Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I Need to Clean Out Some of My Part Timers
awestbrook713 04:18 PM 09-14-2011
Ok so I have been posting on here the last few days with the dilemma that I have lost all of my kids but 3 to school and now only have one full timer. I sat down today and figured out the max I have at one time each day of the week. After I figured that out I figured in the kids I don't currently have due to school but will be getting back during summer. I know you may wonder why I am keeping these kids around and it is because they have siblings in my care with them that I am still watching during the school year, if i lose one I lose both. There is one family though that I am leaning towards not watching. The girl is here sporaticlly "maybe" monday, tuesdays, and thursdays and even on these days shes not there the full time she is supposed to be because mom has grandma or this person or that pick her up early. I had tried to be nice and she wanted to work out a different rate which screwed me into making at max $40 a week at the least $15. Mom is due with child number 2 this month and I was going to watch him, but again crazy schedule tuesdays, thursdays and "maybe" friday. During the summer she was constantly having her daughter show up on non scheduled days and only txting me an hour before she wanted her dropped off. After going over my numbers figuring out who I would have in the summer and getting rid of this impossible family I could find 2 FT kids and make $200 a week compared to probably $40-$80 with the baby and girl. Now that I know what I want to do I am chickening out. Mom is out on medical leave and I don't want to stress her out into early labor, but I want to give her as much time as possible to find a new provider. Also this little girl has gone through so many babysitters because of behavior issues but she is so good for me shes really straightened up and I don't want to let her down. If you were in my situation how would you go about letting the family go? Oh also I would not being losing any income at this time because I haven't watched the girl since middle of august and the baby wouldn't start coming here until end of october early november.
melskids 04:41 PM 09-14-2011
i had part timers at first, and i finally just had to tell everyone to either pay for a full time spot or i could no longer accomodate them. some understood, but one family did leave. (the one i wanted to)

i just noticed you are in NY. me too!!! i'm near Cooperstown. Can i ask where youre from?
awestbrook713 04:46 PM 09-14-2011
An hour east of binghamton.
melskids 04:48 PM 09-14-2011
wow. i'm about 1 1/2 east of binghamton!!

i bet we're neighbors and don't even know it...lol!

small world!
awestbrook713 04:59 PM 09-14-2011
Lol probably.
MyAngels 08:29 PM 09-14-2011
You don't really have to terminate them. Just do as Melskids said and tell them they will have to start paying your full-time rate. If they don't want to do that they will withdraw the kids. Either way it's a win-win situation for you.
awestbrook713 04:08 AM 09-15-2011
I have worked through my numbers again and I have worked it out that I should be about to take on 2 ft children without terminating anyone right now. I will have to inform a father that brings his 10 yr old son pretty much for drop in care that I may not be able to accommodate him during the summer. Also I have to be strict with the parents I watch kids for that they have to stick to there set days and if something comes up and they need another day they will have to check if I have any openings not just assume they can bring the child.
mac60 04:19 AM 09-15-2011
When I started, I had a 2 day minimum, about 3 years ago I changed that to a 3 day minimum. I kept 2 different families for 6 years at part time, and by the time the kids went to school, I was down to 1 to 3 days per family. I turned down many phone calls for families that needed ft care, or at least 3/4 days care per week. I decided that if I could not make at least $60 per week on a child then I did not want them in my daycare. So now $60 per week for 3 days care is now my minimum. You may want to consider a minimum per week that you are willing to take.
Tags:contract - revisions, fulltime, schedule - changes, terminate, termination
Reply Up