Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Hot Water
KKDaycare 10:14 AM 08-16-2015
Just curious as to what you all have to make sure your water doesn't go above 120 degrees? I picked up a mixing valve to put on just the daycare sink from menards but it looks so complicated. Is there anything more simple I can do?
heyhun77 11:57 AM 08-16-2015
We keep our water heater at 110 so there's not a chance that we even get close to 120. Our licensing will ding us for even 121.
littletots 02:56 PM 08-16-2015
We are required to use scald guards.
KKDaycare 06:01 PM 08-16-2015
Our water heater doesn't let us set the temperature, I don't think. That's why I got the mixing valve. What are the scald guards?
littletots 07:50 PM 08-16-2015
http://www.thiscaringhome.org/produc...e-screw-on.php
Per my license I am required to install on bathroom sink. The anti-scald guard is provided by my licensing agency.
DaveA 05:07 AM 08-17-2015
In IL you have to have the water heater set to 115 or under. If you have a mixing valve most look complicated but are pretty easy setups. If you don't want to try it any plumber can do it. It will be a quick call for them so it would probably be for cost of a service call and maybe a couple of hoses.

Originally Posted by KKDaycare:
Our water heater doesn't let us set the temperature, I don't think. That's why I got the mixing valve. What are the scald guards?
Most water heaters have some way to adjust them. Usually it is behind a access panel- look for a square or rectangular door held on with one or two screws. The adjustment is probably a screw or knob. It will be labeled with either degrees or "colder-hotter".
Solandia 07:29 AM 08-17-2015
I wouldn't trust the temp of the hot water heater to stay under the correct temp, so I would do the anti-scald things

Why? Because even if you have the water heater set at 115 or 120, it is NOT consistent temps coming out of the outflow. This might be only a problem with traditional gas water heaters, its all I have ever had.

Have you ever noticed that the hot water is MUCH hotter after doing a couple loads of laundry and a little while after taking a shower? Because the temp control is not where the hot water rises in the hot water heater, so it kind of "layers", I don't know the technical term for it, because I am not a plumber. LOL. After using a decent amount of hot water a few times, the water heater is doing its job, and working hard. The top layer gets is hotter than the set temp as the colder new water is coming in.

So my hot water is hottest at about 10am, after the kids take showers & I have run a load of laundry. And it gets pretty hot. I would have to set my water heater at well under 110 for it to stay under 120 all day long. And that does NOT work for laundry or my shower...Brrr! Now, If no one takes showers or does laundry in the morning, then my hot water stays in a consistent range. Licensing never measured temp, or I would have failed. When I did daycare, I never let the kids wash hands alone, ever. Muliple reasons, but this was one of them. I hadnt heard of the anti-scald devices, that is an awesome solution!
laundrymom 08:30 AM 08-17-2015
I keep mine set at 115 and have never had a problem. I just use a thermometer and measure it. I've had gas and electric ones and not noticed a huge variance in temps. Usually 112-117. Well within parameters. Here, licensing checks every single visit.
daycarediva 10:04 AM 08-17-2015
I have a tankless hot water heater, and it's kept cranked up high. I need HOT showers.

I have a scald guard and a mixing valve on the only sink my dc kids have access to. Never had issues with licensing.
Reply Up