Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Teething and Fevers?
hgonzalez 09:37 AM 01-29-2013
Arggghhh! I am so frustrated. I sent a little one, 18 months, home yesterday with a fever of 101.7. The parents think it is 'just teething'. I told them that I had not experienced children having a fever that high with teething and that normally it hovers around 100 and not much higher.

Well, today they basically saying I am crazy, because she is drooling all over and it must be from teething. I looked in her mouth and did not see any new teeth coming in.

I am pretty sure they also are giving her Tylenol or Motrin and that is why she has no fever. I have explained my policy until I could scream (fever free for a full 24 hrs without use of a fever reducing medication).

What do the rest of you do? Could the fever really be thay high from just teething? She really has no other sypmtoms other than not eating well.

Advice please.
itlw8 09:40 AM 01-29-2013
Yes it can be that high from teething but how do you know? I am licensed and have to follow the regulations. 100 THEY HAVE TO BE isolated until parents can pick them up.
AnneCordelia 09:46 AM 01-29-2013
I have four kids of my own and loads of dcks. I have never experienced a fever higher than 100* from teething and most experts back that up.

Regardless, it doesn't matter the reason for the fever. All that matters is my contract says a child with a fever over 100.5* needs to be home. I am not a doctor and cannot diagnose if a fever is resulting from teething or the flu.

I experienced a dck have a seizure last year from a fever jumping from 100-102.5 too quickly for her body to handle. Yes, fevers need to be dealt with at home.
Blackcat31 09:57 AM 01-29-2013
I exclude kids for SYMPTOMS not for actual illnesses so even if they are teething and parents feel the fever is due to teething, the child would still be excluded due to having a fever.

I would try using that concept when explaining it to parents. Tha way they can't just say "Oh, it's teething or a cold".
hgonzalez 08:38 AM 01-30-2013
Well, she was out Monday and Tuesday and back today. Now she has a fever again! Over 101.

They swear that she did not have one at all while she was at home and they 'only gave her Tylenol for her teeth, not for the fever'. They actually said that. ROFL!!! What?

So I gently explained about fever reducers and that they mask the fever. They still think it is her teeth, even though the Mom now does not feel good.

So, I call again telling them she will have to go home again and she should see a doctor before returning. They said they don't understand why she is only getting a fever at my place and not at theirs.

So I finally said 'Because I am not giving her Tylenol or Motrin here!'.

These are educated and super nice people. I DON'T GET WHAT IS SO DIFFICULT TO UNDERSTAND!

Just needed to vent......
Blackcat31 08:42 AM 01-30-2013
(((((hugs)))))

Totally understand where you are coming from
daycarediva 10:07 AM 01-30-2013
Possibly, but you have no way of knowing. Fever=go home. It could be teething, it could be meningitis. Either way, kiddo goes HOME.

I understand your frustration. I have a 2yo who has been 'teething' since Sept. Fever of 102, irritability and diahhrea, on and off, for MONTHS with NO teeth is NOT teething.
Tags:meningitis, teething
Reply Up