Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Taking Teachers' Children Only - How Do You Charge, School Closures, Summers?
Registered but logged out 08:24 AM 03-06-2012
I'm thinking about possibly changing my program to geer it to teachers' children only starting in the Fall.

My own kids are in school and I'd love to enjoy the holidays/summers off with them.

For those that cater to teachers only how do you structure your rates? Are you paid for holidays/vacations? How do you handle any payments in the summers?

Do you operate strictly on the school schedule and close on every day the schools are closed?

I just think if I did this I would always remain in ratio because in my state your own children always count toward your numbers regardless of age so if I catered to teachers only then I could watch my max and not worry about my own children putting me over ratio when school was out or if they were sick, etc.

I know this would be a drastic decision but I already have 2 teachers (4 kids total) so I would just need one more teacher family to be full for the Fall.

Any advice from those who care for teachers' children only would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Country Kids 08:32 AM 03-06-2012
I loved having teachers children but only from my own school district. The other districts around me work different hours and have different days off then mine.

I didn't charge for days off from school as I wasn't need and was my choice to follow the school schedule to benefit my own family. It wasn't a profit by any means but it was worth it for my family at the time. I've contemplated doing it again but at the moment we need my income more then ever so its not really in the cards for the time being.

So if it is something you can do financially go for it and enjoy it!
DBug 09:27 AM 03-06-2012
Fascinating idea! Thanks for posting! I hadn't even thought about the possibility of doing this, but it would work quite well for my family.

What do you do for Professional Development days? Do the dck's still come on those days? And what do you do for the summer? Do you charge a holding fee to make sure families come back in the fall?
Country Kids 09:35 AM 03-06-2012
Originally Posted by DBug:
Fascinating idea! Thanks for posting! I hadn't even thought about the possibility of doing this, but it would work quite well for my family.

What do you do for Professional Development days? Do the dck's still come on those days? And what do you do for the summer? Do you charge a holding fee to make sure families come back in the fall?
If my parents had to work I was open and they were charged. I didn't charge anything for the summer as I wanted to be quarented the time off and since I was running strictly school schedule I didn't see it being fair to charge them anything to be closed.

It was wonderful while it worked!
bunnyslippers 10:20 AM 03-06-2012
I run a teacher's only daycare.
Here is a quick breakdown of policies:
* No charge for holidays, school vacations, summers or holidays
* If school is in session, I am open. If teachers are expected at work, I am open. I charge regardless of attendance each of these days.
* I am only open from 7:30-4:00 each day, and hours are contracted with each family depending on the school schedule
* I do not charge for the first 5 snow days per year (after 5, I charge regular rate)
* If there is a delayed opening due to weather, I am also a delayed opening
* I take up to 5 paid personal or sick days per year.
* Teachers get two free staff meetings after school per month, not any later than 4:30. If later, other arrangements must be made.
* I charge $55 per day, $60 per day if under 12 months
* No charge for summers, but a one time initial fee of $100 to hold spot. In subsequent years, no fee is required. Sort of a good faith deposit.

I love my teacher schedule, and my teacher families! This model works really well here, and I have a waiting list. It is so worth it to get those vacations, random snow days, and holidays. I really don't think I could do it otherwise.
Unregistered 10:39 AM 03-06-2012
Originally Posted by bunnyslippers:
* If school is in session, I am open. If teachers are expected at work, I am open. I charge regardless of attendance each of these days.
* I am only open from 7:30-4:00 each day, and hours are contracted with each family depending on the school schedule
* I do not charge for the first 5 snow days per year (after 5, I charge regular rate)
* Teachers get two free staff meetings after school per month, not any later than 4:30. If later, other arrangements must be made.
* No charge for summers, but a one time initial fee of $100 to hold spot. In subsequent years, no fee is required. Sort of a good faith deposit.

I love my teacher schedule, and my teacher families! This model works really well here, and I have a waiting list. It is so worth it to get those vacations, random snow days, and holidays. I really don't think I could do it otherwise.
Are all of your teachers working for the same district? The problem I may run into is that I'm in an area with 4 different school districts/schedules within 10mins of each other.

I would love to do this but want it to be as simple as it can possibly be. I was thinking of maybe figuring the number of school weeks, subtracting the weeks of spring break and Christmas, and charging a flat weekly rate (excluding the summer) through the school year. Charging a holding fee for the summer and just being closed on all school holidays, vacations, snow days, etc. but with the flat rate getting paid the same each week. So essentially they wouldn't be charged for spring break, Christmas or summer break but would pay for other random holidays throughout the year.
lil angels 10:42 AM 03-06-2012
I have thought about doing this. But every time I get an opening I get a call and fill it I am so not patient and wait for that perfect call. I have started to try and only fill with people that have backup for Fridays at least during the summer so we can head to the cabin on the weekend.
SunflowerMama 11:06 AM 03-06-2012

So with all the random holidays and closures do you figure payments weekly using your day rate with some variation in amounts each week or do you figure out a weekly rate for the year, taking into account all the yearly closures, and charge that from September - May? Your policies look great I just know I would get so confused about who pays what each week with all the random days off schools around here get.
saved4always 11:29 AM 03-06-2012
I have watched teachers' children only for the last few years. I have loved having off when there is no school so I can concentrate on my children. I do not charge for holidays or vacations or summers since I like having a teacher schedule when my kids are off. I did not used to charge for snow days but I started to this year since those are last minute and cannot be planned for financially. I do not charge for the first 3 sick days but charge 1/2 a day after that. I do not charge the parents if I close for sickness.

I have not had any families say that they were coming back after summer and then not following through. I did have one family decide to move to a less expensive provider the following school year but they let me know that in April so I had months to find another family.

I love that all the kids are picked up by 4 p.m. every day which is just a little after my last child is home from school. I have been able to make a little extra money for my family without it taking me away from my own kids and their activities. I highly recommend it as long as you can swing it financially.
bunnyslippers 11:37 AM 03-06-2012
Good Questions!

I live in a regional school district that borders a small city, and luckily both systems follow the same schedule. In my policies, I state that I follow those two districts. If teachers from other districts come, it is up to them to find alternative care on the days I am closed (but I still require payment - if I am open, payment is required).

I charge my rates daily. So, if there is a week with a monday holiday, parents only pay for 4 days that week. If there is a snow day, they subtract one day from the following week. It is actually a lot simpler than it seems. I only accept full-time, full-week families, so it is pretty much the same rate for everyone each week.

I think the familiesl love that when vacations roll around, they don't have to pay me at all. I charge more than most in my area, and just plan ahead for vacations and summers. I also only pay my assistant when I am open - she is a college student and is fine with that method. If you live in an area that can support it, try the model. It's great!

I do take parents who are not teachers - with the understanding of my schedule up front. Parents are also responsible for keeping track of what they owe me, and I have never had a question about payment. Of course, I know what they all need to give me each week and keep a close eye on it, but I have NEVER had an issue - even when I closed for 4 days when my baby was sick. They all still paid, no questions asked.
SunflowerMama 11:46 AM 03-06-2012
Good Questions!

I live in a regional school district that borders a small city, and luckily both systems follow the same schedule. In my policies, I state that I follow those two districts. If teachers from other districts come, it is up to them to find alternative care on the days I am closed (but I still require payment - if I am open, payment is required).

I charge my rates daily. So, if there is a week with a monday holiday, parents only pay for 4 days that week. If there is a snow day, they subtract one day from the following week. It is actually a lot simpler than it seems. I only accept full-time, full-week families, so it is pretty much the same rate for everyone each week.

I think the familiesl love that when vacations roll around, they don't have to pay me at all. I charge more than most in my area, and just plan ahead for vacations and summers. I also only pay my assistant when I am open - she is a college student and is fine with that method. If you live in an area that can support it, try the model. It's great!

I do take parents who are not teachers - with the understanding of my schedule up front. Parents are also responsible for keeping track of what they owe me, and I have never had a question about payment. Of course, I know what they all need to give me each week and keep a close eye on it, but I have NEVER had an issue - even when I closed for 4 days when my baby was sick. They all still paid, no questions asked.
So for the parents who are not teachers you just tell them that you follow xyz's school calendar and are closed when they are, including summers, and that they need to pick up by 4p each day? What do they do in the summer with their kids?
bunnyslippers 11:52 AM 03-06-2012
Originally Posted by SunflowerMama:
So for the parents who are not teachers you just tell them that you follow xyz's school calendar and are closed when they are, including summers, and that they need to pick up by 4p each day? What do they do in the summer with their kids?
I am not sure, and I never worry about it . If they choose my program, they work around my schedule. It works, and I am very clear about it. I give out my calendar and my days off at the start of the year, and it is up to them to arrange for the time I am closed.
AfterSchoolMom 02:23 PM 03-06-2012
I LOVE teacher's kids, and have worked on the school schedule for a couple of years now. I don't charge for school breaks or summer vacation - I budget for the summer and save a predetermined amount weekly to cover that time. They pay for their sick days but not mine.

The only thing I do differently from everyone else is stay open a bit later - but I think next year I'm definitely going to cut back a bit.
momma2girls 01:03 PM 03-08-2012
I have all teacher's children now, and have for 3 yrs. now. I have 2 families that always came at the same exact time, if school was delayed, due to bad weather, etc. I put out a notice, to come when you will be leaving for school, not 2 hrs. prior, so we have time to clear driveway and sidewalk, etc.. Then one of the families told me she needed to go into school regardless of the weather every 2 hr. delay. I don't know about that, but there is nothing I can say on that end. One day there was a 2 hr. delay, and I know she was at home, because they ended up cancelling, and her husband showed up with the children anyways. I told him, they just cancelled school so the mom will not have to work today at all. He seems very upset with me, as he took off with his child. Then another time, the dad came in with the child, on a 2 hr. delay, and they ended up cancelling it, an hr. after the little girl was here. I called the mom and she said well as long as you already have her, you can just keep her all day---- UGGHHHHH!!!!
I give them all huge breaks during the yr. 1/2 off WInter and Spring breaks, and only charge one week fee to hold the spot during the Summer.
I may be thinking about this for next yr. though.
bice99 02:16 PM 03-08-2012
I was a teacher for 11 years. I love working with my teacher families. I love having a lighter schedule in the summer. But this is a job and I don't have only teachers. All of my families are PT, so that makes a difference, too. I charge weekly, 50 weeks of the year, but split into 12 equal payments. So weekly rate times 50 weeks, divided by 12 months. I am closed when the teachers aren't working, except the summer. So I am paid for one week at Christmas and all stat holidays. This is how my non-teacher families pay.

My teachers follow the same pay schedule (makes my life easier), but in April I send out paperwork for summer. A contract with 3 choices - kids keep coming the same schedule as normal, hold spot over the summer, or don't hold spot and no promise there will be a spot come fall. Contracts must be returned by May 1st.

So my summer hold families pay half rate for the whole summer, non-refundable, all due by June 15th. It doesn't matter that I take 2 weeks off during the summer. I used to not charge for that time, b/c I don't charge my non-teacher families. I changed it last year because they are paying to hold a future spot. I am losing out on income by holding the spot, especially for infants. Then as a perk - I allow their child to attend daycare 1/5 of normals days/hours. I get to pick the day and the hours based on the other kids I watch. So I put as many kids as possible on the same day. Then the rest of my week is lighter. I tell the parents this is a gift to them - their fees are not paying for it. But it's a gift for me, too. The kids still remember all of my rules when the school year starts up again. No one has melt downs the first week b/c they have seen me once a week all summer.

My families get one vacation week at half rate every 6 months, but I changed it so parents cannot use that during my paid Christmas week or during summer if they are spot holding.

ALL of my teacher families return.
momma2girls 03:29 PM 03-08-2012
Originally Posted by bice99:
I was a teacher for 11 years. I love working with my teacher families. I love having a lighter schedule in the summer. But this is a job and I don't have only teachers. All of my families are PT, so that makes a difference, too. I charge weekly, 50 weeks of the year, but split into 12 equal payments. So weekly rate times 50 weeks, divided by 12 months. I am closed when the teachers aren't working, except the summer. So I am paid for one week at Christmas and all stat holidays. This is how my non-teacher families pay.

My teachers follow the same pay schedule (makes my life easier), but in April I send out paperwork for summer. A contract with 3 choices - kids keep coming the same schedule as normal, hold spot over the summer, or don't hold spot and no promise there will be a spot come fall. Contracts must be returned by May 1st.

So my summer hold families pay half rate for the whole summer, non-refundable, all due by June 15th. It doesn't matter that I take 2 weeks off during the summer. I used to not charge for that time, b/c I don't charge my non-teacher families. I changed it last year because they are paying to hold a future spot. I am losing out on income by holding the spot, especially for infants. Then as a perk - I allow their child to attend daycare 1/5 of normals days/hours. I get to pick the day and the hours based on the other kids I watch. So I put as many kids as possible on the same day. Then the rest of my week is lighter. I tell the parents this is a gift to them - their fees are not paying for it. But it's a gift for me, too. The kids still remember all of my rules when the school year starts up again. No one has melt downs the first week b/c they have seen me once a week all summer.

My families get one vacation week at half rate every 6 months, but I changed it so parents cannot use that during my paid Christmas week or during summer if they are spot holding.

ALL of my teacher families return.
How is your contract worded when you are off school, I am off?
bunnyslippers 04:49 PM 03-08-2012
Originally Posted by momma2girls:
How is your contract worded when you are off school, I am off?
If teachers are expected to report to work, I am open and will expect payment for that day. When teachers are not expected to be in school, I am not open.

This includes delayed openings, snow days, and the half day before Thanksgiving break.
momma2girls 07:24 PM 03-08-2012
If teachers are expected to report to work, I am open and will expect payment for that day. When teachers are not expected to be in school, I am not open.

This includes delayed openings, snow days, and the half day before Thanksgiving break.
How do you have this worded in your contract?
My one family always says she still has to work, even though the school is off.
bice99 07:39 PM 03-08-2012
I just list all of the school holidays as closed days in my handbook. I am closed with pay for all families on these days. Tomorrow is a teacher work day, so I am open because I know teachers have to report. I run my contracts July 1st to June 30th. I go to the district website and get all of the closed dates from there. I'll post my page.
bice99 07:40 PM 03-08-2012
ABCXYZ Childcare will be closed on the following days

Fourth of July – July 4th, 2011
Labor Day – September 5th, 2011
First day of school for GBSD – September 6th, 2011
State Inservice – October 14th, 2011
Veteran’s Day - November 11th, 2011
Thanksgiving Break – November 23rd=25th, 2011
Christmas Break – December 19th, 2011 – January 2nd, 2012
MLK, Jr. Day – January 16th, 2012
Presidents’ Day – February 20th, 2012
Spring Break – March 23rd –April 2nd, 2012
Memorial Day Weekend – May 25th and 28th, 2012
Last day of school for GBSD – June 14th, 2012

*Monthly tuition remains the same regardless of the days listed above. It is based on yearly tuition. The yearly tuition includes the paid holidays and unpaid breaks listed above. That total is divided into 12 equal payments. If you need care on any of these days, let me know and I will see if it is possible. Additional fees will apply.

*Provider may take an additional 10 days of unpaid vacation during the year (usually in the summer). These days are not included in the yearly tuition. Families will receive credit for these days the month following use. Families who are spot holding over the summer will not be credited for these days as they are paying to hold a spot, not to attend. As much advance notice as possible will be given.

*Provider may take up to 5 paid days for closure due to illness, emergency, trainings, etc. As much advance notice as possible will be given. An additional 3 paid days for bereavement of a family member will be allowed. Any closures beyond these days will be unpaid and credited the month following.

*After 6 months of care, families will start earning vacation weeks. For each 6 months of continuous care, one week of vacation at half rate may be taken. It must be used before your current contract ends each June 30th. These must be taken as calendar weeks and may not be taken during my listed closed days or spot holding times (maternity leaves, summer vacation for teachers, etc). Any additional vacation time per year requires full payment of fees. Many families choose to take their vacation during provider’s vacation time. 3 unpaid non-attendance days will be given for bereavement of a family member.

Snow Days: Due to its elevation, ABCXYZ Childcare will follow the Gresham-Barlow School District for late start or school closure. These are paid days.
Tags:rate - structure, teacher's children
Reply Up