Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>SA Schedule
284878 10:53 AM 02-13-2018
I have an infant enrolled that has a school ager sibling that needs care next week for winter break, one day. I have met the child a few times and have the feeling that she gets her way at home. DH gets her off the bus and up to the house with dd and then one of her parents arrive to pick up, she does not always make it inside.

One day during a snow storm, she came inside and made herself at home, including picking up her infant sibling. I corrected her right away and told her that it was not allowed in my home.

So basically, I have not really gotten a chance to get to know her or set any ground rules with her.

She and dd seem to get along for the most part but I do not want to take any chances. I have never had a school ager before for just a day and I really need help with a schedule for her.

I do not want her in DD room if I knew her better it may be different. Other than dd toys (which I do not want them pulled out), most of my toys are for preschool and under. As of now, I will only have DD, DCG, and sibling on Monday.

Please help me with some activities that I can put together for her and/or dd is in K, to do while I am taking care of the baby.

She is in 7 and in 1st grade, she is being medicated for ADD. She also opts not to listen and she rarely gets corrected for it either.

I plan on having a movie for them during nap time as I do not expect them to sleep but I will need a break. I do not attend for any other screen time during the day.

Most days it is 10 degrees or below, so going out for any great length of time is out.

What are some things that I could have them do besides CHORES?

storybookending 11:00 AM 02-13-2018
Crafts! Just pull out any odds and ends you have for supplies and let them go to town with their imaginations. If you separate recycling let them go through and use all the bottles and paper towel rolls they want.

Just make sure you talk to her right away in the morning about expectations and how even though it’s okay that she picks up her sibling at home at daycare you have to have different rules.

Sucks you’re in Michigan.. A nice long walk or time outside does that age wonders!
hwichlaz 11:12 AM 02-13-2018
Everyone follows the same schedule. But if you don't really have a schedule other than meals, because of your age group, then I'd get out left over craft supplies for her like another poster recommended.
mamamanda 11:16 AM 02-13-2018
Google or use Pinterest to search for stem challenges! Put a few "challenges" together for them to do together. Many can be done with items around the house or things you can purchase very cheaply! Make a Lego Zipline, construct an action figure parachute using a certain set of supplies, cup stacking activity using strings & rubber bands, etc. Great fun!!
284878 11:16 AM 02-13-2018
Originally Posted by storybookending:
Crafts! Just pull out any odds and ends you have for supplies and let them go to town with their imaginations. If you separate recycling let them go through and use all the bottles and paper towel rolls they want.

Just make sure you talk to her right away in the morning about expectations and how even though it’s okay that she picks up her sibling at home at daycare you have to have different rules.

Sucks you’re in Michigan.. A nice long walk or time outside does that age wonders!
I plan on talking to her right away, I may even do it in front of mom.

If it was not for the infant, I would take the two girls out no matter what and for as long as they could stand it.
momofsix 11:24 AM 02-13-2018
Arts and crafts are usually your best bet! Most of my girls could spend hours with paper, scissors, glue,markers tape. It doesn't have to be an "organized" craft, just random things they can do free style. Also playdough, clay, kinetic sand, shaving cream...
Although every once in a while there's the girl that doesn't like that sort of thing.
I know you were joking about chores, but, most kids that age love washing things-fill the sink with soapy water and let them wash the legos, toy food & dishes...or give them wipes or a wet washcloth to wipe down the bigger toys.
284878 11:26 AM 02-13-2018
I have Lincoln logs but no legos. I do have crafts supplies I just was worried about going craft crazy and have a bunch of started but unfinished crafts.

I do like the stem craft idea that would work for baby's first nap.

What about having them make some food. Does anyone have a recipe that requires no heat? or maybe some food other than cookies (which they will want to eat) that they can make that is healthy too?

(sorry, I am just drawing a blank)
daycarediva 11:29 AM 02-13-2018
Can you safely supervise them outside while still inside? watch from window? I would try to get them outside!
284878 11:34 AM 02-13-2018
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
Can you safely supervise them outside while still inside? watch from window? I would try to get them outside!
I asked that when I opened, I was told I have to be outside with them. So it is an all in or all out kind of thing.
But I so wish I could get away with it. (DH gets home one hour before they leave, we could go out then depending on the weather/temperature.)
storybookending 11:39 AM 02-13-2018
How young is the infant? Is going outside not an option at all? If you have an infant carrier you can zip the child right up under your coat if they are small enough to st least get outside for a little while or maybe a walk around the block at the very least. I’ve seen on the news that Michigan has been getting pounded with snow this year so maybe that isn’t an option.

I take on school age older siblings very occasionally on breaks but will not enroll them full time, even in the summers. They are typically content for a day here or there without getting bored even though I do not have a lot of “big kid toys”.
284878 11:56 AM 02-13-2018
How young is the infant? Is going outside not an option at all? If you have an infant carrier you can zip the child right up under your coat if they are small enough to st least get outside for a little while or maybe a walk around the block at the very least. I’ve seen on the news that Michigan has been getting pounded with snow this year so maybe that isn’t an option.

I take on school age older siblings very occasionally on breaks but will not enroll them full time, even in the summers. They are typically content for a day here or there without getting bored even though I do not have a lot of “big kid toys”.
The infant is 7 months and about 15-20 lbs (wears 12 months clothes) I could put the baby in the infant sled, and I have when we go out. Currently, we have too much snow for the toddlers to walk in, so going out to play in the backyard is out. It is about 1-2 feet deep in the backyard, in the front, the sidewalks and driveway are clear but just as deep or more in the yard. Yes, all this snow came in a range of 8 days before that we were walking in mud.

It also ranges from negative 10 to 15 degrees outside. One day recently, I checked the temp during nap and planned on going out, at the end of nap it dropped 10 degrees.
So going out depends on 2 things, one the temperature and if SA dcg comes properly dressed in snow gear. I plan on sending home a reminder this weekend but you never know.
sahm1225 12:07 PM 02-13-2018
Originally Posted by 284878:
I have Lincoln logs but no legos. I do have crafts supplies I just was worried about going craft crazy and have a bunch of started but unfinished crafts.

I do like the stem craft idea that would work for baby's first nap.

What about having them make some food. Does anyone have a recipe that requires no heat? or maybe some food other than cookies (which they will want to eat) that they can make that is healthy too?

(sorry, I am just drawing a blank)
Sandwiches? Or you have have precut up deli meat, cheese, and crackers for them to put together. Or making the snack packs (I forget what they’re called, but they usually have cereal, raisins, chocolate chips, etc).
Homebody 12:19 PM 02-13-2018
I'm not sure what your setup is like, but if you have the room let them build forts. My SA's and my own kids love to do this! Let them use kitchen chairs, furniture or whatever and drape old blankets over them. They will use their imagination and pretend to be camping out, in a cave, or castle, etc.
284878 12:24 PM 02-13-2018
Originally Posted by Homebody:
I'm not sure what your setup is like, but if you have the room let them build forts. My SA's and my own kids love to do this! Let them use kitchen chairs, furniture or whatever and drape old blankets over them. They will use their imagination and pretend to be camping out, in a cave, or castle, etc.
I am considering this as I have a fort kit. But concerned that the crawling baby may get underfoot and if I put the baby in the play yard, there is no room for the fort.
Should I consider this with a crawling baby?
storybookending 12:26 PM 02-13-2018
The infant is 7 months and about 15-20 lbs (wears 12 months clothes) I could put the baby in the infant sled, and I have when we go out. Currently, we have too much snow for the toddlers to walk in, so going out to play in the backyard is out. It is about 1-2 feet deep in the backyard, in the front, the sidewalks and driveway are clear but just as deep or more in the yard. Yes, all this snow came in a range of 8 days before that we were walking in mud.

It also ranges from negative 10 to 15 degrees outside. One day recently, I checked the temp during nap and planned on going out, at the end of nap it dropped 10 degrees.
So going out depends on 2 things, one the temperature and if SA dcg comes properly dressed in snow gear. I plan on sending home a reminder this weekend but you never know.
I hear you on the weather. I saw BC post in an old post when I was reading the archives that she has her hubby plow paths in her yard for the toddlers to play outside in. I did that this winter after barely being outside last summer and it has been great! I plow a nice big circle around the yard and completely clear around the playset so they can use the slide. Unfourtunatly the temperature here in WI has been like you describe and our regs says under 2 it has to be 20 degrees or higher windchill included. We haven’t been outside much because of the dang windchill!
Homebody 12:38 PM 02-13-2018
I am considering this as I have a fort kit. But concerned that the crawling baby may get underfoot and if I put the baby in the play yard, there is no room for the fort.
Should I consider this with a crawling baby?
Depends on how hyper the older ones are, or maybe try doing it while the baby is napping.
Blackcat31 12:42 PM 02-13-2018
Why not tell the parent that you don't normally take SA kids so you have nothing for her planned so she needs to bring some books, some paper and perhaps a small toy activity that she could entertain herself with while there.

You could give her a play space away from the others (at the table even) and leave her be.

Honestly, I wouldn't have agreed to take her at all.
I've been in the "just this once" situation before as well as "I could really use the extra $" situation too but if I am honest I never once ever felt it was actually worth it. It's easy to say yes when asked but I almost always regret it. Well not almost always but always. *sigh*

@Storybookending....yes! Plowed paths for the little ones is awesome and fun! They love that they aren't confined to the sidewalk and most little ones have a tough time walking in snow gear anyways so the plowed paths are a ton of fun!
storybookending 02:06 PM 02-13-2018
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

@Storybookending....yes! Plowed paths for the little ones is awesome and fun! They love that they aren't confined to the sidewalk and most little ones have a tough time walking in snow gear anyways so the plowed paths are a ton of fun!
Literally a game changer. Last year winter outside time was a nightmare. The one that had just started walking that previous (late) summer could not walk in the snow with her boots on. So many tears. Our snow was actually gone fairly early last year. There was a week in Feb that I want to say was in the 50s that melted it all and then the times after that it did snow were not substantial. I am SO glad I found this suggestion. I feel like we haven’t had that much snow this year but there is zero sign of meltage as the windchills have kept us inside most of the winter.
Josiegirl 02:42 AM 02-14-2018
Literally a game changer. Last year winter outside time was a nightmare. The one that had just started walking that previous (late) summer could not walk in the snow with her boots on. So many tears. Our snow was actually gone fairly early last year. There was a week in Feb that I want to say was in the 50s that melted it all and then the times after that it did snow were not substantial. I am SO glad I found this suggestion. I feel like we haven’t had that much snow this year but there is zero sign of meltage as the windchills have kept us inside most of the winter.
That's what I did this year; shoveled paths all over the backyard and with the snow made a huge snow mountain in the middle of the yard. Win-win. tots can toddle and everyone can climb on the snow hill.
What about fairy houses? Hit your local dollar store and pick up some fairyish looking things. Moss, glass stones, birds or butterflies, fake leaves, etc. Find a cardboard box they can create their magic in. Use recyclables to make fairy houses. Along with that, you can have them make fairy potions. That can get messy but if you have an old plastic tablecloth or shower curtain, they could do it right on your kitchen floor. Keep crawling baby busy and let them have at it. Make fairy wands. Fairy headbands. I would think K-1st grade girls would be right into the whole fairy thing.
What about those cinnamon-applesauce ornaments you see everybody making at Christmas time; they're wonderful smelling and great anytime of year, IMO.
Or think birds. Can you make bird feeders? We're always using old yogurt containers, string some cord through, slather on peanut butter and roll in black oil sunflower seeds. When it was really cold out, I'd have the kiddos place different things in a pie tin, such as cranberries, raisins, (preferably stuff birds might eat). Then we'd put a cord near the top and pour in water(might have to re-position the cord to keep it in the water), bring it outside and let it freeze. We also filled up balloons with colored water, then freeze them outside. When they were frozen enough, rip the balloons off; they were beautiful. Can you bring snow inside and put it in a sensory tub? Freeze small animals in chunks of ice and let them figure out ways to get them out as quick as they can. Have them create some sensory bottles, using rice and tiny hidden objects.
We've done all these things in the past...why the heck haven't I don't it lately??

K-1 might not be writing a lot of letters or words yet but maybe they could make picture/sticker journals. Do you have any Christmas lights that you could hang to make everything a little more magical, if you make tents for them? Have a Teddy Bear picnic. Chop up old crayons and make new chunky crayons, melting them in the oven.
284878 05:40 AM 02-14-2018
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
That's what I did this year; shoveled paths all over the backyard and with the snow made a huge snow mountain in the middle of the yard. Win-win. tots can toddle and everyone can climb on the snow hill.
What about fairy houses? Hit your local dollar store and pick up some fairyish looking things. Moss, glass stones, birds or butterflies, fake leaves, etc. Find a cardboard box they can create their magic in. Use recyclables to make fairy houses. Along with that, you can have them make fairy potions. That can get messy but if you have an old plastic tablecloth or shower curtain, they could do it right on your kitchen floor. Keep crawling baby busy and let them have at it. Make fairy wands. Fairy headbands. I would think K-1st grade girls would be right into the whole fairy thing.
What about those cinnamon-applesauce ornaments you see everybody making at Christmas time; they're wonderful smelling and great anytime of year, IMO.
Or think birds. Can you make bird feeders? We're always using old yogurt containers, string some cord through, slather on peanut butter and roll in black oil sunflower seeds. When it was really cold out, I'd have the kiddos place different things in a pie tin, such as cranberries, raisins, (preferably stuff birds might eat). Then we'd put a cord near the top and pour in water(might have to re-position the cord to keep it in the water), bring it outside and let it freeze. We also filled up balloons with colored water, then freeze them outside. When they were frozen enough, rip the balloons off; they were beautiful. Can you bring snow inside and put it in a sensory tub? Freeze small animals in chunks of ice and let them figure out ways to get them out as quick as they can. Have them create some sensory bottles, using rice and tiny hidden objects.
We've done all these things in the past...why the heck haven't I don't it lately??

K-1 might not be writing a lot of letters or words yet but maybe they could make picture/sticker journals. Do you have any Christmas lights that you could hang to make everything a little more magical, if you make tents for them? Have a Teddy Bear picnic. Chop up old crayons and make new chunky crayons, melting them in the oven.
Thank you, your ornament suggested reminded me of Salt dough. Not only could they make their own but they could dry it and paint it too. That may be a great time-consuming project. I have a toaster oven that we can use to dry them.
284878 04:49 PM 02-19-2018
The snow melted and was warmer today but it rained all day! So we were stuck inside all day.

Anyways the activities that I put together keep the kids busy all day, there were even things that I did not get to.
I did crafts, salt dough (they made it themselves, cut shapes and paint them), had games, puzzles, and quiet time.
Tags:crafts, summer activities
Reply Up