Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>A Few Questions
frgsonmysox 06:28 AM 12-06-2011
I'm not sure this is the right place for this, but here goes:

In NE it says you don't have to be licensed unless you take 4 children or more from different families. I have 5 kids and I plan to take 3 on, does this mean I don't need to be licensed?

Is there a benefit to being licensed anyway? I'm thinking of starting without and getting my license stuff done as I go along.
bice99 07:17 AM 12-06-2011
I'm guessing that means more than 3 kids if you have kids from more than one family. That's the law in Oregon. No license equals 3 kids or over 3 kids if they are ALL from the same family.
smb757 07:22 AM 12-06-2011
I'm also in NE! Yes, you can watch up to 3 children in addition to your own without being licensed. Depending on the ages of your own children, it may not help you out to be licensed. You can have up to 8, with the possibility of 2 additional school-agers, with 1 provider. Your own children, under the age of 8 count in your ratio.

With that said, I'm doing just what you said - I'm watching 3 children while I'm working on getting licensed. :-) I highly recommend that you attend one of the daycare sessions. They're free and they'll answer your questions. Plus it's one of the requirements to become licensed!
frgsonmysox 08:56 AM 12-06-2011
But I don't need to count my own children in that do I? I can still take on 3 additional kids to my own?
MyAngels 09:10 AM 12-06-2011
Originally Posted by frgsonmysox:
But I don't need to count my own children in that do I? I can still take on 3 additional kids to my own?
Does it say anything about the total number of children you can have? From what you posted, it doesn't sound like they even consider your own children in the equation.
Zoe 09:11 AM 12-06-2011
I'd check it out with your state. In MN, they don't count your own children when you're unlicensed. Just as long as you only take on ONE other family.
frgsonmysox 09:17 AM 12-06-2011
DHHS is the people I'd call to verify, right? It said 8 children total (if licensed) including your own, and 2 additional school age children.

Is there a benefit to being licensed if I don't have to be?
Zoe 09:20 AM 12-06-2011
I believe so. The benefits to being licensed is that you can take on more children and you apply for the food programs where you get reimbursed for feeding the kiddos.

Honestly though, if I didn't need to be licensed, I wouldn't. It's not that big of a deal, but I'm not a fan of having to follow some of the regulations. Guess I'm a natural rebel! Don't like following others' rules!
frgsonmysox 12:09 PM 12-06-2011
Originally Posted by smb757:
I'm also in NE! Yes, you can watch up to 3 children in addition to your own without being licensed. Depending on the ages of your own children, it may not help you out to be licensed. You can have up to 8, with the possibility of 2 additional school-agers, with 1 provider. Your own children, under the age of 8 count in your ratio.

With that said, I'm doing just what you said - I'm watching 3 children while I'm working on getting licensed. :-) I highly recommend that you attend one of the daycare sessions. They're free and they'll answer your questions. Plus it's one of the requirements to become licensed!
I just saw this reply!!

Where are the daycare sessions held? I'm having a baby in 2 months and won't be able to leave him for a year (we are nursers) so anything I need to get done now, I want to do.
caring4kidsinSD 12:15 PM 12-06-2011
In my state, we can only be on the food program if we are licensed and while it doesn't pay much, every little bit helps and I have to stay, if you are a bargin shopper, it will cover most of the food.

Also we are eligible for some grants if we are registered. Pretty much supplied my backyard playground with those

So yes there are advantages of being licensed. I know some think it's too much paperwork(IMO it's not that much) but I guess it all depends how much you need the extra money.
frgsonmysox 01:26 PM 12-06-2011
I was planning on providing two snacks a day for free, and offering lunch and breakfast at a cost per day. The kids could bring their own or I could provide for $1-$2 per meal. Is that too much, do you think?
littlemommy 01:28 PM 12-07-2011
Originally Posted by frgsonmysox:
I was planning on providing two snacks a day for free, and offering lunch and breakfast at a cost per day. The kids could bring their own or I could provide for $1-$2 per meal. Is that too much, do you think?
I'm also from NE!

The free snacks will add up quick. I'm licensed and on the food program and love it!
As far as letting kids bring their own lunch, that may end up causing problems down the road. I've let that happen in the past and it causes major jealousy issues between the kids. Not to mention it's usually junk food. I don't allow any food or cups/drinks from home anymore.
frgsonmysox 03:11 PM 12-07-2011
I think I'll become licensed eventually, but its going to probably be after I start taking kids on. Chris is deploying here soon, and it's going to get crazy fast so I need to be able to take more time to do it.

Until I'm licensed I don't qualify for the food program, right?
Christian Mother 07:12 PM 12-07-2011
Here in AZ you can care for up to 4 children as well as your own and not be lic. I am not lic. and bc I pay taxs for my daycare and the parents claim me I right off all my daycare food at the end of the yr. I just keep really good receipts for the exsp. I claim about 5.79 (i think that's the amount) a day per child That is breakfast, lunch, and 3 snacks. So I don't use the food program at all. I know with the food program you ashually get money up front to help with the expenses but at the end of the yr you ashually do pay taxes on it. For me I do it back words. I would rather pay out of pocket and then get it back at the end of the yr. We have a tax lady that helps me prepare my taxs at the end of the yr and you are able to write off quiet a bit. So, I recommend checking with your CPA that your doing daycare so you can write it off as a business.
smb757 08:02 PM 12-13-2011
Sorry that I'm just now getting back to you, I was MIA for a bit and went specifically looking for this thread!

Anyway, here's the classes I was talking about - http://dhhs.ne.gov/publichealth/Docu...rientation.pdf
The date/time/location depends on your location.

Unlicensed - you can have up to 3 kids (or more than 3 if they're ALL from the same family). Your children do NOT count into this ratio.

Licensed - You can have up to 8 kids (plus 2 more school-agers) and your kids DO count in this ratio.

Personally, if I were only 3 kids, I wouldn't go through the whole processed to become licensed. However, I plan on only taking 2-3 full-time kiddos and then having drop-in/part-time care. So, I want to have the ability to take on as many as 12 at any given time - We're applying for the family home II. You are also eligible for the food program and grants. Another benefit is that DHHS has a list of licensed daycares that a prospective parent might look through. Also, I feel like it gives a little extra credibility.

Watching some kids before becoming licensed may also be beneficial because it can help boost your list of reference letters (you need 2 to become licensed).

Hope that helps!
AfterSchoolMom 04:53 AM 12-14-2011
I don't make it a secret here that I'm not a fan of becoming licensed. I don't have anything to hide, but I strongly object to the state telling me what I can and cannot do - they even regulate what you do with your own children in your own house. I guess I'm with Zoe - I'm a rebel too.
frgsonmysox 03:04 PM 12-14-2011
Thank you!! I've spoken to a few people in the area and everyone agrees that it's not worth getting licensed unless I plan to take more than 3 kids on, and I just don't think I could handle more than three with as many kids as I have of my own as well. That may change, especially because it DOES look good to be licensed, and the food program and grants sound nice.
daycare 03:08 PM 12-14-2011
I am not the best at understanding and comprehending the English language, but it sounds like to me that you would be ok unless you are caring for 4 or more children from different families, so taking three sounds like you are in the clear..
Tags:illegal providers, license - exempt, licensed vs unlicensed, ratios, unlicensed daycare
Reply Up