to check on the contact time required to make sure it is doing it's job. With clorox/lysol wipes the surface has a 10 minute contact time meaning that the surface has to stay wet for 10 minutes to do it's job. bleach solution is 2 minutes. Also with clorox wipes you have to wipe the surface afterward for food contact and toy surfaces because it leaves a residue of chemicals.

I'm all for saving money and stuff but not at the expense of not actually doing the job it's supposed to do. I recently eliminated bleach and started using a silver/citric acid based solution that has a 30 second contact time and continues to kill germs after wiped. Between that and my norwex cloths whichare also silver I have no bleach and still get everything disinfected/sanitized to the satisfaction of licensing and the health department.
Tell me more about this silver/citric acid solution! I have been wanting to get norwex cloths.
Thriftylady 04:30 AM 03-02-2015
I have never heard of silver solution. I am still using bleach in the kitchen but am curious about your solution. Is there a link or something that tells more about it?
Rockgirl 05:09 AM 03-02-2015
The Clorox disinfecting wipes don't actually have bleach in the solution--they have some other disinfectant. I've thought about making some reusable cleaning wipes, but haven't gotten around to it yet.
Thriftylady 05:22 AM 03-02-2015
Originally Posted by Rockgirl:
The Clorox disinfecting wipes don't actually have bleach in the solution--they have some other disinfectant. I've thought about making some reusable cleaning wipes, but haven't gotten around to it yet.
I love them in the places I use them. I did use them in the kitchen, but then went back and sprayed my normal bleach water. I worry so much about food poisoning. Love them in the bathroom so far.
heyhun77 06:42 PM 03-02-2015
The non bleach solution I use is called puregreen24. You spray it on and then wipe off with a microfiber cloth. Contact time is under a minute. I use my norwex cloths everywhere. They are also silver based. Love this and especially love not using bleach anymore
Tags:clorox, homemade, wipes
Reply Up