Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Am I the Only One?
daycare 01:38 PM 07-16-2015
With summer comes longer days filled with warm weather. Which means a lot more outside time and attending fun functions.

So my issue is this.

I love love love that my parents are picking up their kids early to go and have a fun filled day at the beach, Pier, family pool and etc. But the parents are running them ragged, keeping them up later than normal and the next day the kid comes back OH BOY OH BOY is it a nightmare. We have kids refusing to listen, falling asleep at the breakfast table, and etc. I do alter my summer program for this reason, because I know that families want to spend time together and it's impossible to implement preschool all year around when I know the kids are going to come in like this. NOW I don't tell the parents this, I do this for myself. BUT IT IS NOT WORKING

NOW. I do have in my rules that if a child can not participate as normal, we send home, but lately, that would mean just about all of my dcks.

today I had one that screamed at the top of their lungs, until they made themselves throw up and then said, I threw up now I get to go home.

I want to tell parents, I dont do you it you, please don't do it to me. BUT then again I also don't want to tell parents not to go have fun with their kids.

I feel like I can't win.
Blackcat31 01:44 PM 07-16-2015
Originally Posted by daycare:
With summer comes longer days filled with warm weather. Which means a lot more outside time and attending fun functions.

So my issue is this.

I love love love that my parents are picking up their kids early to go and have a fun filled day at the beach, Pier, family pool and etc. But the parents are running them ragged, keeping them up later than normal and the next day the kid comes back OH BOY OH BOY is it a nightmare. We have kids refusing to listen, falling asleep at the breakfast table, and etc. I do alter my summer program for this reason, because I know that families want to spend time together and it's impossible to implement preschool all year around when I know the kids are going to come in like this. NOW I don't tell the parents this, I do this for myself. BUT IT IS NOT WORKING

NOW. I do have in my rules that if a child can not participate as normal, we send home, but lately, that would mean just about all of my dcks.

today I had one that screamed at the top of their lungs, until they made themselves throw up and then said, I threw up now I get to go home.

I want to tell parents, I dont do you it you, please don't do it to me. BUT then again I also don't want to tell parents not to go have fun with their kids.

I feel like I can't win.
Same issues here so no you are not the only one. But my solution to this issue is PLAY.

We have no structured curriculum in the summer. Only play.

We stay on schedule for meals and snacks and rest time but nothing else.

Rest time is about 45 minutes longer than normal so I moved lunch to about 20 minutes earlier and called it good.
daycare 01:48 PM 07-16-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Same issues here so no you are not the only one. But my solution to this issue is PLAY.

We have no structured curriculum in the summer. Only play.

We stay on schedule for meals and snacks and rest time but nothing else.

Rest time is about 45 minutes longer than normal so I moved lunch to about 20 minutes earlier and called it good.
see this is why I love you...Genius, why didn't I think to move lunch earlier and start naps earlier....

The kids have been impossible to get up and some of them sleeping until parents get here at 415 because they refused to get up for me. I got tired of the battle, so I left them for the parents to deal with it. Then of course I get the gee thanks now they are not going to go to bed tonight from the parents..... Ummm sorry not my problem....ugh
daycare 02:07 PM 07-16-2015
what do you think of this letter

Hello parents,

Summer brings warm weather and longer days, which means more fun to be had by all. Over the course of the past several weeks, we have been having issues getting several of the kids to stay awake until nap time or sleeping so late and not able to wake them up from nap time. We feel that if we were to move lunch time to 12:00 and start naps earlier, we won't have these issues. We also don't want them napping late here affect their night time sleep at home.

We absolutely love that many of the kids are able to participate in fun and exciting outings with their family and friends, however, please do keep in mind that if your child is not able to participate as normal in care, we will have to send them home for the day. Hopefully with making this small change within our program, it will help them and we won't have to send anyone home.

Thank you all for your attention and understanding with this matter,
Blackcat31 02:49 PM 07-16-2015
Originally Posted by daycare:
what do you think of this letter

Hello parents,

Summer brings warm weather and longer days, which means more fun to be had by all. Over the course of the past several weeks, we have been having issues getting several of the kids to stay awake until nap time or sleeping so late and not able to wake them up from nap time. We feel that if we were to move lunch time to 12:00 and start naps earlier, we won't have these issues. We also don't want them napping late here affect their night time sleep at home.

We absolutely love that many of the kids are able to participate in fun and exciting outings with their family and friends, however, please do keep in mind that if your child is not able to participate as normal in care, we will have to send them home for the day. Hopefully with making this small change within our program, it will help them and we won't have to send anyone home.

Thank you all for your attention and understanding with this matter,

Tags:rules, summer activities, tired kids
Reply Up