Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Infant Spots For Babies Not Yet Born...
Pandaluver21 09:02 PM 10-17-2018
So I searched wait lists and holding spots, but most of the things I found were for if you are already full.
My situation is a bit different. I recently decided to do just infant/toddler care for about a year then go back to preschool. Because of this I currently have no kiddos and am doing walkthroughs. I got an e-mail today (and have gotten many in the past) looking for care for a baby that's not even born yet. She is looking to start in May of 2019. She asked if I have openings. Technically I do, but don't know if I will in May. I have an interview with a family that has an 18 month old. So she would be over two by May, and an infant spot would open up.
I'm not sure what to say to this person (or others) about a spot that I may or may not have open by then???????
Josiegirl 02:08 AM 10-18-2018
I always tell families that I need to keep my spots filled so have no idea if I'll have an opening that far ahead or not. If they want to hold the spot, they'd have to pay a regular weekly rate. Most don't want to do that so will always find someone else. I usually know several months ahead what my group will look like, in terms of openings. If I didn't expect an opening for awhile I would charge them a nonrefundable holding fee of $50, to show their intent, and expect as much paperwork ahead of time as possible. Then as soon as I did have an opening, and if they didn't need it right away, they'd still need to start paying the weekly rate when my open spot started.
Does that make sense?? It's too early for brain work.
Cat Herder 03:51 AM 10-18-2018
I offer them the current available slot at full-rate, they chose their start date at their leisure. Most take it.

If they don't take it they go to the bottom of the waitlist and will be called when a slot opens again in order.
Annalee 04:20 AM 10-18-2018
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
I offer them the current available slot at full-rate, they chose their start date at their leisure. Most take it.

If they don't take it they go to the bottom of the waitlist and will be called when a slot opens again in order.
Same here! I have a mom of a sibling here expecting this month and I had an opening....offered it to her, she didn't take it so she just waits till the next one, could be soon or not so soon, her choice...she didn't want to pay now but I don't hold spots for anyone without full pay. I do have three that will go to school next year and she knew that would be available if nothing come up sooner.
jenboo 05:04 AM 10-18-2018
I tell them that I will notify them when the last spot is about to fill up. Then they can start paying full time rates to secure it or pass and hope something opens up later.
Jupadia 05:28 AM 10-18-2018
I'm in a similar situation. I currently have a spot for a child 2 +, but have not filled it. Come February my own son ages out and I can except a child under 2, but only if I dont fill my current opening. My plan is to have a parent pay a holding fee, if they do want that space, but I would make the holding fee the rate for the 2+ child rather then my under 2 rate. With no refunds given if parents change there mind about care.
Snowmom 09:24 AM 10-18-2018
Technically, that's a spot open today.
If a spot is open today, then they pay today or I fill it.

If they're not willing to pay, they contact me when they are willing to start paying and I let them know if I have room.

Infant spots are coveted. Luckily, most families realize that and will secure the spot immediately. I totally understand and sympathize that it sucks paying for a spot you're not using. But it comes down to: I'm not willing to take a pay cut to benefit someone else's family finances.
Ariana 10:08 AM 10-19-2018
I tell them to check back closer to that date. Let her know exactly what is going on and she will understand. I am pretty straightforward with parents about spots. My current DCM asked for a spot for her unborn child September 2019 and I told her that luckily my infant spot opens in September but that a lot can happen between now and then so it is not guaranteed. She also asked for my space with her first child about 6 months in advance and I told her to check back, which she did and fortunately my infant spot was still unfilled so she took it.
Tags:holding spots, waiting list
Reply Up