Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Reserving a day how do you handle this? HELP!!
legomom922 09:28 AM 11-02-2010
I have 1 parent who's scheduled days change every couple of months due to the fact that she is a sports coach. Currently she is contracted for m, th, & f. Since I have recently termed my dcb, I now have 1 FT spot to fill. However, if I fill it, I would no longer have tues/and or wed open, and so when this dcm days change again, they would be taken. So I am going to offer the days to her before I place my ad, but how do you this? How do you charge people when they are not going to be using the days? She only comes PT anyway(4-6 hrs), and is already paying my reg daily rate of $35/day. So I am not sure on what to offer her. I guess I wouldn't feel right charging her 175 wk when she is only using 3 days or 20 hrs/wk, butthen again, I can fill this spot at 175/wk also, and she is really the best dcm I have ever had and I dont want to lose her either by filling this ft with someone else and leaving her to find someone else when her days change again.

So what would you suggest??
DancingQueen 09:32 AM 11-02-2010
I would offer her the option of paying the full rate to keep the option of using those days in the future or run the risk of them not being available to her in the future.

If you get a full time child then you would be getting full payment for those two days.
You aren't taking the days away from her - just taking away the option of her switching schedules again. You are being more than fair and polite by offering her the option of paying for the days in case she needs them before you give them to someone else.
I think it is unfair of a parent to ask you to not get payment from someone else in case they need the days.
DCMom 12:26 PM 11-02-2010
I have a family like this; mom is nurse and works a rotating/on call schedule. Dad works 8-4:30. Some weeks he is here 2 days, some 3, some 4 ~ it all depends on mom's schedule. I charge them a 25% reduced rate for a full time spot ($120 for a $160 spot). That way I have a steady income and she has a guaranteed spot. It has worked well for us; she is really good about keeping him home when she is off and she appreciates the flexibility.
MommyMuffin 12:30 PM 11-02-2010
DCmom that is a really good idea.
I just had a similar situation. I had a nurse contact me and she wants anywhere from 3 - 7 hours a day all different. I told her that since it would take a full time spot that I would charge the fulltime price. Next time I am going to take off 25% though!! At least you will keep the parent and make most of the income you would had you filled it with someone else.
kidkair 03:02 PM 11-02-2010
I would offer the mom the full time spot and just let her know that she can use the days even if she's off so that she can get running around or cleaning done if she would like to. Or I would do DCmom's suggestion. I offer $$ off to all my clients who do full time rather than part-time so that I don't have to deal with crazy scheduling with a bunch of part-timers.
legomom922 04:38 PM 11-02-2010
I dont mind a bunch of part timers because I actually make out better that way and being that I can only have 2 FT anyway, I need to make the most out of the ones I do have. I do not offer a pt rate. Everyone pays the same, no matter what age or how many hours. I wouldn't have a problem charging her the reg rate for the other days if she was using more hrs, but some days she only comes for 3hrs, and at the most 6. I can get 175/wk by charging my flat fee of $35/day..If I knew she could afford to do that, I wouldnt have a problem with it, but she doesnt make that much anyway, and she is actually looking for a 2nd pt job at night when her dh is home..

I'm stumped...
Reply Up