Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Constipated Infant
sharlan 10:27 AM 04-04-2012
My infant (4 mos) hasn't pooped in about 40 hours. I've tried giving her warm water, but can't remember what else to try. I remember giving mine a few drops of Karo syrup, but I don't think that's acceptable now.

Any suggestions?
MrsB 10:30 AM 04-04-2012
Breastfed or Formula?
MissK 10:33 AM 04-04-2012
Gerber's Prune/Apple juice has worked wonders for us. I know a lot of people don't even blink an eye at juice until the baby is 6 months old, but you're using it to relieve constipation not as an every day thing. Up to you, but we've had nothing but good luck with it
jojosmommy 10:38 AM 04-04-2012
Breastfed? Leave it alone. Bf has less waste thus less need to go. My own 5month old has gone upwards of 5days without going to with no adverse affects.

If she is formula fed and you really need her to go you can try taking her temp rectally. If she has to go that will occasionally encourage her to push and go. You can also massage belly in a half moon shape starting at the center near belly button and going clockwise.
sharlan 10:38 AM 04-04-2012
Originally Posted by MrsB:
Breastfed or Formula?
Both. Mom nurses at noon and at night. I give 3 4oz bottles of formula a day.
sharlan 10:40 AM 04-04-2012
She's been a bit on the gassy side this morning.

She's been pretty happy, except for when passing gas.
ILMommy 10:40 AM 04-04-2012
I gave both my daughters 1/2 a pediatric glycerin suppository whenever that happened. Works almost instantly, and you have a whole new, happy baby! I work in a pharmacy inside a family practice clinic, and that's what my pharmacists and physicians recommend for the occasional problem.
Heidi 10:42 AM 04-04-2012
I don't think you should be giving her anything (other than perhaps the juice, if ok with mom). I would certainly not take her temp or give any medication. That would fall into parental responsibility.

You can certainly suggest things to her parents, but I would not do anything, especially if she is not crying inconsolably.
countrymom 10:47 AM 04-04-2012
I wouldn't worry about it. If she is crying and miserable then I would call mom, but if she is content then don't worry. Acually you can pray that she doesn't go on your shift because it will be a huge blowout.
dEHmom 11:15 AM 04-04-2012
I am not recommending this, as I'm sure it is against all rules nowadays but when my kids were backed up (which they constantly were due to formula), I gave them a little bit of luke warm water and a dash of sugar. Or i'd put gripe water into the water, and let them drink that. Always got stuff moving. Apple juice is also a great clearout tool.
cheerfuldom 11:21 AM 04-04-2012
I wouldnt do anything without the moms knowledge but if she was okay to try it, you can add some karo syrup to the bottles.
MrsB 11:22 AM 04-04-2012
Let mom worry about it. If she is worried, have her take her to the doctor. If she is in too much discomfort because of it, put it on mom to remedy the situation. That would fall under the catergory of a medical issue that allows too much time from me. If baby is too fussy to be cooperative with the daycare activities they need to go home. If she seems to be fine, I wouldnt worry about it. For my kids that seem a little stopped up, usually a little extra wiping on the anus during diaper changes can get their sphincter muscles working and will result in a BM or a little belly rub. Otherwise parents and dr need to figure out the right plan of attack.
sharlan 11:41 AM 04-04-2012
The warm water worked.
MissK 01:52 PM 04-04-2012
Originally Posted by sharlan:
The warm water worked.
yay Hope you have a super happy baby!
sharlan 01:54 PM 04-04-2012
She's very happy right now, and so am I. She took a big poop, Momma came and nursed, now she's sleeping like an angel.
MNMum 08:13 PM 04-04-2012
I'm a NICU RN, so I am used to dealing with relieving constipation, with even the tiniest of infants. With that said, I would not give a suppository or use a thermometer without a doctors signature for any of my daycare kids. This really is a medical problem, not something my current daycare license covers. Whenever my daycare kids have constipation, I will recommend to the parents that they try a little pear juice. We use it regularly in the NICU for our formula fed babies.
Tags:constipation, infant
Reply Up