Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Scissors
sharlan 03:36 PM 02-09-2016
At what age do you allow the kids to use safety scissors?

What have you found works the best in teaching them proper holding?
Unregistered 04:35 PM 02-09-2016
I'll let them experiment first for quite awhile, then tell them thumbs up, talk about the alligator chomping up and down, positioning their hand correctly and my hand over theirs. I let three's use scissors. Some of my 2's have easily used scissors too. I also have playdoh scissors in my playdoh supplies. They can use them anyway they want to. 2 and up.

We practice snipping, we do things to help strengthen hands....playdoh, using paper punches, tearing paper, squeeze toys when we are outside using the water table, clipping clothes pin to the edge of a container, as well as everyday small motor/eye-hand play, beading large beads, puzzles, etc.

Make sure to have left-handed scissors for true lefties.
TXhomedaycare 08:25 PM 02-09-2016
I start scissors at 3 yo. They can use play doh scissors as early as they want. I try to test the maturity of the child by giving them the opportunity and if the throw or play or try and cut a non approved item they are taken away and I usually wait a while before giving them another chance.
daycare 09:38 PM 02-09-2016
When a child is fully potty trained.

I need 100% supervision with the scissors. So if you need to go to the bathroom you need to be able to 100% self sufficient in the bathroom without my assistance. I can't leave the area of the scissors, especially if there are other children still at the table with scissors.

And of course I need to make certain that the child is still within sound when using the bathroom.

So I don't go by age.
TwinMama 05:19 AM 02-10-2016
I usually start it at age 3.
Cat Herder 05:40 AM 02-10-2016
I start mine at 12-15 months, offering them with play dough, supervised.

Some figure them out quick, some use them to carve or poke holes, others drop them on the floor. I let them decide which. I don't like to hold kids back based on age. Sometimes they will surprise you.

* They are very dull, blunted, having been used for over 15 years. *
Ariana 09:52 AM 02-10-2016
I use safety scissors at 2.5 and regular scissors at 3 yrs. I remind them to keep their "thumbs up" by drawing a little smiley face on their thumbs with pen or marker. Then I remind them to make sure the face is smiling up at them.
nothingwithoutjoy 10:09 AM 02-10-2016
Whenever they are interested. Usually around 14-15 months. At that age, if they want to use them, they sit on my lap and I hold the paper. By 2, free range. I don't use safety scissors. I find them more dangerous, because they are dull and therefore hard to use and frustrating, and therefore used unsafely. Instead, I teach that scissors are dangerous and must be used with great care. We use fiskars.
KSDC 08:05 PM 02-10-2016
Originally Posted by nothingwithoutjoy:
Whenever they are interested. Usually around 14-15 months. At that age, if they want to use them, they sit on my lap and I hold the paper. By 2, free range. I don't use safety scissors. I find them more dangerous, because they are dull and therefore hard to use and frustrating, and therefore used unsafely. Instead, I teach that scissors are dangerous and must be used with great care. We use fiskars.

I could have written this post!
ColorfulSunburst 04:58 AM 02-11-2016

same here. Instead paper we cut play dough.
Thriftylady 05:04 AM 02-11-2016
STOP! I have never heard of playdoh scissors. Are they special or are they really just regular scissors? I gotta go look them up now. You guys are like information overload sometimes lol.
Cat Herder 07:52 AM 02-11-2016
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
STOP! I have never heard of playdoh scissors. Are they special or are they really just regular scissors? I gotta go look them up now. You guys are like information overload sometimes lol.
Plastic...
Annalee 10:56 AM 02-11-2016
We have plastic scissors but also use the regular scissors on playdough.
daycarediva 11:02 AM 02-11-2016
My kids start here at 18m and they have access to all art supplies. With proper supervision, I have never had an injury.

The 18mo is currently OBSESSED with hole punches. It's so cute how hard he has to push down (they work like a stapler) to get it to punch through the paper and he makes the craziest faces, grunts, etc.

Thrifty- you're too cute getting excited over playdoh scissors. I always called them plastic scissors. I put both kinds in my playdoh bin.
Blackcat31 11:09 AM 02-11-2016
Play-Doh "starter" kit.....$9.99 at Target
(they do sell plastic scissors meant for any type of "dough" or clay too but Pay-doh includes them in some of their sets.

Thriftylady 11:58 AM 02-11-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Play-Doh "starter" kit.....$9.99 at Target
(they do sell plastic scissors meant for any type of "dough" or clay too but Pay-doh includes them in some of their sets.

Thanks gonna have to check this out. We have a huge bin of play doh toys, but no scissors. I wish I could get some without buying a kit though. I am guessing we don't have them because most of my stuff comes from the thrift store, maybe they break easier? I know my WM had six packs of regular scissors on clearance from school starting. I didn't get any because I had plenty, but now I am wondering.....
Blackcat31 12:43 PM 02-11-2016
Thanks gonna have to check this out. We have a huge bin of play doh toys, but no scissors. I wish I could get some without buying a kit though. I am guessing we don't have them because most of my stuff comes from the thrift store, maybe they break easier? I know my WM had six packs of regular scissors on clearance from school starting. I didn't get any because I had plenty, but now I am wondering.....
This gal sells them for $1.48 a pair

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1506410...nFihoCYCvw_wcB
mamamanda 04:09 AM 02-12-2016
Originally Posted by Ariana:
I use safety scissors at 2.5 and regular scissors at 3 yrs. I remind them to keep their "thumbs up" by drawing a little smiley face on their thumbs with pen or marker. Then I remind them to make sure the face is smiling up at them.
I love the smiley face on the thumb idea! My experience has been that kids always want to turn their hand the wrong direction. I always introduce them to my "alligator" by pinching my hand open and closed with my thumb on top of my fingers. Then I have them show me their alligator and I tell them Alli likes to get a "thumbs up dude" so we always give him a thumbs up while cutting. After the first lesson all I typically have to say is "thumbs up dude" and they all self correct. It works well for us, but the smiley face idea seems even simpler!
Reply Up