Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Late Do You Let Children Sleep?
DaycareMom 01:21 PM 01-29-2014
So I only had one dck today - DCB4.We had kind of a laid back day and I didn't put him down for a nap until 1:30 p.m.
I checked on him at 3:45 p.m. and he was still sleeping, so I let him be and was planning to wake him up by 4:00 p.m. as that is the latest I will allow them to sleep.
Well, DCD showed up at 3:59 p.m., so when he walked in I was just getting DCB up.
DCD didn't say anything, but seemed miffed.
Our normal nap is from 1:00-3/3:30 p.m. so it was really only off by about 1/2 hour. What do you think? How late do you allow kids to sleep?
sharlan 01:30 PM 01-29-2014
I start waking up between 3:30 and 3:45. I rarely let the kids sleep later than that.

Infants, I never wake up.
daycare 01:45 PM 01-29-2014
I let them sleep until they wake up on their own. That means if we are all having a disco party and a child can sleep through it, then they must be really tired. I have had a few that turn into monster devil children when I wake them up, so instead of fighting them and hearing them tantrum I leave them be.

Parents know this before they start. If they don't want their kid sleeping here all day, then put them to bed with a routine at a decent time.

Just yesterday I had a kid sleep though a very loud music class of boom-chick-a SCREAM, he slept until his mom came at 445pm. She said, well since dad let him stay up until 1030pm, last night, guess who's staying up with him again tonight.

She could not believe her billy was still knocked out so hard with all the commotion going on.
DaisyMamma 02:09 PM 01-29-2014
Until they wake up!
spud912 02:46 PM 01-29-2014
My nap time is 1-3/3:30ish but sometimes I put them down a little late . I let them sleep until they wake up. Most of my kids sleep until 3:45, except my youngest who sleeps until I wake her up at 4:30 . I think she doesn't sleep well at home at all!
Blackcat31 03:10 PM 01-29-2014
I will rouse all napping kids who didn't wake naturally by at least 3:00-3:30.

I RARELY let them sleep beyond that time.

Unless it's Friday
daycarediva 03:43 PM 01-29-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

Unless it's Friday
this. Including the Friday.
thetoddlerwhisper 04:55 PM 01-29-2014
nap is technically 1145-200 but most of the kids seem to nap until 230. asd usually naps until 3. if they were on a schedule at home im sure they wouldnt
TwinKristi 05:01 PM 01-29-2014
I don't usually have a problem with anyone but my own son who has slept til 4:15 at times. But now he has to wake up to avoid being up all night!
Play Care 05:24 PM 01-29-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

Unless it's Friday
This.
Sunshine74 06:23 PM 01-29-2014
Originally Posted by athacker:
nap is technically 1145-200 but most of the kids seem to nap until 230. asd usually naps until 3. if they were on a schedule at home im sure they wouldnt
That is our nap time too- we go to bed after lunch and are supposed to get up at 2. If they are still sleeping by 2:20/2:30, I start opening curtains, changing to more upbeat music, and eventually turning on lights. Unless our director is being difficult (like today) then she just comes back and turns the lights on and makes us wake them up.
Annalee 06:28 PM 01-29-2014
Originally Posted by athacker:
We lay down by 11:30....most kids are asleep by 12 and we get them up by 2 unless it is Friday like BC said.
Annalee 06:33 PM 01-29-2014
Originally Posted by Sunshine74:
Unless our director is being difficult (like today) then she just comes back and turns the lights on and makes us wake them up.
I totally can relate to this....worked in a center 3 longgggg years till I started my own Home Child Care.... Director-Issues like these happened very often. One day the director come in ripping the children's "free expression" artwork off the wall and told me she wanted me to do something for parents to see and like....I said "sure will, but I will do it from my home".....twenty plus years later, still doing home child care.
Sunshine74 08:17 PM 01-29-2014
Originally Posted by dapb45:
I totally can relate to this....worked in a center 3 longgggg years till I started my own Home Child Care.... Director-Issues like these happened very often. One day the director come in ripping the children's "free expression" artwork off the wall and told me she wanted me to do something for parents to see and like....I said "sure will, but I will do it from my home".....twenty plus years later, still doing home child care.
Wow. Yeah, she came in and turned the lights on and said, "The regulations say that the kids can't be on their cots when they are awake" and I said, "Ok, but they are sleeping, so they can be on their cots."
Scout 04:20 AM 01-30-2014
My nap is generally 1-3:30ish. Dcb(18 mos) and ds will often sleep until after 3:30. I have no issues with getting DS to bed at night but, sometimes he is up at 9:30 but, he sleeps with me and will nkt fall asleep without me cuddling him. That is why he is up later, I am nkt ready to lay down earlier becaise I will fall asleep! I have nwver had parents complain of the later nap. My 18 mo takes a 90 min am nap as well, if he doesnt he does nkt sleep well for afternoon nap.
coolconfidentme 04:25 AM 01-30-2014
I had a surprise inspection during nap time. When it was time to get the kiddos up, she told me to tell them once & let them wake up on their own. She explained if they can sleep though other kids playing, they aren't getting enough sleep at home so let them be. She also said to tell the parent "my state consultant said not to wake them."
Meyou 04:34 AM 01-30-2014
I normally start turning lights on and opening curtains around 3:30 if I still have sleepers. We can't get outside in the afternoon if they sleep longer than that. My naptime is 12:30-3pm. If a parent arrives and their child is still sleep because of a late start to nap I just mention that to them.
Soccermom 05:47 AM 01-30-2014
I let them sleep as long as they like.
I have a DCB that will sometimes sleep until 4pm or 4h30.
I don't wake them up unless we have a really special afternoon activity planned. I hate for them to miss out.
I assume if they are sleeping a long time it is because they are very tired, growing or coming down with something.
Kcole1075 07:38 AM 01-30-2014
Yesterday we layed down for nap layed down for nap late (1:30)and my kids didnt fall asleep until close to 2 and when parents were coming wt pick up at 4 and 4:30 I explained it was a late lay down day.

I usually dont wake anyone up ever and my parents know this but I fid wake up a kid yesterday because it was getting close to 5. I had already turned on the lights other kods were playing and he was just sleeping away.
melilley 11:23 AM 01-30-2014
I let them sleep until they wake up. Our nap time is 12:30/1 until 2:30/3:30. The kids are usually up by 3:30, rarely do they sleep any longer.
mema 11:36 AM 01-30-2014
Our nap is usually 1215ish until 230. If they aren't up by 315, I usually wake them so we can get snack and hopefully get some outside time in.
Jack Sprat 11:48 AM 01-30-2014
I usually let them sleep till they wake up on their own. Only exceptions are nice days (especially in winter), one parent arrives right after school lets out so I do sometimes wake dcb up. The baby I wake up after 3 hours.
Tags:nap length, wake up children
Reply Up