Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Would You Do With This Kid?
Francine 07:16 AM 12-14-2010
18 months old, follows me around all day whining and crying. Only child, with new baby being born on the 28th. Has been coming here since June or July, should be use to it by now in my opinion. The only time he will play with the other kids is if I am sitting right there, otherwise he follows me around whining and crying. It's really beginning to effect the amount of patients I have with the other kids, it drives me crazy. The thing is, if I happen to have a light day where it's just him and me for a while he is awesome. He can be a wonderful little boy, I hate to lose him and his baby sister over this but when if starts to effect the way I am with the other kids something needs to change. HELP!
jen 09:10 AM 12-14-2010
I've had that happen, but never for that length of time...my guess is that he is finding the enviornment a little overwhelming. I have one who is going to be 2 in March, only child, had been at gmas before here, he had a tough time and responded with biting.

I think I would try to engage him and one other child in play, an older child. I would ask the older one to be his buddy. Once he was good with the one child, with me actively engaged, I would slowly remove myself, so that he could play with JUST that one child, perhaps off in a corner.

Once that was working, I would add another child in hopes of de-sensetizing him. If that didn't work, I would try giving him a gated off corner with his own toys and perhaps his blanket so that he could feel safe, observe and get comfortable with whats going on.

If none of those options work, I would move him back to two naps so that he got a break from the action. Good luck!
Francine 09:23 AM 12-14-2010
Thanks for the suggestions Jen, he is the oldest child that I have so pairing him with an older isn't going to work and he does still take two naps a day here. At home he doesn't but I need a break so he has to when he is here. ANy other suggestions?
jen 09:37 AM 12-14-2010
Hmmmm...can I ask how many kids you have and how old they are?
Francine 09:42 AM 12-14-2010
another that is 18 months and two infants, all part time
laundrymom 09:53 AM 12-14-2010
Id nap him or pnp him when you cant be just there,.. tell him,.. shhh no crying,.. go play. if he whined, pop him in pnp and do something cool until he stopped whining, then pop him out,... until he whines then pop him in,... it will be a workout but may work....

Originally Posted by Miss Joy:
another that is 18 months and two infants, all part time

momma2girls 02:56 PM 12-14-2010
Originally Posted by Miss Joy:
18 months old, follows me around all day whining and crying. Only child, with new baby being born on the 28th. Has been coming here since June or July, should be use to it by now in my opinion. The only time he will play with the other kids is if I am sitting right there, otherwise he follows me around whining and crying. It's really beginning to effect the amount of patients I have with the other kids, it drives me crazy. The thing is, if I happen to have a light day where it's just him and me for a while he is awesome. He can be a wonderful little boy, I hate to lose him and his baby sister over this but when if starts to effect the way I am with the other kids something needs to change. HELP!
There are many children even at this age, that just need more sleep. I would try and lay him down with your am nappers, and see if this helps. My own daughter still needed an am nap til about 20 months. She also slept fine in the afternoon also.
Tags:crying, follower, kids that follow, whining
Reply Up