Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Gave Out Packets And Kids Not Enrolled!!!
tbutler 09:18 AM 08-25-2011
In the past two weeks, I've had four families to come by my home for tour/interview and all four took enrollment packets with them. Only one has returned the packet and her daughter started full time on Monday. The three other families have not enrolled their children nor re-contacted me though they did seem very interested.

My frustration:
I paid to make those copies and for the beautiful purple (my fav color) folder they were housed in....That's money just walking out the door!!!!!

My resolution:
A Pre-Registration Form- This is a one page, two-sided form.
Side one: list of my prices for infants, toddlers, and preschool age, day care hours and my contact info, and a small paragraph for parents to list their child's name, which age group the child will be in, and the applicable tuition, place for parent and my signature on bottom.

Side two: place for parent to write their requested first day of attendance, section for all of child's info (name, dob, address, etc), section for all of mothers info, section for all of dad's info.

My plan:
When parents come for tour, go through normal introduction of myself and my family and get to know their family a bit. (I request that husbands and child come with mom-the one who usually calls). Have a sit down and quickly paraphrase the key points in my handbook and let them look thru it freely to ask any questions. If they are interested, give them the Pre-registration form, once they return pre-registration form along with first week's tuition, then give them a registration packet to return no later than child's first day.

Opinions are welcome....Do you think I should email a copy of my handbook to parents once they leave with the pre-registration form and advise them they will receive a hardcopy once their child is enrolled? Or just let them review it on their tour?

I'd much rather put funds toward advertising than making copies to never have the child enrolled!
sharlan 09:23 AM 08-25-2011
I don't give them anything until they're ready to sign the contract.
laundrymom 09:42 AM 08-25-2011
I have one contract copy that I have in a binder that is highlighted to stress important parts. I tell them I can email them a copy if they want but my ink is out in my printer, sorry. My daughter printed a huge report with pictures and used all. Then if they get back to me I give them one or have them print it at home and bring it.
Koukla 09:46 AM 08-25-2011
I as well am going to stop giving out my packet until they are ready to sign up. I have gone through so many already this past month.
MamaBear 09:53 AM 08-25-2011
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
I have one contract copy that I have in a binder that is highlighted to stress important parts. I tell them I can email them a copy if they want but my ink is out in my printer, sorry. My daughter printed a huge report with pictures and used all. Then if they get back to me I give them one or have them print it at home and bring it.
Thats a great idea! I think I need to do that. I'm also guilty of handing out my policy contract to everyone who tours... I'm not sure why I do that. I usually use it as my closing to get them to leave (haha)... So I guess now I'll just show them what it looks like and tell them if they do decide to come here, THEN I'll give it to them. Such a waste of our paper handing these out so freely.
learn-n-grow 10:24 AM 08-25-2011
Originally Posted by tbutler:
In the past two weeks, I've had four families to come by my home for tour/interview and all four took enrollment packets with them. Only one has returned the packet and her daughter started full time on Monday. The three other families have not enrolled their children nor re-contacted me though they did seem very interested.

My frustration:
I paid to make those copies and for the beautiful purple (my fav color) folder they were housed in....That's money just walking out the door!!!!!

My resolution:
A Pre-Registration Form- This is a one page, two-sided form.
Side one: list of my prices for infants, toddlers, and preschool age, day care hours and my contact info, and a small paragraph for parents to list their child's name, which age group the child will be in, and the applicable tuition, place for parent and my signature on bottom.

Side two: place for parent to write their requested first day of attendance, section for all of child's info (name, dob, address, etc), section for all of mothers info, section for all of dad's info.

My plan:
When parents come for tour, go through normal introduction of myself and my family and get to know their family a bit. (I request that husbands and child come with mom-the one who usually calls). Have a sit down and quickly paraphrase the key points in my handbook and let them look thru it freely to ask any questions. If they are interested, give them the Pre-registration form, once they return pre-registration form along with first week's tuition, then give them a registration packet to return no later than child's first day.

Opinions are welcome....Do you think I should email a copy of my handbook to parents once they leave with the pre-registration form and advise them they will receive a hardcopy once their child is enrolled? Or just let them review it on their tour?

I'd much rather put funds toward advertising than making copies to never have the child enrolled!
this is a great idea because I too wasted paper and ink...
TBird 10:44 AM 08-25-2011
I don't get a whole lot of interviews so I usually don't mind them taking the packet.
tbutler 10:50 AM 08-25-2011
Originally Posted by sharlan:
I don't give them anything until they're ready to sign the contract.
lol!! I like that idea!!!
tbutler 10:53 AM 08-25-2011
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
That's a great idea also!!! I may just do this and 86 the Pre-Registration form.

Question: When do you give them the enrollment packet?
Unregistered 11:06 AM 08-25-2011
I just email the contract and then if they want to enroll, then they just need to print it and bring it to me.
Crazy8 11:13 AM 08-25-2011
I think a pre-registration form is a great idea. I don't like the idea of just having them look over stuff at the interview and not giving anything to take home. I use those folders from Staples that you can get during the 1¢ sales.

Do you give out references? To maybe make your packet look a little complete I would probably include the pre-registration form, the universal healthcare form (assuming you are in the US and use it), your references and maybe something "fun" like your daily sheet or your daily schedule.

Then when they bring that back with the deposit give them your "real" packet.

Heck, if I can get myself to revamp my forms I think I'm going to steal this idea!!!
NiNi.R. 11:43 AM 08-25-2011
I also was having the same problem. I do the tour go over the handbook ask if they have any questions then I have them fill out an "all about me" form for their child. If they decide they want to enroll I ask for a $20.00 non refundable deposit. When I get that I'll give them their paperwork. If they follow through and start up the 20.00 will go towards their first payment. If not I get myself an extra 20 bucks for my time
tbutler 05:07 PM 08-25-2011
Originally Posted by LittleDiamonds:
I think a pre-registration form is a great idea. I don't like the idea of just having them look over stuff at the interview and not giving anything to take home. I use those folders from Staples that you can get during the 1¢ sales.

Do you give out references? To maybe make your packet look a little complete I would probably include the pre-registration form, the universal healthcare form (assuming you are in the US and use it), your references and maybe something "fun" like your daily sheet or your daily schedule.

Then when they bring that back with the deposit give them your "real" packet.

Heck, if I can get myself to revamp my forms I think I'm going to steal this idea!!!
No, I don't give out references but that is a good idea. I do have a reference letter from my supervisor after I lost my job at the end of this last school year. So based on your suggestions, I'll STAPLE the pre-registration form, my reference letter, my daily schedule for them to take with them. After they return the pre-registration form with first weeks tuition, then I'll give them the "enrollment packet" with the parent handbook and admission forms. Thanks for the help everyone!!!

Oh and steal away LittleDiamonds!!! lol!
KBCsMommy 05:14 PM 08-25-2011
I have a basic handout of 2 pages that covers the important things i.e. hours prices and things like that, that I give at interviews. When a parent is ready to enroll their children I give them the full licensing paperwork and contract and handbook.
If a parent likes you and your place they will contact you. Otherwise they will just take the packet to be nice (Ive done that!).

Save your money and do a pre enrollment simple handout!!
Abigail 08:27 PM 08-25-2011
How long do you guys talk to the potential new families on the phone? I was thinking I would talk enough on the phone and give them rates or at least call them back with a rate and if they could afford it and the location and hours worked then we would set up a tour for 30-45 minutes with their child and read over the handbook or go over the main parts and just give them the packet in a folder. I sure hope I don't have too many people who I meet in person who decide not to go with me. The location would be given over the phone, the rates would be given over the phone, and basics that they have concern for would already be discussed. If they were just "fishing around" or not happy with the setup is why I'd think they wouldn't enroll.
Tags:enrollment forms, interview, interview tour, packet, registration, tour
Reply Up