Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>If You Have Preschoolers
newtodaycare22 08:28 AM 06-25-2011
Does anyone have 1 younger kid that tags along? In the fall I'll have all 4 year olds and I interviewed a 2 year old that wanted to be thrown into the mix. She's smart and already knows some letters and colors, but obviously she requires a bit more. She's almost potty trained but my biggest thought it like her getting into stuff more (ie dry erase markers and scissors), which I didn't have to worry about before.

Any advice? The parent left here at 7:15 and called at 8 to reserve the spot. They seem like great people and a great kid, I'd just love to hear from anyone who has mixed ages like that, with most kids being 1 age and 1 outlier.

Thanks!
Auntie 09:15 AM 06-25-2011
Is she almost 3?
Just tell her no. All my preschoolers love to cut. (ages 33 months to first day of Kindergarten.) There are mornings where I say that section is closed.

I really don't think you will have much of an issue with her if you do just put them up. I have had 4 year olds cut their clothing not my younger ones. I think it all depends on the child.
Abigail 09:47 AM 06-25-2011
It obviously can be done, it is a matter of preference now. How many kids do you have total? Do you accept all ages including infants or are you strictly a preschool program for roughly 3-5 year olds?

I would imagine how your entire day would go with this little one in your care. Can she leave mom/dad easily or has she never had a sitter even? Can she remain sitting at the kitchen table or will she get off her chair/booster seat and want to walk around? Does she take naps if you require them and is she a good sleeper? Back to diapers for you, or perhaps just pullups, but you'll need a place to store her supplies. Do you charge more for younger ages and will she attend the same hours you're open?

Hope I gave you some ideas to think about and help you decide. In the end, it can be done, it's whether or not you want someone that young.
mrs.meg 06:08 AM 06-26-2011
I always have mixed age groups and it is difficult. We do not do any cutting because the 2 year old thinks she is as big as everyone else and would throw a FIT to cut. She has to do everything that everyone else is doing, or at least she has to "think" she is. When you have a 2 year old that is around older kids, they tend to be more mature. She communicates very well, but I will say that you have to be watching her at all times because she will get hurt trying to do things that the others are doing.

I would probably stick with preschoolers, unless you prepare yourself for more work. I think anywhere between ages 18 months to about 3, kids go through those terrible two's. Also, the temperament of the child has a lot to do with it. My 2-YO is VERY high strung, stubborn, and like little hurricane!
PitterPatter 05:37 PM 06-26-2011
When the preschoolers cut with scissors here I give the 2 and under the play-doh scissors to pretend cutting. No sharp edges just thick chunky rubber like plastic. When we do a craft I help the 2 and under by cutting the items out then they just need to do the pasting or color, piant, glitter etc.
newtodaycare22 09:38 AM 06-27-2011
Originally Posted by PitterPatter:
When the preschoolers cut with scissors here I give the 2 and under the play-doh scissors to pretend cutting. No sharp edges just thick chunky rubber like plastic. When we do a craft I help the 2 and under by cutting the items out then they just need to do the pasting or color, piant, glitter etc.
Good idea.

Thanks for all your suggestions. I decided to take the girl on. It will take a few adjustments but she is a sweet kid and I'm ready for a little less drama, after my girlie girl kindergartners leave this year. If I take a 4 year old I have to replace her next year...this way I don't have to look for someone for 3 more years (unless she moves or goes crazy)
Tags:uir
Reply Up