Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Much Vacation Time Is Too Much
momofboys 05:52 PM 05-19-2011
I will be watching one family's kids this fall partially in my home/partially in their home. The parents follow a teacher's schedule although they are not teachers they will not need me much in the summer as a relative can watch them most of the time (& said relative is a teacher). As I set up days to take off I am mostly looking at mid-August to early June. Just curious I guess how much time you take off vacation-wise for a year. This is only about 10 months. How much time does everyone take off? I will be closed on holidays but other than that I am struggling with being concerned that I will be asking for too much time off. I will close for 1 week at Christmas & 1 week at my kids' spring break (in April) in addition to the normal holidays (Labor Day/Thanksgiving/MLK/Pres Day/Memorial Day). So is anything above 2 weeks too much for a 10 month period? I really would like to take off 3-4 other days throughout that timeframe for sanity breaks, etc. Would taking @ 3 weeks off over the course of 10 months be too much?
KEG123 05:56 PM 05-19-2011
I'm new to daycare, but I take 2 weeks off plus major holidays.
mac60 03:40 AM 05-20-2011
I think 2 to 3 weeks plus major holidays is very fair. Most of my parents have 2 to 3 weeks plus paid time off sick days, personal days, and trust me, they use them all.
momofboys 05:07 AM 05-20-2011
Thanks, ladies! I guess I should have clarified too that the time between Christmas & New Year's I won't be needed b/c the mom will be off or have grandma watch the kids. So although I have it 'OFF" I am not really having to ask for it off.
mac60 05:41 AM 05-20-2011
While you may have that time off between Christmas/New Year, it is because the family chose to not have you care for the kids. Vacation to me is what you plan when you want to, not having the family dictate when. Did that make sense.
boysx5 05:47 AM 05-20-2011
I take two weeks vacation my choice of weeks and also major holidays plus five personal days
Zoe 05:58 AM 05-20-2011
Originally Posted by boysx5:
I take two weeks vacation my choice of weeks and also major holidays plus five personal days
Me too. Exactly this.
momofboys 06:54 AM 05-20-2011
Originally Posted by mac60:
While you may have that time off between Christmas/New Year, it is because the family chose to not have you care for the kids. Vacation to me is what you plan when you want to, not having the family dictate when. Did that make sense.
I totally understand, the parents will be off work then so they don't need me. I probably would close anyway BUT I am not choosing to take it off.
SunflowerMama 08:21 AM 05-20-2011
Originally Posted by boysx5:
This is my policy exactly.
Tags:vacation, vacation - length
Reply Up