Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Respiratory Virus.. Hacking & Boogs Galore
KDC 10:42 AM 02-23-2012
Anyone else hit by a nasty respiratory virus? It's been AWFUL here... one sent home for high fever, then it spread like wildflower. Usually it's a domino effect -- this time BOOM, all at the same time. The fevers have all subsided and now I have 8 whiny, coughing, cranky, sick kiddos. My heart feels for them, as I know they probably want nothing more than to just go home and be snuggled by Mommy or Daddy. I'm doing my best, but know I'm just not the same, or there's not enough of me to go around .

I know the parents missed work with fevers and can't miss out, otherwise I'd love to just snuggle my lovelies and chill for the day. I'm recovering from strep throat, a migraine & lack of sleep due to middle of the night crying from my 3 kiddos. This is when I realize how much of an effect daycare has as opposed to being a SAHM. I am one pooped puppy.
Soupyszoo 12:50 PM 02-23-2012
I have the exact same situation here! Everyone has had fevers, coughing, and runny noses. Someone brought it in and now I can't get rid of it! Nothing sucks more than seeing a poor little kiddo that doesn't feel good X 5!
momma2girls 01:24 PM 02-23-2012
Do you have something written into your contract, re. whiny, crying, unable to engage in activities, not sleeping, etc..?
KDC 01:48 PM 02-23-2012
Originally Posted by momma2girls:
Do you have something written into your contract, re. whiny, crying, unable to engage in activities, not sleeping, etc..?
Not exactly, contract includes; severe coughing, rapid breathing, croup, or whooping sound after coughing. This is just a nasty virus. All clear runny noses and wet chest cough & cranky kids. They're at least 'trying' to be good for me. My guess is when DCP's come to get their kids, they'll unleash the days worth of fury on them. No fun all the way around
momma2girls 01:51 PM 02-23-2012
I have excessive whining, not sleeping, crying, green nasal drainage, fevers, excessive coughing, etc. you will be called
bice99 08:20 AM 02-24-2012
The Health Department regulations prohibit admittance of any child into a family childcare home when the child exhibits any of the following symptoms within 24 hours of attending childcare:

• Fever of 100.0 degrees or higher
• Conjunctivitis (pink eye) (note from doctor to return)
• Flu
• Rash (note from doctor to return)
• Severe cough
• Rapid or labored breathing
• Severe cold
• Moderate or severe nasal discharge that requires constant wiping
• Runny nose with colored discharge (anything other than clear)
• Yellowish skin or eyes
• Head lice
• Vomiting
• Diarrhea
• Contagious illness of any sort (chicken pox, strep, yeast infection, etc)

If your child is too tired/ill/grumpy to participate in our normal routine (including outdoor play/walks), needs medicine to function, needs constant attention or cries for an extended time, he/she needs to be home with you. This is best for your child and the other children in care. A child needs Mommy or Daddy when he/she doesn’t feel well.

I will determine if a child may attend ____ Childcare. There may be times when a doctor has written a note and the child still will not be admitted to ensure the well being of the rest of the children. Younger children cannot cover their cough/sneeze and often “mouth” everything. They need to be home rather than sharing their germs with everyone. Please do not bring a sick child. You will be asked to take your child home upon arrival.

If your child becomes sick during the day, you will be notified and required to pick him/her up immediately (within 30 minutes of notification. Standard late fees will apply). He/she will need to stay home the following day as well.

If a family member is home sick with a contagious disease, all children must stay home as well since they will be contagious before they show any symptoms.

Your child may return to ____ Childcare 24 hours after symptoms are completely gone without medicine of any type and 24 hours on antibiotics (if necessary)

Ex: If your child was vomiting on Monday morning, keep him/her home on Tuesday as well.
Reply Up