Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Do You Make Lunch!?
rjskids 12:27 PM 06-08-2011
Just was wondering how you all keep kids entertained while making lunch? Especially those of you who only make homemade items! I'm having a hard enough time trying to warm up food in my microwave and keep an eye on my baby, 2 year old biter and 1 year old hitter. What do you do when you have a house full with ages baby and up?
PeanutsGalore 12:37 PM 06-08-2011
In your case, it sounds like you would have to lock them all up! Seriously, if I had a hitter and a biter, I wouldn't turn my back on them. I'd separate them in secure areas within ear and/or eye range, give them toys, and make lunch. Just make sure that whatever you give them to hold their attention, they absolutely LOVE to play with.

My son was a hair-pulling rough-housing kid when I had the screamer, who is now termed. Strangely enough, he's stopped all of that now that she's gone...he doesn't even find it fun to pull MY hair anymore! but I digress...what I would do is put my son down in front of the TV with a bucket full of legos and put on his favorite baby tv segment. That baby tv is like crack....it holds his attention for the five minutes I need to run to the bathroom, make lunch, etc. Sometimes, the legos alone would do the job, but he gets bored easily.

I would put the screamer buckled into a high chair at the lunch counter with a bottle or a snack while I made lunch. She loved to eat and it kept her quiet until the rest of lunch was ready. My son is 15 months and the screamer was 11 months.
sharlan 12:40 PM 06-08-2011
I agree, seperate them. Put the youngest into the highchair with a toy or a few tid bits of food to entertain her/him. Or set the child into a pack and play while you get lunch.
Cat Herder 12:40 PM 06-08-2011
I cook on a couple weekends a month and freeze things in catering style tin pans with lids, quart sized.

I shop and cook in BULK, my freezers will feed us for a full month if I get sick. I use fresh veggies from the farmers markets since it is MUCH cheaper in bulk.

I just take out tomorrows lunch in the afternoon, place the three containers (main dish, 2 veggies) in the fridge. Tomorrow at morning snack I will pop them into the oven.

Tomorrow is Red and Black Bean jambalaya w/beef kielbasa, broccoli and creamed corn. I will also toss in some homemade, frozen biscuits.

Does NOT get easier than that.
Blackcat31 12:48 PM 06-08-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
I cook on a couple weekends a month and freeze things in catering style tin pans with lids, quart sized.

I shop and cook in BULK, my freezers will feed us for a full month if I get sick. I use fresh veggies from the farmers markets since it is MUCH cheaper in bulk.

I just take out tomorrows lunch in the afternoon, place the three containers (main dish, 2 veggies) in the fridge. Tomorrow at morning snack I will pop them into the oven.

Tomorrow is Red and Black Bean jambalaya w/beef kielbasa, broccoli and creamed corn. I will also toss in some homemade, frozen biscuits.

Does NOT get easier than that.
Oh how I wish I lived closer to you! I'd be begging at the door! YUM!
wdmmom 12:58 PM 06-08-2011
Any child that can't be trusted must be contained...whether that be strapped in a high chair, swing, exersaucer, or play yard with toys.

I have 1 18 mo dcg that still likes to try my patience and tries to get away with throwing toys or pulling hair while I'm fixing lunch. Little does she realize this mama of 5 has been down that road 5 times before and I have eyes in the back of her head!
nannyde 01:39 PM 06-08-2011
I cook in bulk too. Just nuke and serve.
Cat Herder 02:11 PM 06-08-2011
I can't take full credit for my menus Blackcat.... Just my storage/cooking methods.

Nannyde helped overhaul my menus for both myself and a couple daycare families last year.

Mine was full of bulk Costco nuggets in every creature both known and unknown to man , fish sticks/planks and frozen pizzas that I dumped some extra cheese on to make them "healthier"...

I had to get a better cardiac diet for a really LOW sick client. I LOVED it and now cook better for my entire family. (I was a bacon grease seasoning, salt, gravy and butter addict)

Bonus, I just got my labs back after my physical and they were perfect!!! My DH's were better than they had been in 10 years.
nannyde 02:20 PM 06-08-2011
I can't take full credit for my menus Blackcat.... Just my storage/cooking methods.

Nannyde helped overhaul my menus for both me and a couple daycare families last year.
Nothing better than spending your day with little kids that eat really well.
Cat Herder 02:32 PM 06-08-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
Nothing better than spending your day with little kids that eat really well.
....And keeping them out of the hospital and off feeding tubes..
Unregistered 03:10 PM 06-08-2011
They sit at the table and watch me cook in great anticipation of lunch! Sometimes I will put an educational show on the small kitchen tv, we will chat etc.........I prep ahead but they are used to seeing me cook and bake and often get to help! My younger ones are in booster chairs that attach onto my kitchen chairs and if I have any who do not respect the "personal space" rule they are strategically placed so as not to reach others. I also have a time out chair nearby but rarely have to use it. I love our little chats while I make lunch they are so darn funny!!
heyhun77 03:54 PM 06-08-2011
In the summer I do box lunches so everything is ready the night before with fruit and sandwich (or whatever the protein is) in the box and a fresh veggie tray prepared. In the winter I do mostly casseroles that just pop in the oven or food that can be in the slowcooker. Then I just have to prep the veg and fruit and we're ready to go.
SimpleMom 04:03 PM 06-08-2011
I have activities for the kids (quiet things) and movie/show that's educational if need be. The babies/toddlers are seated for lunch while I make it. This way I know they are safe.
Meyou 05:37 AM 06-09-2011
I cook some things in advance and freeze them so they just need to go in the oven. I cook in bulk around certain sales. Other days I do my food prep the night before or in the morning between 9 and 10 when the kids are usually calm and playing well with quiet games in the playroom. I do all the chopping and measuring and even put pots of water on the stove for anything I need to cook. Then I can just dump and check on it from time to time. Plus with no prep it only takes a few minutes to cook in most cases.
PitterPatter 09:07 AM 06-09-2011
I cook everything fresh usually. I get the kids inside at 11:30 and allow them to have blocks and play in the dining room or sit them in the living room with a video or sprout once in a while. I usually don't have any spats in that brief time. If they have blocks they are right there in the dining room which has a giant barn like door opening I can see everything from the kitchen counter/stove. My kitchen is also close to the living room and I can lean my head around the door and see them on the sofa. Once in a while they will start running and I remind them that we have walking feet and return them to the room. Once lunch is started I sit with them until I need to do final prep. I get the kids hands washed and sit them at the table. Go do final prep and dish out the plates and serve them. Not bad at all here, thank God!! (I better find some wood to knock on huh)
Blackcat31 10:36 AM 06-09-2011

Nannyde helped overhaul my menus for both myself and a couple daycare families last year.

Mine was full of bulk Costco nuggets in every creature both known and unknown to man , fish sticks/planks and frozen pizzas that I dumped some extra cheese on to make them "healthier"...

I had to get a better cardiac diet for a really LOW sick client. I LOVED it and now cook better for my entire family. (I was a bacon grease seasoning, salt, gravy and butter addict)

Bonus, I just got my labs back after my physical and they were perfect!!! My DH's were better than they had been in 10 years.
Okay, well then I am going to come knocking on Nan's door.....but I gotta get my hands on some moose meat first .....that way I know she'll for sure let me in!
Cat Herder 10:41 AM 06-09-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Okay, well then I am going to come knocking on Nan's door.....but I gotta get my hands on some moose meat first .....that way I know she'll for sure let me in!
She takes venison or fresh fish, too you know....
WImom 11:09 AM 06-09-2011
That is the only time a day that the kids get to watch tv so they usually will sit nice and watch. If they can't then they can come in the kitchen and read books.

When I had a biter once that's what he did every day - sat and looked at books or colored. He pretty much shadowed me.
nannyde 11:15 AM 06-09-2011
She takes venison or fresh fish, too you know....
Don't forget caribou and wabbit.

I love myself some Rudolph and Bugs
Blackcat31 12:34 PM 06-09-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
Don't forget caribou and wabbit.

I love myself some Rudolph and Bugs
good to know
kimmi 04:51 PM 06-09-2011
1 year olds in high chairs, all the older kids at table and pop in about a 30 min. educational video (we call them learning videos), and im all set to cook! Works great! Videos done, lunch is ready.
Missani 12:50 PM 06-10-2011
Mmmoooooooooooooooose!
Tags:lunch, lunch - making time
Reply Up