Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 08-14-2017, 11:15 AM
Unregistered

Default Best Location For A Cry Spot?

I have a little one who is turning 3 next week. Let me just say, he's mine. Lol He cries a lot. For attention, if he's told no, etc. He likes to follow me around & cry so I tried giving him a cry area in his bedroom, but he screams that he's scared if I'm out of his sight. Where is a good location to keep him in sight, but not as the focus of attention when he's carrying on. It's very distracting to all of the kids & stressful for me.
Old 08-14-2017, 11:18 AM
Daycare.com Member

I have a peace place..... children can go there if they need a minute, they can always take a book with them. I will also send them there until they can control themselves once they have an handle on themselves and can follow the rules they can join in whatever the rest of us are doing.

Our peace place is a reading nook corner in the main room.
Old 08-14-2017, 11:22 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

For my own kids, I had them go to my recliner with a blanket and book.

For DCK's, I have a play tent, with a mat and small book shelf inside, placed in a back corner behind my desk.
Old 08-14-2017, 11:38 AM
Daycare.com Member

My front door is between my living room and dining room and in sight of part of the playroom. I send all daycare families in through the garage and the front door is never used. There is a mat in front of the door that has turned into the chill out spot. I really only use it with two children DCB5 and DCG1(almost 2). They are my tantrum throwers and they know they can take all the time they need on the mat and get up as soon as they calm themselves. The 5 yr old will occasionally grab a book and put himself on the spot when he just needs a mental break. I am thinking of getting an identical mat for use downstairs. They were using a chair but since the chair is also a toy it was being used by other children when they needed the space. I removed the chair and right now it's just an area with no toys. I will probably get another mat as the 1 yr old will be returning next week after being off (teacher parent). The 5 yr old is fine with just having the space but I feel the 1 yr old will adjust better if the mat is the same for the consistency alone.
Old 08-14-2017, 11:59 AM
Daycare.com Member

There was a closet in the space I converted to my day care room. I took the door off, painted the walls a dark, soothing gray, stenciled pretty but subtle sunbursts onto the walls, put a thick textured bath mat on top of the carpet, added a toy shelf with a sensory bin and touchy-feely books, and put in a couple of outdoor chair cushions tied together to form a padded seat with a back.

Originally, I also had a curtain for privacy and a touchlight, but the kids immediately burned out the light and kept pulling the curtain down, so that's all gone.
Old 08-15-2017, 09:29 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

I just put then in the reading corner on a chair. I want to make sure they can see us because I want them to see us having fun without them and me actively ignoring them! I did the same with my daughter a few weeks ago.

Tags
crying, crying area