Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Fingernails
HappyEverAfter 07:19 AM 10-26-2017
Do any of you have policies that require an infant/child's fingernails be kept cut and short? Reason for asking is that I'm doing a handbook revision that I'll pass out to parents at the end of December and I'm contemplating making it a rule that nails be kept cut and short. I've got one infant whose nails are so long that he could get a French manicure with no problem. He scratches his face so much sometimes that he looks like he belongs in a baby fight club. I also have a toddler whose nails are typically kept cut but she chews them which leaves them jagged and sharp and needing to be retrimmed. Last week she accidentally scratched my neck to the point that it bled. The toddlers mom has no problem with me trimming her daughters nails if they need it and I will do that if I notice a need. However, the infant's mom would have a fit if I cut his nails. And she seems to like leaving them long. She even mentioned once that she usually files them instead of cutting them which makes me think she's scared to use nail clippers on him. I'd like to make a rule that if nails are not cut and short that I will cut them myself. Both of my infants are on the verge of crawling and I'd hate to have one baby scratch up another. I also am not a fan of being scratched. So is that a reasonable policy or is that something better left to parental decision?
MomBoss 07:32 AM 10-26-2017
This is something i want to add in my policy. I have kids who scratch when they are mad at each other and some draw blood. They always go for the face near the eyes! I have to ask one parent many times to keep their childs nails cut because they scratch kids really bad in the face. They pick up first and i always show them the child their child injured. I hate that we have to remind parents of simple grooming and it shouldnt be our responsibility to cut the nails for them.
Blackcat31 07:37 AM 10-26-2017
Originally Posted by Starrygirl:
Do any of you have policies that require an infant/child's fingernails be kept cut and short? Reason for asking is that I'm doing a handbook revision that I'll pass out to parents at the end of December and I'm contemplating making it a rule that nails be kept cut and short. I've got one infant whose nails are so long that he could get a French manicure with no problem. He scratches his face so much sometimes that he looks like he belongs in a baby fight club. I also have a toddler whose nails are typically kept cut but she chews them which leaves them jagged and sharp and needing to be retrimmed. Last week she accidentally scratched my neck to the point that it bled. The toddlers mom has no problem with me trimming her daughters nails if they need it and I will do that if I notice a need. However, the infant's mom would have a fit if I cut his nails. And she seems to like leaving them long. She even mentioned once that she usually files them instead of cutting them which makes me think she's scared to use nail clippers on him. I'd like to make a rule that if nails are not cut and short that I will cut them myself. Both of my infants are on the verge of crawling and I'd hate to have one baby scratch up another. I also am not a fan of being scratched. So is that a reasonable policy or is that something better left to parental decision?
Nope, no written policy.

I just tell parents "Billy's nails are getting pretty long. Please cut them tonight during bath time"

If the child scratches others or themselves or it's a safety thing, I would add an "or you won't be allowed attendance tomorrow if they aren't cut"

As for cutting a child's nails myself ... Nope. Just nope. No.

I don't and won't perform parental responsibilities.
storybookending 07:51 AM 10-26-2017
I have no problems clipping a 3-5 year old hangnails if they have one every so often but I will not cut a child’s nails, not my job.
Cat Herder 07:51 AM 10-26-2017
I cut them myself.

I am full care, though, and advertise as such to begin with. It would be the expectation, here.

A long time ago I got tired of having to beg parents to do/provide the *little things that effected my day (bathing, hair out of eyes, appropriate shoes, winter gear, nails clipped, etc). So instead of constantly policing them I started presenting those things as a service I offer and raised rates to reflect them.
MomBoss 08:55 AM 10-26-2017
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
I cut them myself.

I am full care, though, and advertise as such to begin with. It would be the expectation, here.

A long time ago I got tired of having to beg parents to do/provide the *little things that effected my day (bathing, hair out of eyes, appropriate shoes, winter gear, nails clipped, etc). So instead of constantly policing them I started presenting those things as a service I offer and raised rates to reflect them.
What all do you offer for full care? This is really interesting. Do all parent take advantage of it? I have a few families that seem like they dont have time for things like bathing their kids, Im wondering if this is a good way to raise rates
laundrymom 08:56 AM 10-26-2017
This.
If an infant keeps scratching her face I put socks on her hands
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Nope, no written policy.

I just tell parents "Billy's nails are getting pretty long. Please cut them tonight during bath time"

If the child scratches others or themselves or it's a safety thing, I would add an "or you won't be allowed attendance tomorrow if they aren't cut"

As for cutting a child's nails myself ... Nope. Just nope. No.

I don't and won't perform parental responsibilities.

daycarediva 09:01 AM 10-26-2017
I had it in my policies previously that I would cut nails if they posed a health/safety risk (dirty fingernails are GROSS anyway)

I used to do 'monday manicures' on my entire crew!

Now? Nope. I tell parents. "Her nails need to be cut tonight."
Cat Herder 09:15 AM 10-26-2017
Originally Posted by MomBoss:
What all do you offer for full care? This is really interesting. Do all parent take advantage of it? I have a few families that seem like they dont have time for things like bathing their kids, Im wondering if this is a good way to raise rates
I don't offer an opt out. I provide everything but breast milk and "going home" outfits for their cubby . Kids arrive in pj's or play clothes. I keep my own play clothes, shoes and winter gear here. I bathe, do hair/nails and change them into "going home" clothing in late afternoon. I launder all linens and send home overflow.

I am required to offer formula, anyway, and am allowed to claim all supplies, meals and snacks at the end of the year, so that was an easy choice. The bathing started out of necessity with my medically fragile clients and was so appreciated that it stuck. I like the freedom to get as dirty as we want to and they like that they can go straight from my house to any public place with pride.

A few choose to provide their own *special diapers or formula, but that rarely lasts long. Especially after baby 2 comes along.
Unregistered 05:57 PM 10-26-2017
I have a mom who admits she has never used the baby nail clippers..they scare her so she bites the babies nails while she is bf. I didn't even ask about her toe nails. Her baby is 15 months old. ;/
Jamie 03:46 AM 10-27-2017
Wow, I never even thought of that...! I've always just grabbes a nail clipper and done their nails if I thought they were too long...
HappyEverAfter 08:23 AM 10-27-2017
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I have a mom who admits she has never used the baby nail clippers..they scare her so she bites the babies nails while she is bf. I didn't even ask about her toe nails. Her baby is 15 months old. ;/
This is ridiculous. At what age will she think its appropriate to stop chewing her child's fingernails off? And meanwhile this is teaching her child to bite his/her nails as they get older, which is a terrible habit and is difficult to break.
hwichlaz 08:37 AM 10-27-2017
absolutely not

even the most amazing parents miss that baby's nails grew overnight

Just remind them as needed
hwichlaz 08:40 AM 10-27-2017
If you have a problem family, I'd probably hand them the clippers in the morning and ask them to take care of it before they are allowed to sign-in

Otherwise, I'll do it occasionally if parents miss it. It takes less time than a diaper change.
Tags:fingernails
Reply Up