Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I Love Spring But...
Meyou 04:36 AM 03-23-2011
...why do parents start dressing their children in thin jackets, sunhats and white sneakers the second it's above freezing??

It's still COOOOOOLD outside.

I have one little one who is going to ruin a brand new pair of sneakers today but I asked Mom for her boots for the past two days and still nothing today. She didn't go outside Monday, wore someone else's boots yesterday but today I'm not changing anything for a pair of sneakers so they'll be muck brown by the end of day.

I feel bad for Mom since she's going to have to buy a new pair but I feel worse for dcg who didn't get to play outside Monday and had to wait yesterday while I found a pair of boots that fit her well enough to stay on her feet.

Am I being unreasonable? All of the other parents have now left the warm clothes here as I asked.
marniewon 04:49 AM 03-23-2011
No, you aren't being unreasonable. You've asked, dcp didn't provide. You can't all stay inside all day long because the parents don't bring the necessary clothing. I'd take her out. Maybe if mom has to buy new shoes, she may take you a little more seriously when you ask her to provide needed items.

I had a dcb come in a lightweight, matching jacket this week (you know, where the pants/jacket matches, like athletic gear....). It was only 30 degrees out and wasn't supposed to get much higher than that!!
laundrymom 04:50 AM 03-23-2011
I agree!! We are going out no matter the outfits. I remind them. That's the best I can do.
SilverSabre25 04:53 AM 03-23-2011
I had the opposite problem last fall. As soon as it dropped below 50 in the mornings (even with the high being 80 or more), the kids started coming in pants and long-sleeved onesies with sweatshirts over them, heavy winter coats, hats, etc.

And I did watch one parent one warm afternoon (it was about 72 and kind of humid) put the winter coat on the kid...when I mentioned, "Wow, she's going to be really toasty! We played without coats all day!" (Or something like that) the mom looked shocked and said, "But it was 40 this morning!" and I shot back with, "But it's 72 right now!" and she just looked confused and repeated what it was that morning...that was an "interesting" family though.

I'm thinking that if I keep this up (which I probably will; I don't see our debt getting paid down to the point where DH alone can support us anytime soon) I will lay in my own supplies of coats, etc, a la Nannyde...just to avoid those problems.
Zoe 04:55 AM 03-23-2011
They probably assume you have extras and will provide them. I have a backup supply, but I hesitate to use them because then the parents will come to rely on them and never bring what I ask for.

You aren't being unreasonable. If the kid is in tennis shoes, then they'll just get muddy. Not a big deal IMHO!
morgan24 04:56 AM 03-23-2011
I wouldn't feel to bad for Mom, you warned her. I tell them once. I'm much to busy to parent them along with taking care of their children. I won't change what I have planned for the day because they decided not to bring something I asked them for. So let her deal with dirty shoes, the little one will love you cause she got to go outside.
Meyou 05:04 AM 03-23-2011
I feel bad because I'm intentionally letting dcg destroy her new sneakers today. But not bad enough to keep her in. lol It's no secret the kids get dirty.....filthy dirty. The parents pick them up that way from the backyard 4 days out of 5. Anyone who brings a child here in white sneakers isn't thinking clearly about what their child does during the day.
SilverSabre25 05:06 AM 03-23-2011
Originally Posted by Meyou:
I feel bad because I'm intentionally letting dcg destroy her new sneakers today. But not bad enough to keep her in. lol It's no secret the kids get dirty.....filthy dirty. The parents pick them up that way from the backyard 4 days out of 5. Anyone who brings a child here in white sneakers isn't thinking clearly about what their child does during the day.
Maybe she doesn't care what happens to the shoes? I know I never care. Shoes are shoes; they are meant to get filthy, IMO. If me/my kid picks out white shoes, I know they'll be grayish brown within a few days and it doesn't bother me so long as they fit and don't have holes.
Meyou 05:14 AM 03-23-2011
This is one of those moms that dresses her children for a fashion show so she probably does care. DCG is two and has more fashionable clothes than I have ever owned. I don't even know about some of the current fashions she wears. lolol But again....her daughter has been her for over a year so she knows the routine. The little one was wearing Jeggings, leg warmers, new white Nike sneakers, a floaty peasant blouse with matching earrings yesterday for example. I put daycare splash pants (I provide these) and borrowed rubber boots on her yesterday.

I have other dck's that are wearing new sneakers/rainboots outside right now but they were specifically bought to be play sneakers and stay here. Little cheapies from walmart, you know what I mean. That is what I used to do with my kids too. Buy a cheap pair that they could destroy and a "good" pair so they would look decent when we went somewhere. I still do it for my 7 year old.
laundrymom 05:26 AM 03-23-2011
Why stress? Go on with your day and play hard. That's your job. Not outfit preservation. She obviously either doesn't care about the outfits, or doesn't care about hr child being a child. As long as the shoes and clothes fit don't stress. She may be one of the show off moms who actively try to impress the people at daycare. I would include her in the activities and if she gets dirty either mom will get really good at stain removal, buy replacements, or send them in play clothes. As providers we work with what we have. Work with what she sends. If she has issues with it SHE has to change things. Your responsibility is not to preserve her outfits.
This is one of those moms that dresses her children for a fashion show so she probably does care. DCG is two and has more fashionable clothes than I have ever owned. I don't even know about some of the current fashions she wears. lolol But again....her daughter has been her for over a year so she knows the routine. The little one was wearing Jeggings, leg warmers, new white Nike sneakers, a floaty peasant blouse with matching earrings yesterday for example. I put daycare splash pants (I provide these) and borrowed rubber boots on her yesterday.

I have other dck's that are wearing new sneakers/rainboots outside right now but they were specifically bought to be play sneakers and stay here. Little cheapies from walmart, you know what I mean. That is what I used to do with my kids too. Buy a cheap pair that they could destroy and a "good" pair so they would look decent when we went somewhere. I still do it for my 7 year old.

Blackcat31 05:58 AM 03-23-2011
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
Why stress? Go on with your day and play hard. That's your job. Not outfit preservation. She obviously either doesn't care about the outfits, or doesn't care about hr child being a child. As long as the shoes and clothes fit don't stress. She may be one of the show off moms who actively try to impress the people at daycare. I would include her in the activities and if she gets dirty either mom will get really good at stain removal, buy replacements, or send them in play clothes. As providers we work with what we have. Work with what she sends. If she has issues with it SHE has to change things. Your responsibility is not to preserve her outfits.
THIS exactly!! Why do providers stress about it? If a parent doesn't bring the required items, it is NOT our problem. The shoes they came in will be muddyor dirty then and they will learn the hard way then/or as a pp said, maybe they do not care.

I also refuse to keep extra clothing anymore because in all the years I have, it seemed as though certain parents just became dependent on not having to be responsible because they knew I would cover for them...even had one mom joke one year that I saved her some money because she never had to buy her dd snowpants at all because she knew I had some she could wear!

Now if we are going outside and someone doesn't have play shoes or has fancy clothes, they get dirty...and if they are missing an absolutely essential item such as mittens or snowpants in the middle of winter, I call parent at work and ask them to come pick up their child since we are all going outside and theirs can't due to lack of proper gear. Usually cures the problem right away, they are either embarrassed and they begin remembering like an elephant from now on or they come get the kid and the rest of us who were prepared enjoy our outdoor time.

I have no problem doing my job (I love it as a matter of fact ), but I refuse to do the parents job.
countrymom 06:03 AM 03-23-2011
do you know why we stress, because lets say a stranger walks by and sees the kids without proper clothing, they have every right to call cas because you are not providing proper care. Yup its true. Today dcg (I put her on the bus) wore a spring coat with no hat, gloves or boats. Its raining ice pellets here (michigan ladies we have the same storm) its very cold outside and its also raining hard. I have to tell the bus driver that this is how she came to my house, just so I don't get reported.
Blackcat31 06:10 AM 03-23-2011
Originally Posted by countrymom:
do you know why we stress, because lets say a stranger walks by and sees the kids without proper clothing, they have every right to call cas because you are not providing proper care. Yup its true. Today dcg (I put her on the bus) wore a spring coat with no hat, gloves or boats. Its raining ice pellets here (michigan ladies we have the same storm) its very cold outside and its also raining hard. I have to tell the bus driver that this is how she came to my house, just so I don't get reported.
WOW! you must have some really busy people in your area because as a provider I have reported families who come with NO winter gear in sub-zero weather and my licensor said it is not a reportable offense.....bad parenting but NOT a reportable offense.

Anyone driving by my house who had nothing better to do than check out a boat load of kids playing outside and call CPS because they felt like a child was not properly dressed would be considered some sort of stalker in my book...they are welcome to call me in to whom ever they wish, but if they are driving slow enough to notice of those things they better take note that I have probably written their license plate nmber down and already called on them for trolling in my neighborhood. Creepy...

Plus, having a childcare and having kids who are not properly dressed does not mean I am not providing proper care, it means I have parents who do not send their kids with proper clothing. MY licensor is more than welcome to stop by anytime...I have NEVER heard of a provider who has been cited or given any type of correction order for having an irresponsible parent in care.
laundrymom 10:37 AM 03-23-2011
Originally Posted by countrymom:
Well stress if you must but if a passerby calls my lic rep griping that I took them out in the wrong clothes, I would answer with,..." So I'm in trouble if I don't go out, in trouble if I do go out,... Are you wanting me to play in the doorframe? "
SandeeAR 10:40 AM 03-23-2011
Well stress if you must but if a passerby calls my lic rep griping that I took them out in the wrong clothes, I would answer with,..." So I'm in trouble if I don't go out, in trouble if I do go out,... Are you wanting me to play in the doorframe? "

ROFL!!! I'm soooooooo glad I'm not licensed!
Zoe 10:42 AM 03-23-2011
That's awesome!
MG&Lsmom 11:37 AM 03-23-2011
Every week I ask for extra clothes etc and every week I get ignored. If they get really dirty, so be it!

That being said, it was almost 70 degrees and super sunny 2 days in a row last week. We played outside with just sweatshirts because the kids were sweating in their winter coats. DCM told me yesterday that under no circumstance is her child to go outside without a winter puffy coat, hat and mittens until it's consistently over 70 degrees. He has a head cold and his ear infection returned because I allowed him to play outside without a hat.
Blackcat31 12:06 PM 03-23-2011
LOL!! Just an FYI though, doorframes are not appropriate play spaces for children. There is not enough square footage and proper attire is necessary to prevent splinters.
Meyou 12:17 PM 03-23-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
LOL!! Just an FYI though, doorframes are not appropriate play spaces for children. There is not enough square footage and proper attire is necessary to prevent splinters.

Well mama just left with one dirty, happy girl and one ruined pair of sneakers. She didn't say anything other than asking her daughter how on earth she got mud in her ear. lol
Symphony 12:18 PM 03-23-2011
I am going crazy because I have two kids who consistently show up without shoes. It is so beautiful out today, for the first time in for.ev.er and here I have two kids with no shoes. I have a few pairs lying around they can borrow, but that irritates me too. The whole reason I have these extras is because they were in good enough shape from my older kids to be passed down to my younger kids. Now they are getting worn out and I will need to buy new shoes for my own children because dcps never bring shoes for theirs!
SilverSabre25 12:22 PM 03-23-2011

Well mama just left with one dirty, happy girl and one ruined pair of sneakers. She didn't say anything other than asking her daughter how on earth she got mud in her ear. lol
roflmao! That's awesome!

At least mom didn't seem too worried about the shoes. If she can afford the fancy schmancy clothes, she can probably afford to replace the shoes...or keep them to send to your house!
SandeeAR 12:26 PM 03-23-2011
Originally Posted by Symphony:
I am going crazy because I have two kids who consistently show up without shoes. It is so beautiful out today, for the first time in for.ev.er and here I have two kids with no shoes. I have a few pairs lying around they can borrow, but that irritates me too. The whole reason I have these extras is because they were in good enough shape from my older kids to be passed down to my younger kids. Now they are getting worn out and I will need to buy new shoes for my own children because dcps never bring shoes for theirs!
I would send home a note to everyone, reminding them that shoes and jackets (weather appropriate) are a MUST for Daycare. Remind them, that if they arrive WITHOUT them, they will be turned away, until they can return with the necessary items for Daycare. Then the next time they show up without them, tell them, sorry, they can't stay without_________ (insert item here). Please return home and get them, When you return with these items,then they can stay.
Tags:proper attire, spring - clothing
Reply Up