Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Laxatives Before Daycare
Unregistered 04:09 PM 05-17-2016
WHO WAS THE PRESIDENT FOR MOST OF WW2?!!!!! I always say roosevelt and it always says its wrong. Drives me nuts. It was roosevelt, was it not?

anyways,
I think that I have a family that gives their 2yo dcb laxatives or something in the mornings before he comes here.

For the first year he was here, he was always constipated but it didnt ever make him uncomfortable. He just didnt poop very often. Then, one day around the time he was 12 months, he just started pooping all the time.

Now, he has a massive poop every single monday morning within two hours of arrival. massive.
He also poops every morning for the rest of the week within two hours. But mondays are always the worst so I think that they arent giving him the laxative over the weekend, only during the week.

I'm not very happy that they're pumping him with fiber or laxatives and then setting him looose to poop all over me!
But what can they do, really? The kid probably has to take that medicine every day. But they havent ever told me that he takes any kind of medicine or fiber or laxative. when i mention that he poops a lot they just joke that its good that he poops for me instead of for them.

so my question is this... should i say something? would you be okay with a child having laxatives before coming to your house?
Smilevike1 04:24 PM 05-17-2016
we also had a baby who I thought was laxatives come to find out the give him prunes all the time they now even pack it is his diaper bags. He was very constipated and the doctor said it was his formula and so now he poops at least 5 times a day!
LysesKids 04:35 PM 05-17-2016
Yep, I have a family that likes to give prunes too, only the first time DAD didn't listen to mom to only give baby half the jar... nope almost 2 full jars because little man was hungry; They were called to pick up early for diarrhea the next morning...

dad learned his lesson & I said never again. Part of the problem for his constipation was how much cereal they were feeding at home (11 months old & they still jar feed at home even though he eats table foods here)... never have issues after that because they know they will miss work if it happens again lol.
Unregistered 05:52 PM 05-17-2016
My son had to take Miralax daily when he was 3.5 for about 9 months, I always gave it to him after dinner and he never had a problem with massive poops at daycare (I also let the daycare providers know he was taking this per doctor's orders, and if started causing issues to let me know right away so I could switch the timing of the miralax so he'd be pooping at home). But it was always normal BMs, not giant ones, the whole reason he had to take it was to make him regular, he had constipation issues. If the dcm is Given laxatives, and he is going that much, I'd think he wouldn't need them, or could take a smaller dose or something more gentle. I've only heard of Miralax being given to children, and it is very gentle and shouldn't produce huge BMs. We did have to do a "cleanse" for my son before he started Miralaxx consisting of exlax and mineral oil, but I did that over the weekend, so it wouldn't affect daycare.
Leigh 05:59 PM 05-17-2016
I gave my son prunes for breakfast one day, not thinking of the laxative effect they could have (I never thought ONE jar would do the trick!), and my daycare provider freaked out on me about his explosive poops all day that day! I honestly didn't know any better! #newmomissues Lol

I'd just ask what's going on, and if they are giving prunes or prune juice or a laxative, tell them to knock it off. I'd maybe offer to give the laxative at daycare around 4PM, so they can deal with the fallout at home.
Unregistered 04:30 AM 05-18-2016
Ok thank you all!

My main concern is the Monday poops. It's been like this for about 6 Mondays in a row. They're always so much bigger so I'm really thinking that they purposely skip the laxative over the weekend. I can understand that some kids need the medicine and that giving it to the child after pickup may be too close to bedtime since they pick up at 4 and bedtime is at 7:30. So in general I'm not super upset about it. But if they're skipping it over the weekend then I'm really mad.
Blackcat31 06:32 AM 05-18-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Ok thank you all!

My main concern is the Monday poops. It's been like this for about 6 Mondays in a row. They're always so much bigger so I'm really thinking that they purposely skip the laxative over the weekend. I can understand that some kids need the medicine and that giving it to the child after pickup may be too close to bedtime since they pick up at 4 and bedtime is at 7:30. So in general I'm not super upset about it. But if they're skipping it over the weekend then I'm really mad.
I think the answer IS Roosevelt but I "think" the board wants you to say FDR. I don't know...I stay logged in all the time so...

Anyways.... I would consider just outright calling them out on it. Not in an accusatory manner but just more of a "I need to know these things" type situation.

"Say Jane....I've been caring for Billy for a while now and I've noticed a pattern in his BM's and I'm wondering did you and Bob start putting him on a daily regime of fiber or Miralax?"

Then just gauge the situation by their response. If you've had them in care for a while now, you should know them fairly well and easily be able to tell if they are truthful or cautious in replying. kwim?

I'd toss in a detail or two (especially about the amount on Mondays) just to "show" them you DO know what you are talking about....and sadly identification of a million and one things is done via poo from the regular provider...it's odd the things we can "tell" just from that.
sharlan 09:07 AM 05-18-2016
I would be sooo tempted (NO, I WOULD NEVER DO IT) to give him a double dose just before pick up.

I've never had a parent do this, but I would definitely bring this to the parents' attention right away. I have major issues with laxatives.

40 years ago my grandfather used to give my invalid grandmother "salhepatica" if she went one day without a "movement". He was of the philosophy that you had to go every single day. He'd give her the laxative then everybody else got to deal with hand scrubbing the carpet from her bed to the bathroom, cleaning the bathroom, and then of course cleaning her up. I can't tell you how many times I threw that stuff away.
KTsKids 02:53 PM 05-18-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I think the answer IS Roosevelt but I "think" the board wants you to say FDR. I don't know...I stay logged in all the time so...
Yup... The answer it's looking for is FDR.
Tags:laxative, prunes
Reply Up