Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 04-04-2011, 11:33 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

Default Boogers On The Wall...EEEWWW!

Yup, you read it correctly! I found boogers on my wall today. YUCK!!!

The booger culprit is just-turned-5 dcb; also my climber, also my timeout king. He's now putting his boogers on my wall in the nap room next to his napmat. About 8-10 of them! I can't believe I just now noticed this; but then again the naproom is an exclusive naproom and not used for anything else other than a guest room used about once a year.

YUCK YUCK YUCK! My immediate response was that after his nap/quiet time he would be in there with a bowl of soapy water and a washcloth and washing it himself. And that next time I saw his boogers on the wall he'd have a more serious punishment. But part of me thinks this is too leniant. What would be an appropriate punishment for something like this? Any ideas?
Old 04-04-2011, 12:24 PM

No responses yet? Come on guys!

Well Dcb just woke up and since everyone else is also awake I filled a bowl with soapy water and sent him to work. I counted 18 of them on the wall.

I know this may sound funny to some, but this just ticks me off royally! I feel like he has no respect for me, my things, or my property. I am really thinking of doing probation now. If he goes, his two siblings will go too and all 3 of my spots will be open. Am I overreacting here? How would you all react to this?
Old 04-04-2011, 12:26 PM
Daycare.com Member

glad you have him in there cleaning. i agree ewww. yucky.
Old 04-04-2011, 12:28 PM

Gross. Have never had this issue with a DCK but I'd do the same as you and mention to the parents that you got him to clean them up.
Old 04-04-2011, 12:35 PM

I would have had him clean them also, and as PP advised, talk to the parents about it. I would also make sure the dcb understands that this is not acceptable behavior, maybe he just doesn't realize it's not okay .
Old 04-04-2011, 12:37 PM

I had that problem with my own son. First time I cleaned it but when I saw it again I made him clean it. Boys and boogers - what fun!
Old 04-04-2011, 12:40 PM

Yes, I will definitely be talking to dcm about this! She usually takes his behavior very seriously, so I know she will support trying to stop this behavior.

His response when I asked him why he would do this was "I do this at Mommy's house." I said "Does she know you do this at home?" He said "Yes." I said "What did she tell you?" and he said "I don't know."

I know his mom would not allow this if she knew he was doing it. We'll see what she says tonight!
Old 04-04-2011, 12:40 PM
Daycare Member

I once watched a 7 yr old boy who wiped his buggers on the back of the couch. Didn't realize it till we moved and pulled the couch out! It was slightly away from the wall and I guess he figured it was as good of place as any. At the time, I only had my little ones and an infant, so I know that it was him. He had already left care when I found them. Gross, gross, gross.
I don't think having him help in the clean up is wrong. As he is cleaning remind him that tissues are for buggers, not the wall.
Old 04-04-2011, 12:51 PM

ew that's gross....

cleaning it is the right thing to do.

I knw lots of kids don't realize they are even picking their nose they do it so often. and then they swipe it on whatever, whether it be the couch, pants, shirt, wall, table, anything they can. It's disgusting.

ESPECIALLY when it's right next to the toilet paper in the bathroom, like wtf! can they really honestly not just wipe it on the tp at least?
Old 04-04-2011, 12:53 PM

eeewwwww....bleck.

I think that making him clean them is a perfect punishment. It's a very logical consequence.

And remind him of where the tissues are!
Old 04-04-2011, 12:57 PM
Daycare.com Member

maybe give him a tissue to hold onto when he is napping and walk him to the trash can after nap
Old 04-04-2011, 01:50 PM

OMG I found some too!!!!!! I was cleaning up, wiping down my cots and all that and there, on the wall, next to my newest dcg's cot - BOOGERS!!!! Iiiiiiiiickkkkkk!!!!!!!
Old 04-04-2011, 03:23 PM

Amanda, how funny! Everyone be on the lookout!

The part that gets me is that I stay in the naproom with them until I am convinced they are asleep. I've noticed the last few weeks dcb has been facing the wall and covering himself up to his neck with his blanket. I've noticed he has been doing something with his hands underneath the blanket, but I didn't know what he was doing. LOL Now I know!