Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Ecers/Fccers
melskids 09:59 AM 10-25-2010
anyone have one of these assessments? what are they like? i'm just looking for some hints and tips thanks!!!
Crystal 11:08 AM 10-25-2010
I conduct these assessments for our local R&R. They can be alittle intimidating if you are not familiar with them. If someone is coming to conduct a FCCERS on your program, they should conduct an oobservation that lasts approx. 2.5-3 hours. They will then score you on several quality indicators and type up a final summary, that details your strengths and weaknesses within your program, as well as as a teacher/provider.

They are also GREAT to use to score your own program. I do one on my own program quarterly. I use it as a tool to help imrove my program, and to remind me when I start to "slip" in some areas.

I am providing a link to the website that I use for info when I need it. It has all of the scales, but you should use the FCCERS (the green book). I highly recommend purchasing a copy and conducting the assessment on yourself, so that you are familiar with it, before having someone else conduct an assessment on your program.

Here is the web link:

http://www.fpg.unc.edu/~ecers/
kpa0627 11:20 AM 10-25-2010
I actually just joined a group that conducts these reviews twice a year and the score I get on it qualifies me for different grant amounts. I had my first assessment 3 weeks ago. She was here for 2 hours.... from 8:30 to 10:30 am. It was not as bad as I anticipated it was going to be. After the assessment she called me with a few more questions (because they are not able to see EVERY little thing that the book asks them to rate) and then we made an appointment for her to come during rest to go over the results. I ended up getting a 5 out of 7 on my first time. She said this was very good. I highly recommend getting the FCCERS book and reading every page and grading yourself first. Then take the time to make the changes before that person comes in to review you. I think I got a good score because I was prepared and knew what they would be looking for before they got here.
melskids 03:23 PM 10-25-2010
i have the book, and i just took a 6 hour training about how to conduct a self assessment. it was pretty helpful.

i still has a few questions though. she said something about if it isnt locked, she's gonna look through it. is she really going to look through things like my china cabinet and dresser drawers? i have nothing to hide, but that is kinda weird...lol

and they require alot of stuff for each area, and i get that some things must be accessible for certain lengths of time, but does that mean ALL choices for each center at the same time. for example, i have cardboard blocks, unit blocks, hollow blocks, foam unit blocks, & other wooden blocks. are they ALL supposed to be available at the same time, or can i rotate? my block area is only so big. and no way can i put out ALL the dramatic play at the same time, or the infant toys. there just isnt enough room. even like science and math stuff. is it supposed to ALL be out, or can i rotate certain things?

thanks for your help!!!!
Crystal 04:05 PM 10-25-2010
Okay. First, no she is not going to look through everything. She should ask you where you keep materials for the children and those are the places she should look. She should look under your kitchen sink, etc. to check for safety issues, but your personal stuff is off limits. So, when an assessor arrives, I would simply show her around, show her areas that are accessible to children, spaces you store materials/supplies/napmats etc. AND tell her spaces that are for your use only, that are not related to childcare, are not open to her to view.

No, all of your material do not have to be accessible, only AVAILABLE for you to add/roate, etc.

For the ECERS it has to be accessible to children, for FCCERS it has to be available.....closely related terms, but different meanings when used in the assessments.
MarinaVanessa 04:23 PM 10-25-2010
This is all really good info. Good to know. I have a training in February (unfortunately in my area they don't have the trainings available for daycare homes very often) about the rating scale so it's good to know these things now. I had never thought about becoming a teacher or getting a certificate in child development or anything so this all very new to me.

I don't even know what the requirements/steps are to get a teacher's/master teacher's certificate etc. I have an appointment on Thursday to try to figure all of this out. I do home daycare but hey, if it benefits the kids, it benefits the program. I'll have to go out now and buy the book, I'm sure that I'll need it for at least one class or training anyway.
Crystal 04:59 PM 10-25-2010
Marina....go to

http://www.childdevelopment.org

This site has all the info you need about the permits. Look for the "child development permit matrix" This organization will also pay all of your fees associated with your permits. I am a Professional Growth Advisor for them. If you have any questions or concerns after you have looked at this site, or have transcripts you want reviewed to see where you are in the level of permits now (if you have any ece units) I can advise you for free. Just PM me, or post here if you'd like.

This site info is good for California only.
Crystal 05:01 PM 10-25-2010
Also, I have conducted over 50 FCCERS/ECERS/ITERS. I am happy to answer any questions you may have.
melskids 02:22 AM 10-26-2010
crystal, thank you so much for the info and for being so helpful!!!!

i use my bedroom for some storage and for the PNP's for naps, so thats why i was wondering if she was going to look through stuff in there. she was telling us this aweful story about finding a loaded gun in a nightstand once, and as horrible as that is, i was thinking "what the heck is she doing looking through someone's nightstand"

they ( the woman doing the assessments and my licensor) are coming together for the first time just for a "test run" which i think is kinda cool. it gives us a chance to improve before we ge the "real" assessment next year.

she did tell us it is really hard to score well, and not to expect anything over a 3.5....but when i do a self assessment i give myself a 6. but i'm sure i'm just bias lol we'll see.......
MarinaVanessa 06:25 AM 10-26-2010
Originally Posted by Crystal:
Marina....go to

http://www.childdevelopment.org

This site has all the info you need about the permits. Look for the "child development permit matrix" This organization will also pay all of your fees associated with your permits. I am a Professional Growth Advisor for them. If you have any questions or concerns after you have looked at this site, or have transcripts you want reviewed to see where you are in the level of permits now (if you have any ece units) I can advise you for free. Just PM me, or post here if you'd like.

This site info is good for California only.
Crystal thanks. That's actually what I'm doing right now as a part of the ECE stipend project that I applied for, unfortunately the actual training on the FCCERS (which is for family child care right?) for a beginer like me is only offered a few times a year and the earliest one is in Feb. . But it can't hurt to buy the book now since I'll need it in Feb anyway, I'm sure that it'll help me to see what they'll be looking for. I can probably raise my score some on my own.

I'm just barely starting to get the idea of how the matrix works (they gave me a worksheet and explained it to some extent). I have an appointment this Thursday with an advisor and we'll go through my transcripts from college and see where I am. I figured why not? I was already going to take college courses anyway, why not do it and have a goal and get a certificate in the end instead of just taking random courses?

If I have any questions I'll be sure to ask you. I'm just waiting for Thursday's appointment so that I can figure out what classes I need to take, sign-up starts the first week of November and since I'm due soon I've been cramming as much training and appointments as I can get before then .
Crystal 07:17 AM 10-26-2010
Originally Posted by melskids:
crystal, thank you so much for the info and for being so helpful!!!!

i use my bedroom for some storage and for the PNP's for naps, so thats why i was wondering if she was going to look through stuff in there. she was telling us this aweful story about finding a loaded gun in a nightstand once, and as horrible as that is, i was thinking "what the heck is she doing looking through someone's nightstand"

they ( the woman doing the assessments and my licensor) are coming together for the first time just for a "test run" which i think is kinda cool. it gives us a chance to improve before we ge the "real" assessment next year.

she did tell us it is really hard to score well, and not to expect anything over a 3.5....but when i do a self assessment i give myself a 6. but i'm sure i'm just bias lol we'll see.......
If the children are sleeping in the space, it is likely that she will check your drawers.....I would simply move them to another space for the day if possible if you do not want her in there. Your playpens do not have to be set up, just available for you to set up if needed. As far as your materials being stored in there, she shouldn't look in drawers unless you specifically indicate that there are supplies in them, or if you tell her that children are allowed in the room.

As far as giving yourself a 6, yes, you are bias, lol, BUT, you also know your program better than any assessor ever will.....2-3 hours of observation is really just a "snapshot" of what your day looks like. As much as environment, I will say that what I REALLY look/listen for is the language and interactions between children/provider and amongst the children themselves. I listen for moments of discipline and how that is handled, I listen for the provider to be providing opportunities for the children to interact with her and with materials that stimulate reasoning, that require more input form both the provider and the child, etc. I also listen for "tone" Is the provider being genuine, or is it just a "show"

If you score a 5, you are doing very well. I have had programs score as low as a 2, and some score almost a 7..........5 is a happy medium, and allows for program improvements to be minimal.

When I score myself, and this is what I recommend to anyone doinf a self-assessment....I look at my program WAY more critically than an observer will. I use it as a tool for learning more about myself, for program improvements and for motivation to make sure I accomplish my goal, which is to provide the highest level of quality care available.
Tags:assessment
Reply Up