Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>When Is It Too Old
countrymom 07:17 AM 04-07-2014
for a child to be playing a video game while grocery shopping. My own kids are not allowed these devices (and we own lots of them) in stores or restaurants. But this weekend I saw an 11 yr old walking around and not paying attention playing his game. Like really, one hour isn't going to kill him.
Jack Sprat 07:24 AM 04-07-2014
Birth!
Evansmom 07:26 AM 04-07-2014
I don't know about age limits but I don't allow any of my kids to walk around with any device no matter their age. That's dangerous IMO. Plus yeah, I agree with OP, they can engage in real life for an hour of shopping. But I'm a real strict mom when it comes to screens. I also purposefully don't have any devices or TV in our van. When we go somewhere my kids just sit in the car and look out the window. Like normal people. Even on road trips. And we only allow 2 hrs collective screen time per day except Sundays which is called No Screens Sunday. So I guess I'm just mean that way. lol!
Blackcat31 08:41 AM 04-07-2014
When it becomes socially unacceptable for adults to stop texting/talking or using their cell phones WHILE shopping, driving, eating, pumping gas, etc...
SilverSabre25 08:42 AM 04-07-2014
Yeah....I am starting to barely have to "shop" as my six year old knows what we get and I can tell her what to get from which shelf, etc. I just push the cart and facilitate. She loves to help. My two year old will be helping her help here as soon as he stops just running off.
Laurel 10:01 AM 04-07-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
When it becomes socially unacceptable for adults to stop texting/talking or using their cell phones WHILE shopping, driving, eating, pumping gas, etc...

Exactly! It is modeled by the parents...

Laurel
preschoolteacher 11:27 AM 04-07-2014
When is it TOO YOUNG? I hate seeing little kids on their devices all the time. Big kids too. And I hate seeing adults on theirs, too, while I'm at it.
Jack Sprat 11:33 AM 04-07-2014
Originally Posted by preschoolteacher:
When is it TOO YOUNG? I hate seeing little kids on their devices all the time. Big kids too. And I hate seeing adults on theirs, too, while I'm at it.
Me too!
Jack Sprat 11:35 AM 04-07-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I have tried to do those things while doing the above...and failed. So now the cell stays tucked in my bag. If it rings I ignore it or give it to DH or DD.
Heidi 12:53 PM 04-07-2014
Originally Posted by Jack Sprat:
I have tried to do those things while doing the above...and failed. So now the cell stays tucked in my bag. If it rings I ignore it or give it to DH or DD.
Not to hijack...but I'm getting sick of being always available!

Seriously, I love my sister. But, if she calls my cell phone and I don't answer, she immediately calls my house phone. I might be in the shower, on the toilet, or watching a movie. I might be in the grocery store, trying to remember what I need. Maybe, just MAYBE, I don't WANT to talk right now!
Jack Sprat 01:05 PM 04-07-2014
Originally Posted by Heidi:
Not to hijack...but I'm getting sick of being always available!Seriously, I love my sister. But, if she calls my cell phone and I don't answer, she immediately calls my house phone. I might be in the shower, on the toilet, or watching a movie. I might be in the grocery store, trying to remember what I need. Maybe, just MAYBE, I don't WANT to talk right now!

Blackcat31 02:09 PM 04-07-2014
Originally Posted by Heidi:
Not to hijack...but I'm getting sick of being always available!

Seriously, I love my sister. But, if she calls my cell phone and I don't answer, she immediately calls my house phone. I might be in the shower, on the toilet, or watching a movie. I might be in the grocery store, trying to remember what I need. Maybe, just MAYBE, I don't WANT to talk right now!

My cell voicemail message says...... well, I am sure you've heard it yourself.

It says something like "Hi you've reached (me). I probably can't hear my phone right now; well...in all honesty, I probably can't find it but then again there is a small chance I might be ignoring you. But either way, just leave me a message and I'll get back to you as soon as I can."
Reply Up