Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Room Set Ups
Preschool/daycare teacher 03:10 PM 10-28-2010
I am trying to set up "centers", but it seems so complicated. Math center, Science Center, Dramatic Play Center, Block Center, Manipulatives Center, Sand & Water Center, Writing Center, Library Center, etc! I don't have space for much, so I'm looking for ways you all have set up your play areas (since you probably don't have anymore room than us!). Would you mind posting some pictures of your set-ups? If you think you could give me some good tips, I'll send you a PM with a picture of the room I'm trying to set up better. We have the same problem as many others with 2 yr old dumpers. They also love to take toys out of their bins and throw them across the room just for fun. But we also have older preschoolers and school agers who know how to play right with the toys, but the toddlers put a damper on the toys we can have available for them. Keeping them seperate isn't an option. Sooo, I'd love to see your set-ups!
Preschool/daycare teacher 03:27 PM 10-28-2010
Actually, it's not so much the space (considering how little space other home care providers have to work with, we have a huge space), but it's the lack of funds for additional shelving and toys, as in $0 And the room I'm talking about also has to be used as the nap room, as there is nowhere else to do it. I'd rather not have to move all the furniture and toys everytime we get ready for nap and then rearrange it again when they get up and we put away all the cots.
kendallina 05:09 PM 10-28-2010
I don't have a pic now, but for my learning centers, I have:

Quiet/reading area (books, puzzles, manipulatives, doll house)

Block (blocks of all kinds, animals, cars, trains, construction, etc)

Dramatic play (kitchen, dress-up, music, whatever other pretend stuff we're rotating in)

Art (paper, crayons, markers, glue etc etc)

I have science, math, etc woven throughout the room and we often do science/math for small group activities anyways.

Not sure if that helps, but I'll try to post a pic later...
MarinaVanessa 08:52 AM 10-29-2010
The only free standing centers that I have are the book nook (reading center), Imagination station (pretend play), puzzles and the art center which is actually just an easil. I put all of my other "centers" into plastic bins and pull them out when I need them. All of my supplies too like my art supplies, craft supplies etc. If we do the math center I pull out the manipulatives tote and they have at it at the child size table. Same thing goes with the science and cooking center. The sand and water centers are outside. I just get everything that I need out in the AM and have it ready when they arrive.
MG&Lsmom 09:30 AM 10-29-2010
We live in a open concept ranch so I'm able to split up some of my centers. I have pretend play (dress up, doll house, food) in my daughter's room, Reading nook and blocks/cars in the living room, and art in my dining room. I have room for 2-3 other centers and switch it up all the time, maybe every 2 weeks. For math, science, cooking, puzzles, bigger A&C, I just take out the bins when we're ready to start. I've done this with my own kids since we move here and downsized from 2200 to 1300 sq ft. Luckily I have a huge basement for storage that's just begging to be refinished as a daycare room. Just waiting to win the lottery
Crystal 01:29 PM 10-29-2010
I have about 400 square feet of space. I have:

Art/Writing
Dramatic PLay
Math/Science
Blcoks and circle time area
Cozy/book corner
Discovery Table in my entry

Let me see if my pics will work here:

http://www.shutterfly.com/lightbox/v...9889752d9a603c
Crystal 01:33 PM 10-29-2010
Okay, that didn't work. Let me see if I can get some help.
Crystal 01:36 PM 10-29-2010

Preschool/daycare teacher 01:47 PM 10-29-2010
Your last one didn't post either, Crystal. It just has a small box with an x in it.
Crystal 01:50 PM 10-29-2010
I know. I'm trying. Sorry.
Crystal 01:52 PM 10-29-2010
okay, let's see if this one works:
Attached: wideview.jpg (95.9 KB) 
Crystal 01:55 PM 10-29-2010
YAY. I did it!

Here are a few more:
Attached: artwriting.jpg (94.0 KB) mathscience.jpg (90.4 KB) 
Michael 01:57 PM 10-29-2010
The problem was that Shutterfly, where the picture is, has a member login to get acces to the photo. Best thing to do is upload it to the Daycare.com forum server.
Crystal 01:57 PM 10-29-2010
couple more...
Attached: blockscircletime.jpg (97.8 KB) cozycorner.jpg (89.9 KB) 
DCMomOf3 01:59 PM 10-29-2010
Crystal, I love the space you have for art.
Crystal 02:00 PM 10-29-2010
last two...
Attached: overheadview.jpg (97.6 KB) discovery table.jpg (99.3 KB) 
Crystal 02:00 PM 10-29-2010
Originally Posted by Quincy:
Crystal, I love the space you have for art.
Thank you.
Crystal 02:02 PM 10-29-2010
BTW, my walls look crappy right now....really need to paint. And, you won't see much on bulletin boards, etc. right now because I'm changing over for November
melskids 02:22 PM 10-29-2010
crystal- i LOVE your set up!!
AfterSchoolMom 02:24 PM 10-29-2010
Wow, AMAZING set up!!!!!!! Great job!
Crystal 02:29 PM 10-29-2010
Thanks ladies
juliebug 03:25 PM 10-29-2010
crystal i love love your set up! i have changed mine a few time and am finally really likeing it
DCMomOf3 03:48 PM 10-29-2010
I have younger kids so stations don't really work for me, so I have an open concept, which works for me. I hope as my group ages I can make my space as plesantly situated.
MommyMuffin 04:42 PM 10-29-2010
This is my dramatic play area, I am still working on my other areas. It is just a bedroom that has a dramatic play area, changing table, block area. My reading area is in my living room...thats all I have right now.
Attached: Daycare Pictures 013.jpg (90.7 KB) Daycare Pictures 016.jpg (91.2 KB) 
Crystal 07:16 PM 10-29-2010
Very nice! I love how it looks like "home"! Very inviting to the children

I recently took my kitchen set out, as my student teacher has taken over my dramatic play and is working on a restaraunt theme.

I miss my kitchen set, but funny, the kids don't! They have been loving playing with new ideas!
ninosqueridos 07:23 PM 10-29-2010
love both setups!! What ages kids do you each care for currently crystal and mommymuffin?
Crystal 07:35 PM 10-29-2010
my children are currently 2-6 years old. they have all been with me since they were infants.

I have materials for younger children/all age groups on lower shelves, older age groups on higher shelves.

We have 15 children enrolled....8-13 here at a time.
Preschool/daycare teacher 09:40 PM 10-29-2010
WOW! You guys have some great set-ups! Thank you for sharing! Anyone volunteer to help me out? The room doesn't have much in it because...well, it's a long story, but now I'm trying to get some centers set up. I'll PM you with some pictures if you want to take a stab at it....
Preschool/daycare teacher 09:46 PM 10-29-2010
Originally Posted by Crystal:
YAY. I did it!

Here are a few more:
What is the red background thing with what looks like colored cards (in your science center on the side of the shelving with the fish tank on top)? If it makes any sense how I just described it! Just curious...
DancingQueen 03:41 AM 10-30-2010
I love your set up crystal but the children I have would pull all of it down. So I've been working on setting up some good stations etc.. but at the same time not making it easy for them to trash the house every time I go to the bathroom.
Crystal 07:19 AM 10-30-2010
Originally Posted by Preschool/daycare teacher:
What is the red background thing with what looks like colored cards (in your science center on the side of the shelving with the fish tank on top)? If it makes any sense how I just described it! Just curious...
It is a pocket chart, $1.00 at Target, with paint sample cards from home depot, free. The children use the cards to sort by color, matching, play memory with them, and for seriating from light to dark/dark to light.
Crystal 07:20 AM 10-30-2010
WOW! You guys have some great set-ups! Thank you for sharing! Anyone volunteer to help me out? The room doesn't have much in it because...well, it's a long story, but now I'm trying to get some centers set up. I'll PM you with some pictures if you want to take a stab at it....
I'd be happy to help you. Send the pics, and I'll take a look later and get back to you.
Crystal 07:23 AM 10-30-2010
Originally Posted by sbschildcare:
I love your set up crystal but the children I have would pull all of it down. So I've been working on setting up some good stations etc.. but at the same time not making it easy for them to trash the house every time I go to the bathroom.
Getting the stations set up is a great start. Gradually over time you can add more and the children will get used to it - what I found is that they tend to appreciate it when things are in order (stations) and they have more variety of materials.....they will learn to be respectful of the things you bring in. Redirect, redirect, redirect, until they understand. It takes time, but having as much stuff as I do actually makes my job easier - they have access to ample materials and supplies so there is less fighting over stuff, and they keep themselves actively involved in play - I just facilitate it!
Preschool/daycare teacher 10:54 AM 10-30-2010
I'd be happy to help you. Send the pics, and I'll take a look later and get back to you.
Okay, I'm obviously not thinking today! I sent you a message (well, two actually. One to send you the pictures, and another to say how dumb I am and why it didn't work! haha. Do you have an e-mail address you could PM me with and I'll e-mail them to you? I don't have any idea how to add pictures to a PM from my computer. Sorry for all the go around and Private messages and now another post here!
MommyMuffin 04:31 PM 10-30-2010
Originally Posted by ninosqueridos:
love both setups!! What ages kids do you each care for currently crystal and mommymuffin?
I am starting on Monday and I have 3 kids under 3 years old.
I just went to a daycare center closing sale and I got the best deals!!! Two heavy duty kids tables, with 4 chairs, a glider, little tykes work bench, Little Tykes Easel, Big Books, and a few other things for 120.00!!! I cannot fit them in my house though. When my husband finishes the basement I will set everything up and I will post a picture so you can tell me what you gals think.
Mom4two 06:30 PM 10-30-2010
Here is my set up. right now I am trying to decorate the walls with different things. Let me know what you all think.Oct-26-2010-006.jpg

Oct-26-2010-012.jpg

Oct-26-2010-014.jpg

Oct-26-2010-016.jpg
Attached:
Abigail 07:16 PM 10-30-2010
Here is my set up. right now I am trying to decorate the walls with different things. Let me know what you all think.

Do you use the light stand? If you don't I would take it out so everything is used for the daycare. I like your kidney table, I have the same one but different colors and the same chairs as you too! Do you normally move the table against the wall to save room? Is this your only daycare room? You are very organized. It will look great once you get the Abc's or 123's and some art work on the wall. Do you plan to put up window coverings?
Mom4two 07:57 PM 10-30-2010
Originally Posted by Abigail:
Here is my set up. right now I am trying to decorate the walls with different things. Let me know what you all think.

Do you use the light stand? If you don't I would take it out so everything is used for the daycare. I like your kidney table, I have the same one but different colors and the same chairs as you too! Do you normally move the table against the wall to save room? Is this your only daycare room? You are very organized. It will look great once you get the Abc's or 123's and some art work on the wall. Do you plan to put up window coverings?
I do use the light. I had it in the corner by the window but moved it so I could make more room for play. I have the table set up against the wall to save room. I have my whole first floor of my house dedicated to childcare. I have a dining room for eating. the room of the pictures is where I would like to spend most of the time. My living room is the nap/resting area along with at the end of the day tv time. I have printed up some bubble letters for the ABC's and Numbers just have to color, cut, and laminate them then I will be hanging them. I don't have any kids yet. I have fliers that will be going out soon. for the window's I am undecided. I thought about window clings for decoration. but I am not sure about curtains or blinds.
Crystal 10:07 AM 10-31-2010
Okay, I'm obviously not thinking today! I sent you a message (well, two actually. One to send you the pictures, and another to say how dumb I am and why it didn't work! haha. Do you have an e-mail address you could PM me with and I'll e-mail them to you? I don't have any idea how to add pictures to a PM from my computer. Sorry for all the go around and Private messages and now another post here!
you can email me at creativekids@sbcglobal.net
Lianne 12:25 PM 10-31-2010
Getting the stations set up is a great start. Gradually over time you can add more and the children will get used to it - what I found is that they tend to appreciate it when things are in order (stations) and they have more variety of materials.....they will learn to be respectful of the things you bring in. Redirect, redirect, redirect, until they understand. It takes time, but having as much stuff as I do actually makes my job easier - they have access to ample materials and supplies so there is less fighting over stuff, and they keep themselves actively involved in play - I just facilitate it!
I agree with what Crystal said but want to add a suggestion. Once you get your stations set up, start out small and simple with what/how much you put in each station. If you have lego, put out 20 blocks instead of 50 or 100, put out 2-3 trucks instead of 10, put out 4-5 Little People and a few accessories instead of a whole bucketfull, put out two puzzles instead of five and two babies & a small container of playfood instead of all of what you've got, etc. As they learn how to play and put away their toys you can add more items to each station. We keep our manipulatives (puzzles, magnetic dressing dolls) magnifying glasses, sorting activities, etc. on a small bookcase next to a table and those toys (table toys as we called them) had to be played with AT the table only so we didn't lose pieces. When I first introduced the table toy idea I had about four activities on the bookshelf and only one child was allowed to play at the table at a time. The child was required to tidy up their first activity before pulling out another or leaving the table. Once I could trust them to do this (only took 4-6 weeks or so) I put 6-7 activities on the bookcase and two kids could be at the table at a time. Kepping the amount of toys available to a minimum helped keep things under control during the learning process of a new way of using the toys/stations.
Abigail 08:37 PM 10-31-2010
Originally Posted by Mom4two:
I do use the light. I had it in the corner by the window but moved it so I could make more room for play. I have the table set up against the wall to save room. I have my whole first floor of my house dedicated to childcare. I have a dining room for eating. the room of the pictures is where I would like to spend most of the time. My living room is the nap/resting area along with at the end of the day tv time. I have printed up some bubble letters for the ABC's and Numbers just have to color, cut, and laminate them then I will be hanging them. I don't have any kids yet. I have fliers that will be going out soon. for the window's I am undecided. I thought about window clings for decoration. but I am not sure about curtains or blinds.
Wow sounds like you're very organized! Now you just need to get your doors open. I'm collecting daycare items for when we move into a house, but I work at a daycare part time still. I really can't wait to be in charge of my own though. Do you want help with flyers or are they finished? I'd love to know what kind of things you're advertising. Good luck.
Preschool/daycare teacher 05:50 PM 11-02-2010
you can email me at creativekids@sbcglobal.net
Thank you! I just sent you the email. I didn't have a chance Sunday and Monday to get online, so that's why I hadn't responded yet to your message or this post.
Tags:layout, play area
Reply Up