Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CheekyChick 02:14 PM 06-21-2011
I have been running an in-home certified child care center for almost four years. In the past, my nappers (2 to 4 years of age) were quiet. If they didn't sleep, they would read books quietly on their cots.

Times have changed. I have a group of little girls (ages 2 1/2 to 3 1/2) who will not stay on their cots, they talk to one another, sing, giggle - throughout the entire napping period. Often times they never fall asleep...

I have tried bribing them with a sticker or a small marshmallow when they wake up. That hasn't worked. I have considered time-outs, but if I were to give them a time-out, they would scream and wake up the few children who
actually fell asleep.

I would appreciate any tips/suggestions as to how to make these adorable little girls behave (and fall asleep) during nap time.

Thanks!
Cat Herder 02:23 PM 06-21-2011
Less starch in their diets, more heavy proteins. Kids diets have changed drastically in the last 5 years or so.

Lots of physical excersize in the mornings with a quiet period prior to naptime.

Have a set naptime routine, everyday...

I use a box fan, naptime cd, a dark sheet over the window and a black berry or cinn apple scented room spray to set the feel of the room (citrus the rest of the day). I then go about hand wiping toys, in the same room, without making eye contact.

I bore them to sleep.

Same thing everyday.
spud912 02:24 PM 06-21-2011
Can you separate them somehow? What I did is put a room divider between the cots so they can't see each other and stay nearby to police them until they wind down. I also start nap time with certain privileges in bed (books, stuffed animals, extra blankets) and take things away as they misbehave.
CheekyChick 02:40 PM 06-21-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
Less starch in their diets, more heavy proteins. Kids diets have changed drastically in the last 5 years or so.

Lots of physical excersize in the mornings with a quiet period prior to naptime.

Have a set naptime routine, everyday...

I use a box fan, naptime cd, a dark sheet over the window and a black berry or cinn apple scented room spray to set the feel of the room (citrus the rest of the day). I then go about hand wiping toys, in the same room, without making eye contact.

I bore them to sleep.

Same thing everyday.
They eat very healthy, get tons of exercise, and a set nap time. I will try the nap time CD and/or fan. I also like the idea of boring them to sleep. LOL!!!

Thanks for your great tips!!!
CheekyChick 02:44 PM 06-21-2011
Originally Posted by spud912:
Can you separate them somehow? What I did is put a room divider between the cots so they can't see each other and stay nearby to police them until they wind down. I also start nap time with certain privileges in bed (books, stuffed animals, extra blankets) and take things away as they misbehave.
I like the idea of a room divider... I will have to search the web for that. I also like the idea of taking privileges away. That just might work.

Thank you SO much for these great tips.
Sunshine44 07:53 PM 06-21-2011
I say seperate them if possible. Ignore them if possible.
CheekyChick 04:46 AM 06-22-2011
Originally Posted by Sunshine44:
I say seperate them if possible. Ignore them if possible.
I am considering room dividers... That may be the ticket.

Thanks for responding.
Cat Herder 06:26 PM 06-23-2011
Originally Posted by CheekyChick:
I am considering room dividers... That may be the ticket.

Thanks for responding.
Have you tried putting the play tents over them at naptime? (around $20 each at walmart)

It is a tenth of the price of the professional room dividers and has been just as effective in the past for me.

They climb into their room and cannot see each other. It may take a couple days for the "new" to wear off but worth it if it works, right?
Attached: play tent.jpg (14.9 KB) 
cheerfuldom 06:31 PM 06-23-2011
I agree, separate them.
spud912 07:58 PM 06-23-2011
For a room divider, I just use the baby gates and put a blanket on it so they can't see each other through the gate material.

I use this gate:

Instead of using it circular, I stretch it out.
Mom_of_two 08:02 PM 06-23-2011
I would separate them, too. But also I would not avoid a time out because they might wake up others. Short term pain for long term happiness. Might be a rough week or two, but the long term benefit would be worth it. I think they need to know there will be some sort of consequence (right now they think nothing will happen because nothing happens etc.) good luck- I struggle with this with one DCK, and I do give a time out or take away a privilege.
CheekyChick 08:36 PM 06-23-2011
Thank you for all of the great tips!!!

I do like the idea of the little house over the cot, especially since room dividers are much more expensive than I had thought. I also could do the gate with blankets. Hmmm... So many possibilities. Lastly, I am thisclose to giving a time-out. It's getting worse by the minute. LOL!!!
wdmmom 08:38 PM 06-23-2011
Separation and no interaction or distractions. No books, no toys, no talking. Make them lie facing the opposite direction and tell them to close their eyes. Make sure they are comfortable...pillow, blanket, and shoes off.
CheekyChick 08:54 PM 06-23-2011
Originally Posted by wdmmom:
Separation and no interaction or distractions. No books, no toys, no talking. Make them lie facing the opposite direction and tell them to close their eyes. Make sure they are comfortable...pillow, blanket, and shoes off.

They are not allowed toys or books. They are not allowed to talk, but they do.
They are not allowed to get up, but they do. They are not allowed to sing, but they do. I ask them to close their eyes and they stare at me like I'm speaking to them in German. I've got some spunky, stubborn little girls this year.
Unregistered 05:45 PM 06-24-2011
These girls probably just don't need the sleep....

SO come up with a quiet time cool down routine, work to 30 minutes down and move on with the day. I know- its a drag, this could be such useful time for a break, but its just not - its still work. They Need a quiet time, but they might not need the sensory deprivation of lying silently with eyes closed.

Try a yoga routine?

* This is of course IF the playtents don't work
Cat Herder 12:51 PM 08-03-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
These girls probably just don't need the sleep....

SO come up with a quiet time cool down routine, work to 30 minutes down and move on with the day. I know- its a drag, this could be such useful time for a break, but its just not - its still work. They Need a quiet time, but they might not need the sensory deprivation of lying silently with eyes closed.

Try a yoga routine?

* This is of course IF the playtents don't work
Actually the play tents worked well for older kids (3.5-4 years), THAT was actually the reason I bought them to begin with; I had three, 3+ year old girls...

They could quietly read, draw or color during naptime AFTER they woke up (usually about half the sleeping time of the youngers).

The tents worked because the others could not see them and they were less likely to try to wake someone up or play together. (we MUST all be in the same room)

At that age I am transitioning them to go off to Pre-k, so it is appropriate in my program to cut their nap down to 1 hour instead of the usual 2-3.

That does not work for everyone....
Tags:naptime routine
Reply Up