Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Potty Accidents-My Child
Pepperth 10:29 AM 03-20-2018
OF course its my kid. I'm a 3 and up daycare located in a private school. My son was barely potty trained when we both started, but he has been trained for months now. Recently, I changed the daycare schedule so that the daycare kids could join the preschool classes in an extra outdoor recess after lunch. (Prior to that we had a slightly earlier naptime.
Now that the weather is getting nicer, I wanted them to have the chance for more outside play.)

Its been great for the most part. The kids really enjoy it. One of my daycare helpers is one of the recess monitors, so this give me an actual lunch break as an added bonus. The problem is that my son has come in with a number #2 accident for 4 of the last 6 days now. Our routine is this: we go potty, wash hands, put on snow gear, have lunch and go outside for 30 minutes. (The whole school does it this way.) I'm thinking if my son does this again, I'll take him to the potty again after lunch, then have him suit up and go. He'll miss quite a bit of the recess, which I'm hoping will motivate him.

The only other idea I have is that since daylight savings time started, my son is sleeping in more. He used to get up before I left for work, and I'd have him sit on the potty for a while in the morning. Now he wakes up after I leave for work and his whole routine is off. I guess my other option is to start waking him in the mornings before I go to see if I can get him back into his old morning routine.

Any ideas/tips? Thanks!!
Ariana 01:34 PM 03-20-2018
If he is potty trained why does he have accidents? Why doesn’t he ask to go to the toilet? Once my children were potty trained there were never any accidents.

My recommendation would be to put him in a pullup until he is able to verbalize his need to go poop.
Pepperth 02:30 PM 03-20-2018
He had just trained when I took this job in August. He hasn't had any accidents in several months until this past week when he started pooping right after lunch while in snowpants outside. I suspect its because he doesn't want to stop playing or ask an adult to go inside. That's why I'm thinking if it cuts into his play time, it might make a difference. He's never been a fan of pooping while at school, but does at other points in the day.

Pullups are not an option at school.

I don't know. My older son spoiled me and made me feel like a great potty trainer. Even the other daycare kids I had before I started this job were a breeze. My little guy was stubborn, but had it down until this past week for some reason.
hwichlaz 04:10 PM 03-20-2018
Taking him potty before lunch won’t help if he doesn’t have to poop until after lunch. I know...that when I don’t have to go I don’t have to go...and when I gotta go I gotta go. Know what I mean?

It’s very common for you to need to poop after eating..
Ariana 04:27 PM 03-20-2018
Originally Posted by Pepperth:
He had just trained when I took this job in August. He hasn't had any accidents in several months until this past week when he started pooping right after lunch while in snowpants outside. I suspect its because he doesn't want to stop playing or ask an adult to go inside. That's why I'm thinking if it cuts into his play time, it might make a difference. He's never been a fan of pooping while at school, but does at other points in the day.

Pullups are not an option at school.

I don't know. My older son spoiled me and made me feel like a great potty trainer. Even the other daycare kids I had before I started this job were a breeze. My little guy was stubborn, but had it down until this past week for some reason.
I understand that he has not had any accidents up to this point I guess I am confused as to whether you are just taking him at specific intervals and happen to catch him when he needs to go poop or if he is really potty trained. My children ask to come inside to have a poop rather than soil themselves. My youngest daughter did not poop train until she was 4, before that she had accidents all the time and then trained herself to only poop in her pullup at night time. Now that she has finally trained she will ask to come inside rather than poop herself. My youngest trained at 3 and never had accidents either.

It is unfortunate that pullups are not allowed because unfortunately like hwichlaz mentioned when you gotta go you gotta go and when kids are trained in my experience they never soil themselves. You could certainly try to change his scheduke to catch his poop before he goes outside as that seems to be the most logical way to go about it. He seems to be pooping at a regular routine time.
jenboo 09:32 PM 03-20-2018
My own DS tells us everytime he has to go potty. Now that the weather is warmer, he has been playing in the backyard. He has an accident almost every time he is in the yard. I have no idea why???? That's the only time it happens and he tells us every other time he needs to use the potty.
Pepperth 03:04 AM 03-21-2018
He's been going to potty on his own all winter. He LOVES using the urinals at school...like thats the coolest thing ever. The toilets themselves are not as fun, but up until recently, he's been going on his own.

The weather recently took a great turn for the better. He said a few thing last night that make me think he's trying to hold it until he goes inside. I'm thinking in a few days he'll figure out that its not working for him.
Mike 06:22 AM 03-21-2018
Sounds to me like one of the girls I babysat years back. She had just recently been potty trained when I found out she can't have too much fun outside. The first couple times, she would come in wet, so I would ask after a while if she had to go. Of course the answer was no, then suddenly she was squatting down holding it. I asked again if she had to go and she still said no. Then she didn't have to any more. My solution - Have an accident, it's time to go in for the day while the others stay out. For a little while, she would try to wait as long as she could and not make it, but eventually she learned to just give up and go in when she had to.

It's so hard for kids to stop having fun just to go to the bathroom. They all figure it out and realise there is a limit to how long they can hold it.
daycarediva 10:02 AM 03-21-2018
I would be waking him earlier AND taking him potty after lunch. See which helps, maybe both, but either way giving him more opportunities to use the toilet can't hurt.
TheMisplacedMidwestMom 10:25 AM 03-21-2018
We had a very similar issue with the snow gear this year. Ds turned 3 in October, he had all the skills to be trained, but not the will. Over xmas break my step-son was up, and over night ds decided to start using the bathroom to be like big brother. He did great with no accidents... except for our first few trips out in the snow suits. One time he asked to go inside, but did not say it was for the bathroom. I thought he was just wanting to go in to play, and told him no. He had an accident. For the next few days he would not ask and the accidents continued. We finally sat down and talked specifically about needing to go potty when we were out in our snow suits. That I expected him to tell me, that he would be able to go in AND return to play with us, etc... I had assumed he would know that even when we were all dressed and outside that nothing changed with the potty plan, but apparently he didn't. He just seemed unsure about that particular situation, and once it was cleared up he was fine.

I know that probably sounds too simple... but it was all that was needed in our case.
Mike 01:30 PM 03-21-2018
Originally Posted by TheMisplacedMidwestMom:
I had assumed he would know that even when we were all dressed and outside that nothing changed with the potty plan, but apparently he didn't. He just seemed unsure about that particular situation, and once it was cleared up he was fine.

I know that probably sounds too simple... but it was all that was needed in our case.
True, even simple things are often assumed, with kids and adults. Here's a video from Facebook about this that I thought was cute.
https://www.facebook.com/LessonsTaug...4744514725837/
Tags:outdoor activities, potty trained - not, providers own child
Reply Up