Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>My First Experience with the FCCRS
spedmommy4 06:43 PM 05-13-2015
I am contracted with a state program and, as part of that program, they come out and complete a FCCRS every 6 months. My overall score was a 5.3, which they were happy with. However, in the subscores, they really nailed me in a few areas.

Apparently, my program is horribly unsanitary because we don't all wash our hands 15 times a day. Just for kicks, I calculated about how much time it would take to wash 14 kids hands as often as the FCCRS requires; it's 70 minutes. That doesn't count the fires I would be putting out while kids waited to wash hands.

My other dings were not having pictures of random multicultural people the kids don't know on the wall, (lots of other multicultural items/books) I permitted children to eat at the dining room table, (The kids table is in the classroom and the lady was irritated) and the lady decided that my space wasn't big enough for the number of children I am licensed floor. (I was floored by that)

This was my first experience but it was not positive. I did take away some feedback I'll use to improve my program but, to some degree, I felt like I was being nitpicked. Is it always like this.
daycare 07:27 PM 05-13-2015
Originally Posted by spedmommy4:
I am contracted with a state program and, as part of that program, they come out and complete a FCCRS every 6 months. My overall score was a 5.3, which they were happy with. However, in the subscores, they really nailed me in a few areas.

Apparently, my program is horribly unsanitary because we don't all wash our hands 15 times a day. Just for kicks, I calculated about how much time it would take to wash 14 kids hands as often as the FCCRS requires; it's 70 minutes. That doesn't count the fires I would be putting out while kids waited to wash hands.

My other dings were not having pictures of random multicultural people the kids don't know on the wall, (lots of other multicultural items/books) I permitted children to eat at the dining room table, (The kids table is in the classroom and the lady was irritated) and the lady decided that my space wasn't big enough for the number of children I am licensed floor. (I was floored by that)

This was my first experience but it was not positive. I did take away some feedback I'll use to improve my program but, to some degree, I felt like I was being nitpicked. Is it always like this.
Remember my post about hand washing. Must scrub for 20 seconds rinse for 10 every child before each meal and after tolieting. It's inanse how much time we spent washing hands it was nuts.
We play Simon says while we wait to wash hands. I choose one kid to be Simon while I help the little wash hands. Works out really well. Plus singing helps us not hassle out friends while waiting to use toilet. Also I split my group into 6 kids each. So I take 6 my asst takes six and we get it done quickly.

I have not had mine yet but I'm sure I'll get smacked for a few of the same things you did. We don't have cultural pictures either. Guess I should go get some knowing this.

Did you have to prescore yourself?
spedmommy4 08:05 PM 05-13-2015
I don't have to pre score myself, but I did read through the book before they came. I have tried those strategies to trouble shoot the hand washing but I have 2 sensory kiddos and 2 with developmental delays. I usually have to ficus my attention on the hand washer. (Assisting & distracting them with a song) I let my assistant take the independent kiddos. It just felt like the fccrs doesn't make accommodations for inclusive programs.
daycare 08:13 PM 05-13-2015
I don't have to pre score myself, but I did read through the book before they came. I have tried those strategies to trouble shoot the hand washing but I have 2 sensory kiddos and 2 with developmental delays. I usually have to ficus my attention on the hand washer. (Assisting & distracting them with a song) I let my assistant take the independent kiddos. It just felt like the fccrs doesn't make accommodations for inclusive programs.
I don't think how our county is doing the over all program is fair but I really don't get a say in it so I'm just going to do the best I can.

I just don't get how we are supposed to have this high quality of interactions and teaching then need to implement these crazy Levwls of hand washing. Ugh
spedmommy4 08:40 PM 05-13-2015
Lol. Exactly! And don't forget the 16 step diaper changing procedure, and to let the changing table sit for two minutes with sanitizer after each change. And sanitize the tables before and meals and snacks and activities. sheesh. MAYBE, if I didn't have actual children to teach.
daycare 08:43 PM 05-13-2015
Lol. Exactly! And don't forget the 16 step diaper changing procedure, and to let the changing table sit for two minutes with sanitizer after each change. And sanitize the tables before and meals and snacks and activities. sheesh. MAYBE, if I didn't have actual children to teach.
Believe it or not I actually do the in between each child wipe down. Lol. Funny thing is I never knew why I just did it. Lol.
spedmommy4 08:56 PM 05-13-2015
I spray it down with a bleach solution as well; I wasn't timing it to ensure there was two minutes between diaper changes. I guess I need to pace better.
daycare 09:32 PM 05-13-2015
I spray it down with a bleach solution as well; I wasn't timing it to ensure there was two minutes between diaper changes. I guess I need to pace better.
I can't use bleach as I have asthma and so do 4 of my dcks. So I use alternate which actually says 10 min so I may get dinged. I only give it about 2-3.
Nurse Jackie 09:41 PM 05-13-2015
what is fccr?
daycare 09:48 PM 05-13-2015
See here.

http://www.mass.gov/edu/birth-grade-...stem-qris.html
daycare 09:48 PM 05-13-2015
Originally Posted by daycare:
See here.

http://www.mass.gov/edu/birth-grade-...stem-qris.html
Oops I think I pasted the wrong one.
daycare 09:52 PM 05-13-2015
Try this.

http://www.tcpress.com/pdfs/fccerss.pdf

This is a sample
snbauser 04:09 AM 05-14-2015
A 5.3 is excellent!!! Congrats.

I did it with 12 kids. Once you get the routine down, it won't be as big of an issue. We wash upon arrival, after toileting/diapering, after wiping nose, before and after each meal, upon returning from outside play, and any other time their hands might be messy - art, playdoh, etc.

We also wash and sanitize tables before and after each meal.

It's a pain. But like I said, once you get the routine down, you will be fine. And I can say that although it is a pain, we rarely have kids get sick and when they do, the illness typically doesn't go past one kid.
NightOwl 05:12 AM 05-14-2015
My licensing rep was here the other day and, although she expects me to give HER my undivided attentive while she's here, she still deducted because she saw two toddlers go use the bathroom and they didn't automatically wash their hands. I was like !! They're 2 year olds! I usually help them! But I couldn't because she was talking my head off and asking me questions about my files. Grrrrrrr.... So I was penalized for not having 4 hands.
daycare 08:54 AM 05-14-2015
Originally Posted by NessaRose:
My licensing rep was here the other day and, although she expects me to give HER my undivided attentive while she's here, she still deducted because she saw two toddlers go use the bathroom and they didn't automatically wash their hands. I was like !! They're 2 year olds! I usually help them! But I couldn't because she was talking my head off and asking me questions about my files. Grrrrrrr.... So I was penalized for not having 4 hands.
thats not fair.... Really.... I would be having a hard time not fighting that...sorry that happened to you....
daycare 08:58 AM 05-14-2015
Originally Posted by snbauser:
A 5.3 is excellent!!! Congrats.

I did it with 12 kids. Once you get the routine down, it won't be as big of an issue. We wash upon arrival, after toileting/diapering, after wiping nose, before and after each meal, upon returning from outside play, and any other time their hands might be messy - art, playdoh, etc.

We also wash and sanitize tables before and after each meal.

It's a pain. But like I said, once you get the routine down, you will be fine. And I can say that although it is a pain, we rarely have kids get sick and when they do, the illness typically doesn't go past one kid.
I am an avid hand-washer, I am actually a bit of a germ phobe, which is odd that I work with kids. BUT it's the amount of time that they are saying is required to wash hands is nuts.... I timed our hand-washing and for the entire day it was an hour and 35 minutes, that did not include when a child went to the bathroom one at a time.

It takes about 1 minute to wash and dry each childs hands x14 kids...... and the 1 min is moving fast......
Annalee 09:22 AM 05-14-2015

In my state, providers must score a 4.0 to be on the FCCERS-R scale. All 5 components of our report card hinge on the assessment score so if we do not score a 4 or above we get an automatic "0". 4.0 - 4.4 is a star and 4.5 - 4.9 is another star and anything above 5 is considered bells and whistles so you did fine. It has been mandated/a law here to do this annually since 2001-02 but I think our report card here is in the process of being revamped Be proud of your score especially for the first time. Too much of the FCCERS-R is left to the assessor's perception of a certain situation and I find that to be the most frustrating. This leads to many inconsistencies and the provider being at the mercy of the assessor's score that will define us for a year. I generally score well, but find the process has become a game and is not doing what it set out to do....separate the good from the bad. There are providers who score low that don't deserve it and providers that score high that don't deserve it. Just my thoughts on this subject!
snbauser 10:57 AM 05-14-2015
I am an avid hand-washer, I am actually a bit of a germ phobe, which is odd that I work with kids. BUT it's the amount of time that they are saying is required to wash hands is nuts.... I timed our hand-washing and for the entire day it was an hour and 35 minutes, that did not include when a child went to the bathroom one at a time.

It takes about 1 minute to wash and dry each childs hands x14 kids...... and the 1 min is moving fast......
I know how long it takes. We wash 20 seconds and rinse 15 seconds every single time. The kids have to either sing out handwashing song 2 X when washing or sing the abc's. Then the rinsing song. I'm just saying it's long, it's frustrating, but it can be done with minimal issues once there is a routine.
daycare 12:41 PM 05-14-2015
I know how long it takes. We wash 20 seconds and rinse 15 seconds every single time. The kids have to either sing out handwashing song 2 X when washing or sing the abc's. Then the rinsing song. I'm just saying it's long, it's frustrating, but it can be done with minimal issues once there is a routine.
here ours is wet hands, scrub for 20 seconds (we have to turn the water off, drought) then rinse for 10. God forbid someone have to use the toilet during that time, add another 5 min to it....lol
spedmommy4 12:53 PM 05-14-2015
Today was a low day and I was by myself. I had 6 kids so I gave the constant handwashing a go. It was a nightmare. I gave up before lunch. Today I had my little one who pushes, a 20 month old, two very delayed 3 year olds that don't know how to wash hands, and two typical threes. Everytime we washed hands, chaos ensued. It's naptime and I'm ready to call it a day.
snbauser 06:51 PM 05-14-2015
here ours is wet hands, scrub for 20 seconds (we have to turn the water off, drought) then rinse for 10. God forbid someone have to use the toilet during that time, add another 5 min to it....lol
Ours is the same process except I bought an attachment for my sink that makes into a hands free sensor. The kids stick their hand under it and it goes on. When they take their hands out, it goes off. Saves a ton on my water bill and I don't need to worry about turning it on and off.
daycare 06:56 PM 05-14-2015
Today was a low day and I was by myself. I had 6 kids so I gave the constant handwashing a go. It was a nightmare. I gave up before lunch. Today I had my little one who pushes, a 20 month old, two very delayed 3 year olds that don't know how to wash hands, and two typical threes. Everytime we washed hands, chaos ensued. It's naptime and I'm ready to call it a day.
lately feel like all we do is clean and wash hands.....it really has taken a huge chunk of our preschool time out. We journal every week and this week we didn't get to finish and one parent asked why, before i could open my mouth their kid said because Miss N makes us wash our hands too much........ugh

I am with you.....in your feelings
gameofthrones 07:08 PM 05-14-2015
is that a program you have to participate in
Laurel 07:08 PM 05-14-2015
Originally Posted by NessaRose:
What you might want to try in that situation is that when you see a child that needs help with something and she is yacking say "Oh my, little Susie needs me to help her wash her hands. Would you rather me help her or take care of this paperwork?" I used to do that when I worked as a secretary and the boss wanted two things done and I was the only one there. I asked him which was more important to do first because I could only do one at a time. I said it nicely and it worked.

Laurel
spedmommy4 09:35 PM 05-14-2015
Originally Posted by gameofthrones:
is that a program you have to participate in

Yes and no. I accept children from a uniquie state subsidized program in my county in the state of California. I could refuse kids from this program but honestly I feel like California may be working towards requiring it so it is good practice. At the same time, it's insanely frustrating. I'm going to go find one of those fccers authors and invite them to sub for me for the day.i doubt the experts could get all this hand washing done perfectly with large groups of littles either.
gameofthrones 12:24 PM 05-15-2015
Yes and no. I accept children from a uniquie state subsidized program in my county in the state of California. I could refuse kids from this program but honestly I feel like California may be working towards requiring it so it is good practice. At the same time, it's insanely frustrating. I'm going to go find one of those fccers authors and invite them to sub for me for the day.i doubt the experts could get all this hand washing done perfectly with large groups of littles either.
Thanks for answering. I too am in California so I guess I should do my research
Abigail 04:12 PM 05-18-2015

You have 14 kids? Do you have 1 or 2 helpers? We have 11 kids and I have two helpers here for when we have observations. Since I'm the owner I help a little here and there to keep chaos at a minimum and the girls each have their own daily duties of what we're doing throughout the day. I'm only required one helper, but I'll be on maternity leave this summer so I've got two here full time for now and plan to keep them both because a newborn in the house again and nursing will be very time consuming!

We did our "practice" observation last month and sometime this month we'll have our real one. We have to get a 4.0 and we scored 4.something but all my previous scores have been 5. somethings. We got docked a lot on infants because I had one infant under 12 months with a blanket in their bed, which is allowed but not for fccers so I have to remember to eliminate that before our next observation. We even have a permission slip for licensing proving it's ok, but fccers goes by current best practice not licensing standards. We also got docked because I greet parents as they drop off and we're having breakfast so I stand at the doorway between hallway and kitchen to have my morning hellos and got docked because I was not within an arms reach of the almost one year old infant. That dinged me in two categories because of meal time not being safe even though I was only a few feet away and also because of poor supervision............stupid things can get you twice! I was told at my review to make sure if I'm serving breakfast that I need to let my helper know I will not leave the room, not even just to the doorway, while the almost one year old has a bottle or food they're eating. If they're just buckled in the highchair for a moment before/after food it's okay.

We also got docked on wait time. Since we have a large group and all went outside we had to dress in shoes and a warm coat and hat. We all start getting ready at the same time, all three teachers total and 11 kids. Since the start time and end time was more than three minutes total it was too long to wait. So next time we're splitting into groups of you take these four and go get ready and go outside, etc. ORRRRR she said if we are all getting ready I need to verbally tell the kids when they are ready or waiting for help to get ready that they can do "this or this" like reading a book or doing a puzzle or wait quietly if they don't want to read or do a puzzle. This way they're not being told to sit and wait. I always say they can read a book and wait in the library but I guess that wasn't enough options. At least my next observation soon will probably only require shoes and no coats!

Hand washing, I require parents to wash their childs hands when they drop off and it's been this way for 2 years. Only exception is with young infants I wait to have the parents start washing until they're eating solids for breakfast (or about that time). During transition times we never have kids lined up in the hall or bathroom waiting. Before lunch the kids are in playroom and wash one at a time as I call them so when one is almost done I call the next. Someone is usually reading a book right before lunch so they're not waiting yet not playing with everything. Babies get washed and put in high chairs first so they're done then it's just 8 1-4 year olds. We don't have kids go potty before lunch unless they say they have too, we wait til afterwards or else technically we have to sanitize the sink to make it a "clean sink" before washing our hands for lunch. With observations we announce a bit before lunch if anyone has to go potty to avoid the holdup of cleaning the sink again. Kids always wash after lunch as well. We always wash after art activities and we always wash everytime we come inside. It's just been a habit and kids get use to it.
MarinaVanessa 06:09 PM 05-18-2015
I wouldn't give it another thought. There's no way that even with a large daycare of 12 kids and 2 adults you'll be able to do everything on the lists. Somethings I refused to do anyway so I'll take the low score.

Some of my "centers" are outside so I got dinged for not having everything inside . The only way to get everything they expect me to have inside is if I get rid of my couches, entertainment center and dining room table ... leaving me with absolutely no adult size furniture downstairs. Yeah, no.

Another one for me was that my changing table isn't next to a sink. It's across the living room and bathroom because that's the only place it will fit. My downstairs bathroom is seriously like 5 x 7 and only has room for a toilet and a sink. They wanted me to move the entertainment center which is next to the bathroom and place my changing table there. That means that my TV would have to go next to my couch (on the same wall) so what then? My family can't watch TV then unless we stand in front of it since we can't see the TV if we sit down

I just told the lady that I'd be more than happy to take the low score because I wasn't interested in doing all that. No one's got time for all that
spedmommy4 06:14 PM 05-18-2015
I have one assistant, but I only have 14 kids during the summer. (We accept two Kinders during the summer) I have a master's in early childhood special ed, and I felt much of what was considered "best practice" is absurd.

I will pick on excessive hand washing to start with. The FCCERS recommends far more handwashing and sanitizing than the centers for disease control. I am no expert, but I assume the CDC has quite a few of them. I am fine with following the CDC recommendations. I am not fine with hand washing twice as much as the CDC recommends. To some degree, germs help kids develop a healthy immune system. I don't ever remember washing my hands this much as a kid and I never get sick now. We don't need to protect kids from ALL germs and ALL dirt. To boot, all the hand washing creates sooo much wait time during the day. And then the observers complain about kids having to wait? What???

And then there is the idea that kids should never have to wait. Kids should learn to wait. It's okay to wait. I can't have a conversation with most of my parents because as soon as the parents arrive, the child will engage in behaviors. I do teach kids to wait. It is a very important skill to learn, and we do children a terrible disservice by not teaching them. (And by entertaining them every moment) Further, I am one person with two hands. Short of having a personal assistant, children will occasionally wait in group care situations. It doesn't scar them for life.

I personally got dinged for not having enough of the kids art on the wall. My current group ALWAYS insists on taking their art home. (With the exception of one or two kids) No way am I going to say, "I am sorry dcg, but the FCCERS says I must keep 3 pieces of your art for display." It bugs me to no end that there are NO exceptions to their "standards."

The other one I got dinged on was not having enough soft toys. I have plenty but I don't put them out anymore. My current group isn't into them. I have tried a variety but they just don't play with them. I had a few a the time of observation and the kids didn't touch them but, it was another one of those situations where the FCCERS dings you for some arbitrary number of items over actual quality.

As a tool, I think the FCCERS is fine. Unfortunately, it seems to be held up as the gold standard for home childcare and it just has a long way to go before it gets to "gold standard."

Originally Posted by Abigail:
You have 14 kids? Do you have 1 or 2 helpers? We have 11 kids and I have two helpers here for when we have observations. Since I'm the owner I help a little here and there to keep chaos at a minimum and the girls each have their own daily duties of what we're doing throughout the day. I'm only required one helper, but I'll be on maternity leave this summer so I've got two here full time for now and plan to keep them both because a newborn in the house again and nursing will be very time consuming!

We did our "practice" observation last month and sometime this month we'll have our real one. We have to get a 4.0 and we scored 4.something but all my previous scores have been 5. somethings. We got docked a lot on infants because I had one infant under 12 months with a blanket in their bed, which is allowed but not for fccers so I have to remember to eliminate that before our next observation. We even have a permission slip for licensing proving it's ok, but fccers goes by current best practice not licensing standards. We also got docked because I greet parents as they drop off and we're having breakfast so I stand at the doorway between hallway and kitchen to have my morning hellos and got docked because I was not within an arms reach of the almost one year old infant. That dinged me in two categories because of meal time not being safe even though I was only a few feet away and also because of poor supervision............stupid things can get you twice! I was told at my review to make sure if I'm serving breakfast that I need to let my helper know I will not leave the room, not even just to the doorway, while the almost one year old has a bottle or food they're eating. If they're just buckled in the highchair for a moment before/after food it's okay.

We also got docked on wait time. Since we have a large group and all went outside we had to dress in shoes and a warm coat and hat. We all start getting ready at the same time, all three teachers total and 11 kids. Since the start time and end time was more than three minutes total it was too long to wait. So next time we're splitting into groups of you take these four and go get ready and go outside, etc. ORRRRR she said if we are all getting ready I need to verbally tell the kids when they are ready or waiting for help to get ready that they can do "this or this" like reading a book or doing a puzzle or wait quietly if they don't want to read or do a puzzle. This way they're not being told to sit and wait. I always say they can read a book and wait in the library but I guess that wasn't enough options. At least my next observation soon will probably only require shoes and no coats!

Hand washing, I require parents to wash their childs hands when they drop off and it's been this way for 2 years. Only exception is with young infants I wait to have the parents start washing until they're eating solids for breakfast (or about that time). During transition times we never have kids lined up in the hall or bathroom waiting. Before lunch the kids are in playroom and wash one at a time as I call them so when one is almost done I call the next. Someone is usually reading a book right before lunch so they're not waiting yet not playing with everything. Babies get washed and put in high chairs first so they're done then it's just 8 1-4 year olds. We don't have kids go potty before lunch unless they say they have too, we wait til afterwards or else technically we have to sanitize the sink to make it a "clean sink" before washing our hands for lunch. With observations we announce a bit before lunch if anyone has to go potty to avoid the holdup of cleaning the sink again. Kids always wash after lunch as well. We always wash after art activities and we always wash everytime we come inside. It's just been a habit and kids get use to it.

spedmommy4 06:20 PM 05-18-2015
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
I wouldn't give it another thought. There's no way that even with a large daycare of 12 kids and 2 adults you'll be able to do everything on the lists. Somethings I refused to do anyway so I'll take the low score.

Some of my "centers" are outside so I got dinged for not having everything inside . The only way to get everything they expect me to have inside is if I get rid of my couches, entertainment center and dining room table ... leaving me with absolutely no adult size furniture downstairs. Yeah, no.

Another one for me was that my changing table isn't next to a sink. It's across the living room and bathroom because that's the only place it will fit. My downstairs bathroom is seriously like 5 x 7 and only has room for a toilet and a sink. They wanted me to move the entertainment center which is next to the bathroom and place my changing table there. That means that my TV would have to go next to my couch (on the same wall) so what then? My family can't watch TV then unless we stand in front of it since we can't see the TV if we sit down

I just told the lady that I'd be more than happy to take the low score because I wasn't interested in doing all that. No one's got time for all that
It sounds like we might have a similar changing area setup. I literally had no space so I did this. (See photo) I got this changing table on amazon.com for 150. It is now next to the bathroom and is a serious time saver.
Attached: 1431998311284-1700853059.jpg (75.0 KB) 
MarinaVanessa 06:30 PM 05-18-2015
That's sort of what they suggested that I do. I just don't have the room for that. Really I don't. Here's my setup ...

And don't get me started on how licensing came and they said I had too much stuff

That bathroom is the door next to the TV, the other door is a closet. My changing table doesn't fit in the area where the cubbies are, I already tried that.
spedmommy4 06:53 PM 05-18-2015
I'm lucky in that the previous owners added a sun room To our house. We converted it to a classroom so there is no shared space. This is the classroom now.
Attached: 1432000306245-1953797545.jpg (95.9 KB) 1432000327799-2064394087.jpg (72.9 KB) 
MarinaVanessa 07:11 PM 05-18-2015
I'm so jelous. My next house will have a designated daycare space.

Love your space
Abigail 08:41 PM 05-18-2015
I also think Fccers is a lot about what you have available. What I do is put more and more stuff out a week or so prior to the observations so the kids lose interest in playing with it. The most annoying toys come out first so on day two or three with more new toys they stop playing with them.........that example is my guitar toys. LOL. No loud guitar music playing 24/7 after new dolls, food, cars, etc were brought out on day two!

I was slightly dinged on "many and varied materials" for science, math, and music. I had 9 music toys out yet I needed 10 or more for my group. I had ALL my science things I could possibly find out and it still wasn't enough. Now she found plants, our pet cats count, nature pieces we put in jars like rocks, leaves, etc, magnetics, books, but she said she wanted to see more or a variety. She only said all she could think of was having available a sequence/matching/order card game of some sort so I will make sure that is out this time around! Another idea for science I didn't have was photos of nature displayed on the wall, so I'm going to try to find something I like and I understand. Even a real photo of a rainbow. She wanted to see more math items available so I guess I'll just have to make sure I have a few more infant things and phones out because the numbers on toy phones work as math.

For diversity I just need to find more play food that shows what people eat in different countries. I have mini posters on a wall showing baby/mom/dad/grandma/grandpa/friends/pets as well and differing abilities and backgrounds............having at least some diversity on the wall is required I fixed that my last go-around. Making sure you have it in your books, play dolls, play people, dress up clothing or food.........it just needs to be at least one of each so you can't have just African dolls, you would need to have like a native American and African doll to have a comparison. OYE, understandable I guess.

ALL of our artwork I require it to stay at daycare for at least two weeks. If it isn't something great to hangup, like free art is often and other projects are more cool to hang up on display I just put those that don't get hung up in a drawer until our theme is over then send everything home. Not just for the fccers practice but because I don't want crap sitting in cubbies for days on end and having parents have to carry something home every day or two, it's easier to put things in a take-home bag 2x a month. Any child 12 months or older needs 2 minimum but 3 to be safe projects displayed. You could have cute hand prints done in multiple colors with names on them and always display those somewhere like a mini border for half a year at a time. Some wall hangings or artwork needs to be displayed at the childs level and it needs to be in an area where kids can see it so don't put it only in a hallway. I am going to have to lower art/photos in my bigger kid areas, I refuse to in the main playroom where infants stay.

The diaper changing I will always score low, that is by choice. Our changing table is in playroom and even though we follow procedure washing hands even on infants after diaper changes we must touch the hallway gate to get to the bathroom and that's a ding. We also have to keep the step can on the changing table next to the pad or kids will open it and I don't want a full size step can for having only 3 infants in diapers. Besides just one ding of the two still keeps me rated low in diapering. We always sanitize for 2-3 minutes but I heard new standards they're trying to introduce would be 5 minutes for diapering areas.

Soft toys and child seating......I put out almost all the "squeeze-ably soft" items I have and spread them throughout the little and big kid areas. I don't typically have stuffed animals out but the smaller ones that hold up in the washer/dryer I keep. We use them regularly now for music time in the mornings so it's a good thing I stocked up on animals! Small pillows and receiving blankets work as well, but you can't have just ten blankets you need at least 2 of each soft item to count. We had 2 pillows, 6 blankets, 8 small stuffed animals, a soft piggy bank with coins (counted as math too!), soft books in the infant area, some soft play food (also had plastic play food) in the kitchen area, and in other rooms we had a few more stuffed animals and soft play toys so we made the soft toys work! Now I only have one couch in the whole daycare area and we have large vinyl covered blocks 4/5 of them you can sit on, one is round and no one sits well on it, but I'm not sure if the blocks counted as a soft item or not. I was told I needed one more soft seating area available so I think only the couch counted so I ordered a furniture set with part of our grant and that will go in another room so only the big kids have access to it. Spendy little furniture!

This is fun thinking about my results and what I'm going to change.........oh yeah I needed a solid ground building surface in the block area so kids could build sizeable structures. Plush carpet is all we have and no playing in hallways, my rule, and the kitchen floor doesn't count because we have closet doors/cupboards/chairs it's just too crowded to make a formal block play area. So instead I ordered one more shelf from Kaplan and that will go in the room where furniture is also going for big kids only. I was told if I get a 3 by 3 foot office chair floor protector mat that that would be considered a solid ground building surface for 2 kids to build a sizeable structure on. So I'm going to put that clear mat infront of the shelf which will house all the block play materials that we never keep out because 0-2 year olds chew on them or they would be a choking hazard. I was told I needed more than just blocks, cars, and people so I am going to add animals and probably dinosaurs as well to make more a block play area for big kids in a separate room and I better score all my points!

I think it's fun to learn about how they score, but in the end half the items I have out get put back because in my world less is more and they just want to see what they can in 4 hours to follow their book scoring. One other thing I learned was that I don't have to have all my books in our book shelf, it's a front display ladder shelf and the infants kept trying to get at the paperback books. So instead I was told to have about a dozen paperback books available for the older kids and to have about the same amount available in boardbooks in the bookshelf. So since I have 5 infant/toddlers and 6 preschoolers I'm turning our nap room into a block play and book area for only 3-5 year olds! I'm not use to having so many older kids so it's good encouragement for me to change some things so fccers isn't all that bad! Just make sure you look at all your books you have out to make sure they'll give you "points" in categories...........show science (books on nature), math (numbers, counting, shapes, colors), diversity (differing abilities and backgrounds), etc. If you have regular storybooks that you can't think of where they could place in helping you earn points, I put them away and find some that would! I also lean towards real photos vs. character drawn photos. Parents have all those pooh-bear and basic tv character books at home, so at daycare I strive to find real photos of people especially over characters. Just my preference.

Also having photos of your children/families on display helps. We had Christmas cards hung up and it was April. LOL, now in my newsletter to parents I'm going to ask for family photos or pet photos so keep on display. I can display photos of them already but it would be nice to have even their pets or siblings/family on display for half a year or more at a time. I have a door in the hallway dedicated to where I was going to put these, but I might hang them up behind plexi-glass on a corkboard or something really low so the kids can look straight forward at the photos and not ruin them. Anyone else hang things low but are protected? I was thinking I could just get a huge frame and tape them inside and hang the frame low as well. Maybe even a few smaller frames and make a showcase wall?
spedmommy4 09:06 PM 05-18-2015
I do post things low, but I usually laminate them. If you want to get fancy, I know that either lakeshore or Kaplan makes a display for infants and toddlers.

It sounds like you do a lot to improve your score, and that's great. I believe the purpose is to get administrators considering the quality of their program and how to improve it. The down side is that it becomes easy to get caught up in points and having an arbitrary number of items. The fccers doesn't take into consideration that every fcc is unique. We should all be high quality, but not the same.
Josiegirl 03:39 AM 05-19-2015
I'll bet all these people that make the rules, have 1 or 2 kids of their own and leave them at dc just so they can get groceries done. They wouldn't be able to handle it. Why can't they see what all the extra rules and time is taking away from the safety and education of these kids??? Not to mention, it doesn't hurt a kid or environment to not be sterile once in awhile, it helps build immunity. I'm not saying we shouldn't wash their hands but hopefully you know what I mean.

Annalee 06:52 AM 05-19-2015
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
I'll bet all these people that make the rules, have 1 or 2 kids of their own and leave them at dc just so they can get groceries done. They wouldn't be able to handle it. Why can't they see what all the extra rules and time is taking away from the safety and education of these kids??? Not to mention, it doesn't hurt a kid or environment to not be sterile once in awhile, it helps build immunity. I'm not saying we shouldn't wash their hands but hopefully you know what I mean.
Some rule makers are not even married much less have kids. It is easy to look from the outside and decide what is best practice but when you work child care sometimes it is a split-second decision to take care of the most pressing thing at the time. I think rules are necessary but I also feel there needs to be a medium and providers should have a chance to explain themselves at times. Just like common core teaching is putting all kids in the same learning box which is a travesty, so is QRIS placing all providers in the same box. I believe in multiple learning styles and providers should be given the courtesy of providing diverse child care programs. There are many ways to provide quality care and there are many ways for children to learn. Let us do what we do best and give credit where credit is due. AND yes I have said all of this to legislators to no avail
spedmommy4 12:51 PM 05-19-2015
Yes! This exactly, although I actually think it needs to be said to the authors of the FCCERS. During my observation, there were many times that I had to prioritize behavior and safety over hand washing. If I had opted to complete hand washing, my group would would have spent too much time waiting (ding for that too ) and I would have been dealing with serious behaviors. Maybe it's just be, but I believe that to score a 7 you would need multiple assistants. I just don't see how it's sustainable on a day-to-day basis.

Originally Posted by Annalee:
Some rule makers are not even married much less have kids. It is easy to look from the outside and decide what is best practice but when you work child care sometimes it is a split-second decision to take care of the most pressing thing at the time. I think rules are necessary but I also feel there needs to be a medium and providers should have a chance to explain themselves at times. Just like common core teaching is putting all kids in the same learning box which is a travesty, so is QRIS placing all providers in the same box. I believe in multiple learning styles and providers should be given the courtesy of providing diverse child care programs. There are many ways to provide quality care and there are many ways for children to learn. Let us do what we do best and give credit where credit is due. AND yes I have said all of this to legislators to no avail

daycare 01:22 PM 05-19-2015
I am curious to see how my childcare will play a hand in this as I don't take any govt asst of any kind... So I am not certain how I will be scored in the end of all of this or if there will even be any reason for me to participate in it.
Cat Herder 03:21 PM 05-19-2015
How is everyone getting away with 20 seconds.

I am told to have them turn on water, wet hands, leave water running, apply foam soap, have them wash for 2 minutes without getting in water, rinse, grab paper towel, use to turn off water, toss, grab another paper towel, dry, toss.

I have well water and would prefer some trees live.

With infants, it is two minutes per hand while you delicately restrain them. I won't even go into the diapering obscenities.

I thought the goal was unification?
snbauser 03:55 PM 05-19-2015
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:

I am told to have them turn on water, wet hands, leave water running, apply foam soap, have them wash for 2 minutes without getting in water, rinse, grab paper towel, use to turn off water, toss, grab another paper towel, dry, toss.

With infants, it is two minutes per hand while you delicately restrain them. I won't even go into the diapering obscenities.

I have never heard of 2 minutes. Where are they getting their information from?
MarinaVanessa 04:08 PM 05-19-2015

This is one of those points that I take a low score on. I'm CA and we have a drought. Besides that I conserve energy and water anyway so leaving the water running is something I refuse to do.
Cat Herder 05:12 PM 05-19-2015
I have never heard of 2 minutes. Where are they getting their information from?
It came from the "no more anti-bacterial soap" push. Friction + soap only. (plus antibacterial soap has a keep out of reach label which means it falls into the "toxic chemical" rule) 2 minute timers are suggested.

"Superbug" research + "best practice" is what was lectured.
Annalee 05:23 PM 05-19-2015
Yes! This exactly, although I actually think it needs to be said to the authors of the FCCERS. During my observation, there were many times that I had to prioritize behavior and safety over hand washing. If I had opted to complete hand washing, my group would would have spent too much time waiting (ding for that too ) and I would have been dealing with serious behaviors. Maybe it's just be, but I believe that to score a 7 you would need multiple assistants. I just don't see how it's sustainable on a day-to-day basis.
FCCERS-R appears to be set up to make providers fail....I call it a catch-22 Over 14 years I have scored between 5.96 and 6.94. It is all in the perception of the assessor and it defines providers here for a year. Most of my discredited points seem to be during my interview where they ask questions about things they "did not see". It is like I feel they are trying to catch me.....so I have started making notes because it is hard to remember everything. Questions range from how many times science activities happen to who I call in case I suspect child abuse and so on and so on. What I say first is what is counted for me even if I finish my sentence with the expected answer, I am NOT given credit but for the first thing out of my mouth during the interview Like I said a catch-22. My 5.96 came from a soured lady whom never gave eye contact to me or my daycare kids. I knew I was doomed when she come in.... The process needs revamped to say the least!
Josiegirl 02:52 AM 05-20-2015
I'm with MV on this one. I'd rather rate good enough than strive for perfection and stress myself right the heck out.

Side note, so good to see you back here MarinaVanessa!!!
Cat Herder 05:37 AM 05-21-2015
Update: I sent another email to confirm the 2 minute soaping from training class and finally got a response.

It said the instructor was mistaken, that it is 20 seconds for soaping, with water running. The 2 minutes is how long you have to leave the bleach solution to sit on the diaper changing/eating surfaces before wiping. Out of the reach of children, Timer recommended. I included the poster they referred me to. It did say not to use same paper towel to turn off water that is used to dry hands. Not sure if they will update posters.

You guys just saved me HOURS of drama. Thank you!!!!
Attached: HandwashingChart.pdf (179.6 KB) 
Unregistered 06:16 AM 05-21-2015
Abigail, I loved reading your detailed post! I just want to mention something about the family photos and hanging things low. We have each child bring in about 4-6 pics of family members or their special people and pets. Then you glue those onto a paper and laminate it. Then stick a soft side of velcro on the back, place the rough velcro low down on the wall. Then all the kids can look at, take down, access, hug, nap with (lol), their special pictures and then put them back. Even helps if someone is sad and misses their Mommy Also, in our town there is a lending library for childcare providers, teachers, etc. There is free laminating there. Maybe you have something like that where you are?
Annalee 09:24 AM 05-21-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Abigail, I loved reading your detailed post! I just want to mention something about the family photos and hanging things low. We have each child bring in about 4-6 pics of family members or their special people and pets. Then you glue those onto a paper and laminate it. Then stick a soft side of velcro on the back, place the rough velcro low down on the wall. Then all the kids can look at, take down, access, hug, nap with (lol), their special pictures and then put them back. Even helps if someone is sad and misses their Mommy Also, in our town there is a lending library for childcare providers, teachers, etc. There is free laminating there. Maybe you have something like that where you are?
We took pop tart boxes and had each child glue their family pics on them and then laminated them for the block center. We put newspaper inside the poptart boxes to make them more sturdy. We do this with each family so I have tons now but even the kids here enjoy the older pics and ask about the kids that used to stay at ms xxxx but are all grown up now.
Josiegirl 10:08 AM 05-21-2015
We took pop tart boxes and had each child glue their family pics on them and then laminated them for the block center. We put newspaper inside the poptart boxes to make them more sturdy. We do this with each family so I have tons now but even the kids here enjoy the older pics and ask about the kids that used to stay at ms xxxx but are all grown up now.
Cute idea!!
snbauser 10:23 AM 05-21-2015
Update: I sent another email to confirm the 2 minute soaping from training class and finally got a response.

It said the instructor was mistaken, that it is 20 seconds for soaping, with water running. The 2 minutes is how long you have to leave the bleach solution to sit on the diaper changing/eating surfaces before wiping. Out of the reach of children, Timer recommended. I included the poster they referred me to. It did say not to use same paper towel to turn off water that is used to dry hands. Not sure if they will update posters.

You guys just saved me HOURS of drama. Thank you!!!!
Awesome!! And I would highly recommend getting these for your sinks. Because they automatically turn on when a kid puts their hands under it and turn off when they take them out it will save a ton on your water bill and in paper towel costs.

http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden...ml?searchidx=0
spedmommy4 12:07 PM 05-21-2015
I love this!! I am borrowing this idea. :-)
Tags:fccrs
Reply Up