Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Free Training
Abigail 10:31 PM 02-01-2011
So I just printed off all the training I've currently completed. I have done 13 total hours and need 120 for a CDA which I am trying to do the bulk of this year while I am not doing daycare all day. I have registered for all the available "Easy Reach" courses our Child Care Resource has online until June 30 of this year. I added up all those hours to be 58. When I'm done with all these trainings that will bring me to 71 total hours of which I only paid for a 6 hour course for $36 a few months ago.

I am hoping they offer new or more FREE classes online, maybe I can get away with a very cheap transcript. Classes are usually $8/hour unless they're really long classes then they're a bit cheaper. I also need 480 hours of licensed group experience. I figured out from this last summer that I only accumulated 93.5 hours so I have a ways to go. At least I get 4 hours at the daycare tomorrow. I just wanted to share the good news.
BeckiBerningerr 02:14 AM 02-02-2011
Excellent learn, I simply passed this onto a colleague who was doing a little analysis on that.
heyhun77 08:31 AM 02-02-2011
Originally Posted by Abigail:
So I just printed off all the training I've currently completed. I have done 13 total hours and need 120 for a CDA which I am trying to do the bulk of this year while I am not doing daycare all day. I have registered for all the available "Easy Reach" courses our Child Care Resource has online until June 30 of this year. I added up all those hours to be 58. When I'm done with all these trainings that will bring me to 71 total hours of which I only paid for a 6 hour course for $36 a few months ago.

I am hoping they offer new or more FREE classes online, maybe I can get away with a very cheap transcript. Classes are usually $8/hour unless they're really long classes then they're a bit cheaper. I also need 480 hours of licensed group experience. I figured out from this last summer that I only accumulated 93.5 hours so I have a ways to go. At least I get 4 hours at the daycare tomorrow. I just wanted to share the good news.
You must be in ND. I think the odds of them extending the funding are pretty slim but you never know, it's early in the legislative session.

I would check with the CDA council to make sure they will accept the easy reach courses because they are self study and you can only do so many self study courses to reach your 120 hours.

If you need CDA hours look at www.eagertolearn.org which is the MN resource and referral's online training space. they are just like our eager to learn hours but they have waaaaaay more selection and they even have a CDA hours package that is way less expensive than doing them hourly through r&r.
Blackcat31 12:02 PM 02-02-2011
Originally Posted by heyhun77:
You must be in ND. I think the odds of them extending the funding are pretty slim but you never know, it's early in the legislative session.

I would check with the CDA council to make sure they will accept the easy reach courses because they are self study and you can only do so many self study courses to reach your 120 hours.

If you need CDA hours look at www.eagertolearn.org which is the MN resource and referral's online training space. they are just like our eager to learn hours but they have waaaaaay more selection and they even have a CDA hours package that is way less expensive than doing them hourly through r&r.
You can also check the CCR&R link for grants to help you pay for your CDA training. I used the eager to learn classes as CEU's to renew my CDA and I personally loved the method the classes were delivered and taught. They are what initially inspired me to head back to college to work on my Bachelor's. I got a T.E.A.C.H. grant through the CCR&R and it paid for a big chunk of my tuition, books, travel time and cost of hiring a substitute for my childcare. I also receive a bonus payment at the end of my grant period.
heyhun77 12:23 PM 02-02-2011
The ND CDA grants will only pay for the R&R modules but it is a viable option to get your 120 hours in a reasonable amount of time and if you do the college credit option then you are on your way to a degree as well.
Preschool/daycare teacher 02:06 PM 02-02-2011
I don't know how your state does things regarding the CDA, but I know in mine only select specific courses count as CDA hours. You'll probably want to call the CDA council to be sure. I'm going through the actual CDA process right now, going to trainings once a week. My state offers a scholarship for it. You just pay $20 or $25 I think every quarter, which is returned to you after you complete all of the 120 hours. Plus it give you one specific instructor for the entire time so you can ask them questions about your program and whether you're doing everything "right" with it before they come for your observation. You will need to have a daycare to work at that you're used to so when they come for that observation, you'll have a place for them to do it at, and you'll be comfortable with the daycare you're at and the children there. I think you have to have the role of main teacher or main provider for the observation.
Abigail 03:25 PM 02-02-2011
All the free courses offered count, (except a few like the CDA intro course, lol) but I need to reach the 10 hour minimum for each of the 8 and have not figured out how many hours are in each yet. I'm still going to do all the free courses because it's up-to-date information and counts for something. These courses usually cost $8-$12 each so I'm saving A LOT of money.

I worked today at a licensed group daycare for 5 hours, but I'm only at 100 hours total with this daycare. It's a large group and more than half the children don't listen. I certainly don't want to be observed there. I'm wondering that when I get closer and have more time besides the job I have now that I might look into another daycare temporarily or else I'll just be at the point of getting a license myself. I only need to have two kids enrolled in my licensed daycare to be observed so I think this would be best. I'm just slowly accumulating hours at the group daycare.

I just can't believe how expensive the three modules for the CDA training will be. My supervisor said she would ask if they're required for me because she did them and has only one year to complete all three 45 hour modules....anyone know anything about this?
heyhun77 06:04 AM 02-03-2011
Where are you located in ND? I've taken interns before so they can get their hours for CDA or school.

You can do the CDA hours all community based (which is what I did) but R&R doesn't really support it. I have a great advisor who I'm sure would be willing to work with you. She helped by reviewing my comp statements, answering questions and then doing my observation.

Those modules are expensive through R&R. The CDA training on eagertolearn is cheaper. I did most of my hours for my CDA through eager to learn either the ND or the main one depending on the competency area I needed. ND doesn't offer many and usually only one or two at a time.
lvt77 01:36 PM 02-03-2011
Originally Posted by Abigail:

who do you take your classes through online??
Abigail 03:44 PM 02-03-2011
LVT, I take my classes in the "Easy Reach" portion of our local child care website. It is for North Dakota, it's www.ndchildcare.org and you sign up as a provider and search for online training and select Easy Reach courses.
eliseedwrd@aol.comz 08:06 AM 03-25-2011
Abigail 11:44 AM 03-25-2011
Originally Posted by eliseedwrd@aol.comz:
You sound like me. I am at just over 100 hours of hands on care now and working towards to 480. I'll be there soon and I'm doing more and more hours at the daycare instead of my office job.
Tags:cda, child care resource, classes, fees, free, group, hours, online, prices, training
Reply Up