Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 07-31-2012, 10:21 PM
False Sense Of Authority

Default Bite on my CL Ad already!! Help!

I posted my CL ad this morning and I already received a reply. It's not really for a prospective family per se, but a trade school director who said she lost a lot of her students due to them not having childcare in the evening. She invited me to come advertise for my daycare at this event they're having next month.

The problem is, there really is no daycare yet. I've written my handbook, set up my website and started advertising - but that's about it. I won't have pictures of my space, because I don't have a space yet. I'm not even completely sure what part of town I'll be in.

My ad clearly said that I wouln't be open for business til next year, but I still feel funny recruiting for a business that doesn't exist yet. On the other hand, I'm stoked and this could send a lot of business my way.

I'm pretty much planning on going, but how should I approach talking to potential parents?
Old 08-01-2012, 06:55 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunni Bee View Post
I posted my CL ad this morning and I already received a reply. It's not really for a prospective family per se, but a trade school director who said she lost a lot of her students due to them not having childcare in the evening. She invited me to come advertise for my daycare at this event they're having next month.

The problem is, there really is no daycare yet. I've written my handbook, set up my website and started advertising - but that's about it. I won't have pictures of my space, because I don't have a space yet. I'm not even completely sure what part of town I'll be in.

My ad clearly said that I wouln't be open for business til next year, but I still feel funny recruiting for a business that doesn't exist yet. On the other hand, I'm stoked and this could send a lot of business my way.

I'm pretty much planning on going, but how should I approach talking to potential parents?
you tell them just what you told us. All the details are not finalized but you feel confident that you will be able to provide a fantastic service to them in the future. Have them fill out information cards if they want further details sent to their home or email.
Old 08-01-2012, 07:09 AM

I think it's great! This should motivate you to set an open date. Once you've decided what date you will open; you shouldn't feel bad at all for marketing your new childcare business. You just print your opening date on your marketing materials. It also will give you a date to work with so that you can plan your timeline of deadlines to get your space ready.
Old 08-01-2012, 07:33 AM

honestly, I am going to go against the grain and say I wouldn't be advertising until I at least had a place for my daycare. Are you opening a center or buying a house to do daycare? I know you are anxious to get started but as a parent I wouldn't commit to anything when the provider doesn't even know where her business is going to be. I would start really advertising a month or two before I was ready to take clients.
Old 08-01-2012, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy8 View Post
honestly, I am going to go against the grain and say I wouldn't be advertising until I at least had a place for my daycare. Are you opening a center or buying a house to do daycare? I know you are anxious to get started but as a parent I wouldn't commit to anything when the provider doesn't even know where her business is going to be. I would start really advertising a month or two before I was ready to take clients.
I wasnt suggesting asking parents to commit....but if they are interested in the possibility, there is nothing wrong with giving what information you can and then keeping people updated as plans progress.
Old 08-01-2012, 08:06 AM
Nature Lover

I'm thinking the same as Crazy8 and I wouldn't be advertising till about 2-6 months before I was going to open.

What might start happening is you will get alot of calls for babies that aren't born and they want to hold a spot. Or people will wonder how serious you are if its still a year away and you don't have a place to do it or things like that.

I would be let the lady know what you told us and tell her closer to your opening time you would be more then happy to call and talk to them.
Old 08-01-2012, 03:41 PM
False Sense Of Authority

I do plan to open in the next 6 to 7 months... God willing.

I really dont plan to sign anyone on, just get my name out there and network with this school. The director said be prepared to talk about my rates, hours and services, so I think she's just giving me a chance to put myself out there.

And Cheer, that's what I plan to do...have them give me their information and I will contact them when I begin interviewing.