Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Teething Help
cara041083 05:59 AM 02-03-2014
I have a lil girl here that off and on for the past two weeks has had diarrhea really bad. She is also drooling and has all the signs of teething which is what the parents are calling it. Well off and on all the members of my house have also had the diarrhea (her parents and brother are also having it because my husband works with the lil girls dad). Well she showed up at 715 this am and now its 8 am and she has already pooped 3 times. At what point when the parents say its teething, do you call for pick up. My gut says send her home, which I probley will today, but It got me thinking, when do you call for pick up when the parents say its teething? Thanks
blandino 06:17 AM 02-03-2014
When any of the symptoms are symptoms that you exclude for. You can't be 100% sure that it's teething (neither can a doctor, or anyone for that matter). So if/when any of those symptoms violate my illness policy they have to stay home. If I can't be positive it is from teething, then I am going I make sure that it isn't any other illness coming into the daycare. So a fever over 100, or diarrhea would be going home for me.
Blackcat31 07:25 AM 02-03-2014
Originally Posted by blandino:
When any of the symptoms are symptoms that you exclude for. You can't be 100% sure that it's teething (neither can a doctor, or anyone for that matter). So if/when any of those symptoms violate my illness policy they have to stay home. If I can't be positive it is from teething, then I am going I make sure that it isn't any other illness coming into the daycare. So a fever over 100, or diarrhea would be going home for me.
^^^

While teething does and can cause certain symptoms in a child, you aren't excluding for teething. You MUST exclude for symptoms.

Diarrhea is diarrhea whether caused by teething or illness.

The CDC says we should exclude for it based on the fact that leaky poo can get on things/people creating an unsanitary environment.

How can diarrhea from teething NOT fit into those reason for exclusion? kwim?

She has diarrhea she needs to go home.
cara041083 07:31 AM 02-03-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
^^^

While teething does and can cause certain symptoms in a child, you aren't excluding for teething. You MUST exclude for symptoms.

Diarrhea is diarrhea whether caused by teething or illness.

The CDC says we should exclude for it based on the fact that leaky poo can get on things/people creating an unsanitary environment.

How can diarrhea from teething NOT fit into those reason for exclusion? kwim?

She has diarrhea she needs to go home.
Thanks. It IS in my contract to exclude for diarrhea. Ever since I started this one child, my house hold had been sick off and on for weeks and at this point if I feel bad if it really is teething, but at the same time something has to give. What you are saying makes perfect sense and I will be speaking to all the families and then sticking with it. Thanks
Cat Herder 07:37 AM 02-03-2014
I also would exclude for diarrhea.

I do want to throw out there as a "hindsight is 20/20" sort of thing: Those teething tablets the parents like to load the kids up on are full of lactose (milk sugar). It is the #1 ingredient.

Many kids with lactose issues are being fed a steady diet of those tablets. Many parents are not aware what is really causing the diarrhea. Fewer parents are telling the provider they use the tablets.

***This is not in all cases, obviously... ***

Personally I believe most fever/diarrhea/vomiting/runny nose/goopy eyes attributed to teething are simply viruses picked up because they are temporarily immuno-suppressed from the histamine releases due to the actual cutting of teeth. Like little walking petri-dishes. That and some see it as a convienient way to get out of taking sick days for common childhood illness.
cara041083 07:44 AM 02-03-2014
Oh those teething tablets lol. I am not a fan and personally have never used them. There have been to many recalls and issues for my comfort. and I know for a fact that this family swears by them. I might try and find something online regarding all that and give it to them. Because at this point, shes not coming back until she's diarrhea free. Her dad works with my husband and my husband called and said the dad showed up late for work because he was having tummy issues due to eating bad food. Ok so we have a kid with diarrhea from teething, and a dad with diarrhea from food poisoning These people are eaither that dumb or trying to pull a fast one and just got caught!
Cat Herder 07:47 AM 02-03-2014
Originally Posted by cara041083:
Ok so we have a kid with diarrhea from teething, and a dad with diarrhea from food poisoning These people are eaither that dumb or trying to pull a fast one and just got caught!
So Dad caught teething this time and not the provider...

I'll call that a win.

Score one to illness policy, zero to teething excuse.
Blackcat31 07:52 AM 02-03-2014
Oh those teething tablets lol. I am not a fan and personally have never used them. There have been to many recalls and issues for my comfort. and I know for a fact that this family swears by them. I might try and find something online regarding all that and give it to them. Because at this point, shes not coming back until she's diarrhea free. Her dad works with my husband and my husband called and said the dad showed up late for work because he was having tummy issues due to eating bad food. Ok so we have a kid with diarrhea from teething, and a dad with diarrhea from food poisoning These people are eaither that dumb or trying to pull a fast one and just got caught!
This is off the teething tablet website (http://www.hylandsteething.com/teething-baby-symptoms/)

Parents often report that a teething baby will have the following symptoms:

• Fussiness or irritability
• Poor or disturbed sleep
• Drooling
• Putting fingers in the mouth, biting on objects
• Diarrhea or loose stools
• Fever
• Loss of appetite

When pediatricians study the actual symptoms of a teething baby, however, the research findings actually disagree on what are teething symptoms and what symptoms may represent some additional problem. For example, fever and diarrhea could indicate as an infection or even an unsuspected food allergy or intolerance. These are symptoms that you want to ask your health care provider to evaluate.
Cat Herder 08:06 AM 02-03-2014
Oh those teething tablets lol. I am not a fan and personally have never used them. !
I had forgotten about that. They had high levels of belladonna and were reported to have caused seizures in infants in 2013. The ingredients are still inconsistent and not monitored by the FDA since they are "homeopathic"... Once classified as such, they really cannot be regulated well. Buyer beware is the norm.

The bottle still says belladonna, but they separated the ingredients list to "active" and "inactive" ingredients. I still am shocked at how many parents willingly give their infants this stuff. They would freak if I gave them a sip of my sugar/cream coffee... but this even has a known poison, too. (I have a bottle in hand a parent tried to sneak in on me in a bottle bag last week.)

Active: Calcarea Phosphorica (phosphate of lime & calcium), Chamomilla (any of several daisy like flowers), Coffee Cruda (unroasted coffee beans) and Belladonna (deadly nightshade plant)

Inactive: Acacia Gum (tree sap from acacia) and Lactose (milk sugar)

****I think I will stick to the old school way which includes some cuddling, distraction and alternating warm/cold teething rings.
TwinKristi 12:37 PM 02-03-2014
Ugh- I had a DCB who was always sick but mom said it was "allergies" or "teething" or whatever but I knew it was a virus. I could just see when he was sick on his face!! Poor little red eye lids, puffy eyes and crabby! Since getting rid of him we haven't been sick since! Woohoo!! Some of our other DCKs have been but my DS, myself/dh or the SA kids haven't!

I would send her home for diarrhea, esp if you know it's been going around their family. So lame of these parents to do to you!! Makes me mad!
Cradle2crayons 05:25 PM 02-03-2014
I explain to parents from the beginning that I exclude based in SYMPTOMS, not DIAGNOSES.

I've heard it all...
"She got into an old sippy cup of milk" OK EWWWWW

"I think she is allergic to lactose" OK THATS IMPOSSIBLE BECAUSE SHE EATS TONS OF LACTOSE EVERY SINGLE DAY AND IS FINE EXCEPT FOR ONCE EVERY SIX WEEKS ETC

"She chewed her food at mcdonalds yesterday too fast"

I've seen it all and heard it ALL.

Point being, if you send your child knowing they have diarrhea (and I will find out ) then they can come back 48 hours after their last diarrhea. If they suddenly develop it late into the afternoon,e to you can bring them back 24 hours after last diarrhea.

I don't care WHY.
Daycaregranny 08:04 PM 02-03-2014
I can't believe I'm going to actually tell you all this story but it ended all of my parents using the teething excuse. At one point it didn't matter what was happening, slight fever, rash, diariah a third eye growing out of a forehead, it didn't matter ALL MY PARENTS starting using this excuse UNTIL I closed on a Friday unexpectedly. MY EXCUSE I AM UNABLE TO WATCH YOUR CHILDREN TODAY BECAUSE I AM APPARENTLY TEETHING. Yep, I told them I had a fever, my head hurt and I had diarrhea so I must be teething. Who knew teething was contagious? Yep. Nobody uses that anymore here. I have had 6 of my own kids and never did any of them have theses kinds of symptoms from teething. I don't get it. Yes they got cranky, didn't sleep well, etc. but never cold symptoms.
craftymissbeth 08:17 PM 02-03-2014
Originally Posted by Daycaregranny:
I can't believe I'm going to actually tell you all this story but it ended all of my parents using the teething excuse. At one point it didn't matter what was happening, slight fever, rash, diariah a third eye growing out of a forehead, it didn't matter ALL MY PARENTS starting using this excuse UNTIL I closed on a Friday unexpectedly. MY EXCUSE I AM UNABLE TO WATCH YOUR CHILDREN TODAY BECAUSE I AM APPARENTLY TEETHING. Yep, I told them I had a fever, my head hurt and I had diarrhea so I must be teething. Who knew teething was contagious? Yep. Nobody uses that anymore here. I have had 6 of my own kids and never did any of them have theses kinds of symptoms from teething. I don't get it. Yes they got cranky, didn't sleep well, etc. but never cold symptoms.
Brilliant
Tags:diarrhea, diarrhea and teething, diarrhea policy, infectious teething, norovirus, teething, teething - remedies
Reply Up