Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Do You Do When...
Littlemisssunshine 11:19 AM 03-20-2012
DCM doesn't notify you if child will be late or missing that day?
daycare 11:28 AM 03-20-2012
Originally Posted by Littlemisssunshine:
DCM doesn't notify you if child will be late or missing that day?
I remind them that I need to know when the child will be present or not. I still charge for that day and if they do it 3 times without notice, I term. I have never had to do it, but that is what my PHB says.

Do you have a parent hand book?? What does your rules say
bice99 11:28 AM 03-20-2012
She still pays and it's an extra $25 finder's fee per my handbook. They have to call/text before their child's contract drop off time to say they will be late or not come. I prefer to have even more notice than that b/c it does affect my day, but that's the way I have it worded.
BigMama 11:32 AM 03-20-2012
I call anyone who isn't here by 1/2 hour later than their normal time. If they normally come at 7:30 and aren't here by 8, I call them. "Hi, this is _______! I just wanted to make sure that everything is ok and to make sure we are expecting Howard today!"
jojosmommy 11:40 AM 03-20-2012
I smile. Late drop off or no drop off means little to me. They join us whenever they arrive. Less work for me actually .
Heidi 11:46 AM 03-20-2012
15 minutes late, and I start calling everyone on the list. I don't want to live with the consequences when an overtired or spacey parent goes to work, leaving their sleeping child in the car instead of comming to dc. Each year, several children die accross the country when that happens. Technically, it's not my responsibility, but I'll take it if I have to.

If I get a hold of them, they get a dressing down and I explain WHY I am calling. It's never happened a 2nd time since I've given this rather graphic explanation.
laundrymom 12:18 PM 03-20-2012
More than 30 min late, I consider it a paid day off and may not be here.
momma2girls 12:23 PM 03-20-2012
I have an hr. late in my contract, I go about my day. If we want to take a walk, etc. we do it. This happened once in all the yrs. late drop off, didn't happen again. Then a drop off in the afternoon after a dr. appt. sorry, I am gone. If you do not call, I do not know you are coming and go about my day. If I am gone, I'm gone!!! They still pay me regardless, it should only take one time for that to happen!!
wdmmom 01:10 PM 03-20-2012
Parents are required to notify me (email, call, text, voicemail, etc) that their child will be absent at least 30 minutes before their designated drop off time.

Failure to do so will result in a $10 convenience fee in addition to your normal daily rate.

(The convenience fee was put in place for a family that I used to work for that dropped off at 615am when my next DCK didn't come until 745am. I got really tired of getting up super early everyday when DCM was notorious for being late or "forgetting" to call.)
Soccermom 10:10 AM 03-21-2012
I always call and ask if the child will be attending or not. While they are on the line I ask that they call me prior to the child's regular drop off time to let me know so I can better plan out my day.
DBug 10:47 AM 03-21-2012
To me, it's not a big deal. We just go about our day. If we're not at the bus stop, I'll leave a note saying where we are and that they can drop off there. I've done it twice just this week .

Parents have crazy schedules sometimes (or they're just sleeping in ), but I'm not going to worry about trying to micro-manage their days. I've never had a parent concerned about it, so it works out well for me.

I do have it listed in my contract that if a child is not coming at all, the parent should call and let me know before 9am. My parents have always been really good about that. One parent forgot once, but that was because dcm went into labour that day, so I totally understood.
Reply Up