Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Areas Need More Licensed Group Daycare Centers?
BusinessMom 04:29 PM 08-26-2013
Hi,

I want to open a daycare center and I've found a lot of good information about licensing and the steps it takes to do this and so on, but one thing I can't determine is what areas actually need more daycare centers. If my daycare center is to be successful I have to lease a building in an area that actually needs a new daycare center rather than leasing a building in an area where there are plenty of facilities already. Any suggestions on what areas could use a new daycare center? In any state. Thank you.
Heidi 04:37 PM 08-26-2013
I think you're better off choosing a couple locations, and then calling the local resource and referral agency in that area and asking for stats.

If you're looking to get into the daycare business as a money-making business venture, you might be better off with say, a food-court restaurant. Daycare is not the business to get into to make the big bucks...
Maria2013 06:04 PM 08-26-2013
Originally Posted by Heidi:
Daycare is not the business to get into to make the big bucks...
I agree, one can make good money but expenses are many and take away a large amount
heyhun77 07:22 PM 08-26-2013
If you were able to find a place to live yourself in the Williston, ND area you would have a full daycare center in a heartbeat. They have a giant childcare shortage there. At one point there were, and maybe still are, incentives for opening childcare centers in that part of the state. The toughest part is finding housing for yourself and keeping good staff members. You could find information at ndchildcare.org and if nothing else contact someone in their Western North Dakota office.
BusinessMom 02:18 AM 08-27-2013
Thanks for all the replies so far and thanks a lot for suggesting ND. I hope I get even more helpful responses.

Some daycare center's rates are quite high. May I ask what kind of expenses will deplete a large amount of my earnings? And what percent of my earnings can I expect to keep?
Laurel 04:50 AM 08-27-2013
Not sure but I can tell you one that doesn't. You can take Southeast Florida off your list.

Laurel
Maria2013 06:26 AM 08-27-2013
Originally Posted by BusinessMom:
Thanks for all the replies so far and thanks a lot for suggesting ND. I hope I get even more helpful responses.

Some daycare center's rates are quite high. May I ask what kind of expenses will deplete a large amount of my earnings? And what percent of my earnings can I expect to keep?
I'm speaking in my own " in home daycare" experience...I do a lot for the kids in my care and it is expensive between basic supply (cleaning, food, etc) curriculum supply (ink, arts suppl. books etc.) and equipment update (replacement of warn out toys, new stimulating activities etc.)

I assumed a center makes more but also has larger expenses and employment to cover, perhaps I'm wrong

good luck to you
BusinessMom 10:13 PM 08-27-2013
Thanks for the luck.
Sugar Magnolia 03:18 AM 08-28-2013
Originally Posted by Laurel:
Not sure but I can tell you one that doesn't. You can take Southeast Florida off your list.

Laurel
And Southwest Florida too.

OP, I opened a center, and it is not easy. I bought the real estate though, leasing was way to expensive. The list of expenses is long. Staff, insurance, security alarm monitoring, fire alarm inspections and monitoring, maintenance, taxes, utilities, credit card processing, omg......it's a long list.

I opened a small center, that I run with my husband and one staffer. I do ok, but competition is stiff. Location, location and location are most important, in that order.
Laurel 04:24 AM 08-28-2013
Originally Posted by Sugar Magnolia:
And Southwest Florida too.

OP, I opened a center, and it is not easy. I bought the real estate though, leasing was way to expensive. The list of expenses is long. Staff, insurance, security alarm monitoring, fire alarm inspections and monitoring, maintenance, taxes, utilities, credit card processing, omg......it's a long list.

I opened a small center, that I run with my husband and one staffer. I do ok, but competition is stiff. Location, location and location are most important, in that order.
My friend who now does it in her home used to own two centers at one time. Her advice was you either need to own a building or find room in a church type place. She said otherwise your rent will increase each year but your capacity will not expand. You only have so many you can have in a building. I think church sites either do it for free (to protect their tax exempt status) or is way lower than commercial sites. I used to work in a preschool that was connected to a Catholic mission but I was never involved in the business end of it. The director was a very cheap person (but nice) so I'm sure she got a deal. She was always looking for a deal.

Laurel
Tags:starting a daycare
Reply Up